Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
The red handle has managed to stay on my copy of this tool, but I'll try that life-hack if it ever does not cooperate. :cool: If duct tape is the red-neck way to make something stay put, then PL adhesive is the educated mech's way to put any two things together and make sure they stay together! (y)

I performed a valve adjustment on a 1993 Accord without this magnificent tool, and I had to go back a couple of times for a "re-do" to get the lash adjusted just right.

Enter this little Honda-oriented valve adjustment tool. I've had to adjust valves on four different Hondas with this helpful guy over the years, and it definitely reduces the number of "comebacks" to reset the lash after tightening the jam nut. This tool makes the job so much less fatiguing and tedious.

OF

Reactions: Pixburd54

·
Registered
207 Posts
Haha . . . Duct tape is so 90's . . . these Honda's deserve at least Gorilla Glue at a minimum.

Sorry to hear about the Re-Do's. I feel a little sick to my stomach just thinking about doing that again.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
207 Posts
Man, now you got me thinking of adjusting my 99 @ 238k with this tool. Never done any adjustment since I got it. Doubt if my bro in law did it either 11 yrs ago. Cars running fine. Can you really tell the noise difference before and after adjustments?
I really need to fix my idle problem first, then start the engine outside on a cold morning to really compare, but so far I am hearing NO valve tapping. The engine is quieter, and hopefully lasts as long as yours.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Can you really tell the noise difference before and after adjustments?
Well, the first time I performed a valve adjustment on one of our Odysseys, I thought, "I'll just adjust to the widest end of the valve lash specification for all of them. Surely, that must be safest."

It was a bit noisier than I expected it would be. Finally, out of pride's sake, I just opened up everything, again, and did it over, this time staying right in the middle of the specification, or tighter.

Sounded much better after I did it twice! 🤓

OF

Reactions: Pixburd54

·
Registered
207 Posts
Talking to the shop foreman at the local Honda dealership, I was surprised by a comment he made -- his dealership really doesn't do any valve lash adjustments. He felt Honda/Acura owners just don't bother with it.

Perhaps some of this has to do with those who keep their Honda's long after the warranty expires, and don't use dealers for service.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you "hacked" the handle like I did? The first time I used it, the red handle slid off and my knuckle hit something metal. With a shot of PL-1 inside, now ... it's the "best tool ever!"
What is PL-1? I searched and found a Loctite PL (polyurethane adhesive), but nothing with a number attached. Figured I might buy some if I could find it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
What is PL-1? I searched and found a Loctite PL (polyurethane adhesive), but nothing with a number attached. Figured I might buy some if I could find it!
Yeah, that's it. I guess they changed it to PL 3X stronger. Sorry. It's a great construction adhesive which I always keep loaded in a caulking gun. I found a way to keep it from hardening in the tube after using it by sealing the end of the tube with that silver peal off duct tape. (Not that cloth stuff.)

1615215960099.png

Reactions: spiritof76
21 - 29 of 29 Posts