Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to adjust the valves and replace the spark plugs on my 2007/VCM Odyssey ~ 105K Miles. What parts should I be getting for this?

Here's what I have for a list so far:

two valve cover gaskets 12341-RCA-A01 (Quantity 2)
FSM does not mention replacing - but they're inexpensive $6 each if I have the right part - so just replace?

two intake manifold gaskets 17146-RCA-A01 and 17146-R70-A01 (One each)
FSM says to replace the gasket (not two). It also says not to unscrew the bolts holding the upper manifold to the lower one. Does that mean I only need one gasket?.

Hondabond (or permatex) for rear valve bank: HondaBond (1.9 oz) 08718-0004 (Quantity 1)
Spark plug tube oil seals 12342-RYE-004 (Quantity 6)

NGK Spark Plugs 9807B-5517W (Quantity 6)

Are these (90442-P8A-A00 - WASHER, HEAD COVER) rubber parts that should just be replaced or can they be evaluated and only the "bad" ones replaced?
There are 10 of them at $3.40 each, so I don't want to replace them all if only a few will actually need it.

I'd like to assemble a tools list for this job to to avoid having to run out to the parts store in the middle of the job. Below is list of stuff that need to come apart and tools. It's very incomplete, but hopefully I can get it filled in.

Feeler gauges 7-14 thousandths

Socket for turning camshaft
flat tip screwdriver
wrench for valves
wrench for spark plugs (do I need the rubber insert to make life easier)
socket for valve cover bolts
intake duct screws/bolts
upper intake bolts and nuts
spark plug harness bolts
cylinder head cover bolts
power steering hose bracket mounting bilt
harness holder mounting bolts
engine ground cable bolt

·
Registered
2005 Odyssey 210,000 miles
199 Posts
Not sure about tools or parts, but I understand doing a valve adj. on this engine is a real pain in the rear. I had a dealer do it, and it did seem to run smoother. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer wants $780 to do spark plugs and valves. If I can get the parts for ~$100 I'm happy to spend one or two days to save the other $680.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
- The Valve adjustment, I understand the book says do the valve adjustment after 100K, but many people in forum say at 100K, most of them are sill within specs. So unless your valves make noise, then leave them alone now. Personally, I'd adjust the valves at around 150K or so.

- The spark plug issue: use NGK brand. I wrote a DIY with all the detail in forum, please search for it.
I think at 107K all you need is 6 new spark plugs.

- Don't forget the timing belt job.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think you should try a different dealership. Plugs are fairly easy to do and you can get the OEM plugs much cheaper than what a dealer wants (try RockAuto.com), so a no brainer to DIY. I had the valve adjustment done when the timing belt was replaced and as I recall it was only about $200. Are you doing the timing belt too? At 105k it is recommended.

·
Registered
199 Posts
CNN- We must have been typing at the same time. I had a slight miss at idle and a little research indicated it might be a valve adj. issue. The adjustment seemed to take care it. This was at 109k miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The timing belt job is done.

My understanding is that the exhaust values on these engines get tight and won't make noise so it's prudent to do the check on schedule. Am I mistaken?

The dealer wants $222 to do the plugs and $517 to check/adjust the valves. I'd happily pay $200 to have the valves checked/adjusted at the dealer.

Does anyone know what the factory flat rate time is for the valve adjustment job?

[edit] I was able to edit this post, but I can't seem to edit my original post. I have some tool info I was going to add to it. I guess I can't update that post? [/edit]

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I did this before my timing belt. To fix my oil leak around valve covers, changed gaskets and seals. Adjusted valves.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/24-1999-2004-odyssey/187498-oil-leaks-around-engine-block.html

Check out post 27, 34, and 64 in particular.

Make sure to get the gasket kit or individual items (gasket, spark plug seals, cover bolt washers). Tools for sp are socket, 6" extension, a telescoping magnet (opt), and ratchet.

Tools for valve adj work are homedepot 42 mm bolt washer (1-3/4 in), piece of wood, c-clamp, normal sockets, and feeler gauge with .229 and .305.

Since you have to take out the plenium, same procedure for EGR port cleaning and then few things more...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Oh, forgot. Make sure to see the Eric the car guy on valve adjustment on V6. That gives you an idea. Just as mentioned all (most) of intakes were tight and exhausts were loose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's what I ended up ordering. I asked the vendor to double check the gaskets vs my vin.

(2) 12030-RGL-A01 GASKET SET, HEAD COVER
(6) 9807B-5517W Honda Spark Plug (Odyssey, Pilot, Ridgeline)
(1) 17105-RCA-A01 GASKET, IN. MANIFOLD
(1) 17146-R70-A01 GASKET, IN. MANIFOLD COVER (UPPER)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
what about throttle body gasket? I am planning to do the job in the spring and planned on getting the front and rear valve cover kits from Honda and Throttle body gasket.
There is a special valve adjustment tool for Honda's, which is a screwdriver and a socket wrench in one. I got one of these to make the job easier.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
According to Eric The Car Guy, if you remove the throttle body carefully you should not have to replace it.
I love ETCG, he is a great guy and a great mechanic. However, he practices do as I say not as I do mentality some times.
I believe in the same video he reuses the valve cover gaskets, due to old one still being flexible. Not knocking on the guy at all.
In past when disconnecting throttle bodies, I have experienced varying results, mostly depending on gasket material.
I would rather waste $1 than get stuck with needing a gasket in the middle of the job, so $1 I will be buying the gasket when I do the job.
Max

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That strategy makes sense. I have to to get a look at the throttle body. I was thinking it could just be left on the manifold.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Ekim,
how did you make out? The spring is finally here, if you can call it that :-(
I am getting ready to order the parts.
Can you provide feedback, what gaskets you ended up needing, how the job went, so on?
thanks
Max

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the parts, but didn't do the job yet. I've been waiting for a weekend that doesn't have other things going on AND where the weather is good both days. I'm hoping that will be soon....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have the parts, but didn't do the job yet. I've been waiting for a weekend that doesn't have other things going on AND where the weather is good both days. I'm hoping that will be soon....
I have been working on other people's cars non-stop even with this crappy weather we have in New England, no time to work on my own cars. I guess first one who finishes the job, posts in this thread :D
Whats your final parts count?
Did you get both intake manifold gaskets?
Throttle body gasket?
thanks
Max

1 - 20 of 33 Posts