Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any special steps to checking or adjusting the valves? Is it just: gain access, TDC on compression, check lash, adjust if necessary?

I tried searching on here but didn't really come up with anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Why are you adjusting them? Codes? Maintenance?

Remove the valve covers. Pop the TDC counter on the front bank cover. Adjust to spec. Rotate crank till next TDC number appears on the pointer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maintenance.
I need to do the timing belt too so I will just do it all while I'm in there.
Sounds staight foward enough. Thanks

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
You dont remove the valve covers to do a t-belt. The front cover is easy enough. The back one is a bit more work, you have to loosen the wire harness to wiggle it out.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My ODY has 106K miles on it. I dropped it off for timing belt replacement at the dealership today
I asked about valve adjustment and sparkplug replacement and the quoted me $400 plus $200 respectively. I said no thank you and asked them to just do the timing belt job.
Could anyone tell me what are the tools I will need to do the valve adjustment and sparkplug replacement myself and how much time I can expect to take for this
I do not have a way to hoist the car so that isnt an option
I picked up the OEM Platinum NGK sparkplugs from advance auto parts for about $7 each delivered. If I have the valve adjustment and sparkplug replacement done by a shop, how much can I expect to pay for this

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Pay the $400 and get them to do the valve adjustment. If you are not mechanically inclined it can be almost impossible for a hack to do.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Although, if you are going to pay them $400, you need a way to verify that it was actually done. This is one job where a shop has the highest incentive to play hard and fast with the truth. Translation:- You are in no position to know if they actually do this or not.

Do the spark plug by yourself first. Once that is done, do the EGR passageway cleanup. Now you will be in a position to appreciate and understand what is involved in valve adjustment. You can put some sharpie markers on the internal to know if the valve cover job will be really done or not. There are quite a few Odys running without valve clearance job at almost twice the mileage that you have.

Reading your other reply regarding the timing belt and the motor mount experience, I see that you understand how dealer can play with the truth.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Could anyone tell me what are the tools I will need to do the valve adjustment and sparkplug replacement myself and how much time I can expect to take for this
Here are some links to extensive DIY instructions on valve adjustment on older Acura V6. Similar to Odyssey. Gets a bit involved. After review, should be able to decide if it is a do it yourself job for you. If you can do brakes and can get the tools needed which are not unusual or costly for auto repair, you would likely be skillful enough to learn to adjust valves.
Must have feeler gauge. Bent or straight ok. 12mm, 10mm and other sockets, socket handle, extensions. Good to have inch pound torque wrench for valve adjust screws but not absolutely necessary. Pliers, screwdrivers to remove hoses and connectors. Digital camera. Photos of everything you do to help you put it back the first time. Do not need to jack up car to adjust valves. Time? Possibly 6 hrs the first time.
Should probably do Egr passage cleaning also at same time as it also involves removing the upper intake manifold.

Valve Adjustment Pics - AcuraZine Community

Valve Adjustment DIY in progress - AcuraZine Community

1 - 9 of 9 Posts