Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that Honda still uses adjustable rocker arms as opposed to hydraulic or similar self-adjusting mechanisms--but instead of specifying a valve adjustment period, they now say "adjust valves when they make noise".

I think that's marketing hoo-hah, put out by the marketing people who don't want to scare people away with an agressive maintenance schedule.

My mechanic agrees; he says even quiet valves that are too tight will cause problems, and that Hondas need regular valve adjustments, period.

He hasn't done any on an Ody yet, but he says it'll probably be a real bear.

Any opinions on this?

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
It seems that Honda still uses adjustable rocker arms as opposed to hydraulic or similar self-adjusting mechanisms--but instead of specifying a valve adjustment period, they now say "adjust valves when they make noise".

I think that's marketing hoo-hah, put out by the marketing people who don't want to scare people away with an agressive maintenance schedule.

My mechanic agrees; he says even quiet valves that are too tight will cause problems, and that Hondas need regular valve adjustments, period.

He hasn't done any on an Ody yet, but he says it'll probably be a real bear.

Any opinions on this?
</font>

Yeah, I read that in the owners manual. "Adjust them when they start making noise!" Oh sure! If it's anything like every other car I've owned that had manual lifters, it'll tighten up with mileage. This is normal BTW, especially in a new engine that is still seating valves! You'll know you've got a problem when the engine starts burning valves.

It's just something else to keep an eye on.

Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree. When the valves make noise, you're in GOOD shape, though the sound may be annoying. The dangerous thing is when they're too tight, and very quiet. Aggh. I hate hearing this stuff coming from one of the best engine-building companies out there.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hydraulic and manual lifters in an overhead cam engine? What overhead cam engines have them? I'm not up to date on the newer engines and am curious. I always thought that the reason for manual lifters in high rpm pushrod engines was to prevent "pump up" and the results thereof.

Regards
Al

[This message has been edited by albaby (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently test-drove a '99 LX (28k miles) at a Honda dealer. Upon starting the engine I noticed a "ticking" noise from the engine. Even after warming it up during a test drive the noise was very prevalent at idle. I asked their mechanic to check the noise and he said it sounded like the valves needed adjustment. Well, it turns out there was/is a design flaw with either the pistons or the sleeves, which apparently caused some "scoring". The Honda Tech Line people knew of this problem and are replacing the short block (an updated version) under warranty.

So, be wary of what sounds like loose valves since it may be a much bigger problem that is not well known.

------------------

·
Registered
215 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by juddster:
Well, it turns out there was/is a design flaw with either the pistons or the sleeves, which apparently caused some "scoring". The Honda Tech Line people knew of this problem and are replacing the short block (an updated version) under warranty.

</font>
I don't believe the Ody engine has sleeved cylinders.

Regards
Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts