Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
IMHO. If it is not leaking, let it be. When it does leak, then replace. In the future, you may have "other" issues, which
require taking off the valve covers, then it would be a good time to pro-active, replace gaskets....:)

·
Registered
655 Posts
No to neutral. Your engine will turn quite readily in P, as it does when you start it up and just before you turn it off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is there only one camshaft cover seal or two? If there are 2 of them, where is the location of the other one?
Thank you
There are two of them. There is one behind the egr valve I the front and one in a similar location in the back under the VVT/vtec area. I changed mine because they were leaking.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
One more question regarding Valve adjustment;
When I want to manually turn the engine from the passenger side with a long wrench in order to get the valves on each cylinder adjusted, does the gear shifter on the car need to be in neutral position?
Any other recommendations in respect to the valve adjustment is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
No, you do can leave it in park.

Here is a good video that covers the valve covers.
Honda J Series V6 Valve Adjustment (Part 1) -EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

·
Registered
27 Posts
Speaking of Torque wrench and torque specs.
There are many different torque specs and patterns on Honda forums about the Valve cover and Intake manifold / Plenum bolts.
I appreciate if some one who did this most recently would tell me the pattern and torque specs on the Valve cover and also on the intake manifold plenum cover bolts.
Thank you very much
Here is my cheat sheet. 3 steps means go around the bolts at least three times before finishing them off.

·
Registered
13,350 Posts
The Mahle and Victor/Reinz gaskets are my go-to gaskets. In most cases they are identical to the OE gaskets from Honda. I would bet my lunch money that's who makes them but I can't prove it. That's how identical they are. High quality stuff at a fraction of the cost. In my opinion, as Aisin is to timing belt kits, Mahle is to gaskets.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There are two of them. There is one behind the egr valve I the front and one in a similar location in the back under the VVT/vtec area. I changed mine because they were leaking.

This camshaft cover was part of my nightmare once. I tried to remove it because the seal was also leaking, and in my haste and foolishness, I pried it a bit too hard and the cover broke into two. btw, it didn't take a lot of force before it broke into two pieces. 😭

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good afternoon,

I have a 2007 Odyssey EX-L with 203K miles on it. I think it is time to replace the Valve cover Gaskets. I looked at several threads in this forum but did not exactly found the answer to my questions. My first question is;
1- In respect to the parts needed for this job is this Kit all I need?
Or do I need to replace more parts?
2- I hared it is a pain to get to the rear valve cover at the firewall, any suggestions to make it easier?
- If I want the Original Honda parts, any one has the part number? The Honda catalog is very confusing and does not exactly say in detail which parts are included in the package and for instance only for the front side it asks $185 and the same for the firewall side?!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Look on any dealership's website that offers Honda OEM parts at a discount. Some charge a service fee, others charge varying amounts of sometimes more expensive postage.
The Mahle and Victor/Reinz gaskets are my go-to gaskets. In most cases they are identical to the OE gaskets from Honda. I would bet my lunch money that's who makes them but I can't prove it. That's how identical they are. High quality stuff at a fraction of the cost. In my opinion, as Aisin is to timing belt kits, Mahle is to gaskets.
The Victor Reinz kit for a 2007 Ex-L is about $15, plus a few dollars shipping, on rockauto.com. I have always used Permatex silicone sealants from the local auto parts store. I have never had issues with any of these products. Be sure to get an oil and gas resistant (silicone) sealant for valve cover gaskets.

I see no need to spend any more than this to replace the valve cover gaskets - nothing to lose, nothing to gain with OEM.

I would also suggest you look on rockauto.com for any parts you may need, because the pictures often show what these parts actually look like, with names for the parts in a kit. Peruse this website as a learning experience before you buy parts. Most of us here have found what they sell to be of good quality.

Some of the parts brands you may not recognize are the same as OEM parts at maybe a third of the cost, just in a different box. For example, some "Standard" branded parts may be the Denso brand, which is Honda OEM for some parts, like the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, which, from rockauto.com, is likely to be a third of the OEM price - with no service fee from a dealer!

Valve cover gasket replacement is a good learning job for a beginner. Clean off the valve cover and surrounding areas before removal, to keep the grime and grit out of the engine. If you use a degreaser, keep the water off of the relay and fuse boxes.

I have always bought the tools to do a job before paying someone to do it for me. Get yourself that 1/4" torque wrench - and a 3/8-incher when they show up on sale. This forum is a very useful tool, as are U-Tube videos. As always, evaluate and check out whatever information you find, before you leap.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The trick to getting the rear valve cover off is to take the power steering pump off so that you can remove the wiring harness bolt under it. This little bolt holds down the wiring harness that is in the way of the cover. Just remove two bolts on the PS pump an you’ll see it. No need to drain and disconnect the hoses. Well worth the 5 min to save all that hassle.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Also make sure you guide the spark plug tube seals to the outside of the tubes. They can easily get pinched and ripped. Do the front first so you can see how to guide them on properly. This is the hardest part of the job to get right IMO. It easiest to screw up and have to redo it completely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One more question regarding Valve adjustment;
When I want to manually turn the engine from the passenger side with a long wrench in order to get the valves on each cylinder adjusted, does the gear shifter on the car need to be in neutral position?
Any other recommendations in respect to the valve adjustment is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
I just did for my 2005 Odyssey last November. The car no need to be in neutral position. Be very careful when you put rear cover back, don't over tight the screws. I broke one, took a trip to AutoZone, bought tools to remove the broken screw. Make sure the spark plug tubes are alignment with robber booth. I made mistake first time, caused engine oil leaking, then do it again. Can't see it, 2nd time I use finger to make sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Also make sure you guide the spark plug tube seals to the outside of the tubes. They can easily get pinched and ripped. Do the front first so you can see how to guide them on properly. This is the hardest part of the job to get right IMO. It easiest to screw up and have to redo it completely.
I used a little motor oil on the under side of the seal to help them slip over.

That reminds me, I was doing this job in the cold. I opted to use a torch to (quickly) warm the old seals to help get them out. Be careful not to score the metal under the seal when prying them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon,

I have a 2007 Odyssey EX-L with 203K miles on it. I think it is time to replace the Valve cover Gaskets. I looked at several threads in this forum but did not exactly found the answer to my questions. My first question is;
2- I hared it is a pain to get to the rear valve cover at the firewall, any suggestions to make it easier?
- If I want the Original Honda parts, any one has the part number? The Honda catalog is very confusing and does not exactly say in detail which parts are included in the package and for instance only for the front side it asks $185 and the same for the firewall side?!

Thank you
Hello, There it’s going to be fun DIY but you can do it, 1st of all give yourself a favorite go to your nearest Honda dealership to the part department and they will look for all the gaskets and seal you need they are very helpful just tell them you tech friend is doing the job and that you want to get all the part he needs and they will help you the parts are not that expensive they should be no more than 200 for everything, the reason you need to use OE because the other brands don’t seal properly and they will leak oil right after you have done all the work, good luck and let me know how it goes. The best thing is to enjoy working on you ride if you don’t like getting dirty just pay a good mechanic shop to do it for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon,

Thank you
You may need also throttle body gasket!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts