Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put my wife's 2008 Odyssey back together and ran into a problem with the gasket for the valve covers. As you can see from the photo, one valve cover is about 2 inches longer than the other (this is NOT a camera trick), so it seems too short for the long cover and too long for the short cover. Also, the gaskets appear to be exactly the same, which means that the two little alignment bumps that fit into their locations fit on one cover, but not the other (short one) because they are in the wrong place with respect to each other.

Did I get the wrong gasket set from Rock Auto?
Am I missing something?

Anyone?

Odyssey valve covers.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,691 Posts
What's your trim level? The VCM gaskets are different.

·
Registered
239 Posts
+1, you got gaskets for an EX (non VCM) which are wrong. You have an EX-L or Touring VCM engine, and the 2 gaskets are different, and include molded corners for the back cover to fit into the "notch".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You were all correct. I had not considered trim level when ordering from Rock Auto (they all looked the same at the time). I was able to get an EX-L set at the local parts store and got them on tout suite. I can hopefully used the leftovers on my 2003 Pilot, but we shall see.

Meanwhile, it sounds like I have the dreaded VCM, which means I should look into a "muzzler". If any of you can point me to the best forum thread on VCM and/or Muzzlers, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks to all of you for putting me on the right path.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts