Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Valve guide seal replacment

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  rbhollabaugh 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 oddy 4 cylinder fa23..So I have been quoted 1900 bucks to do Vavle guide seals 100 bucks for parts that's 2k in total now I have watched utube and seems easily done with the tools but is an air compressor actually necessary and why I don't have 2 k to do so trying to save where i can any help advise would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
You might get more replies by re-posting in the international forum. This forum is the correct year for yours, but it's for the larger Canada and US 6-cylinder model.

#8 ·
I don't know if this can be done on an Ody engine but...
I've replaced valve seals on some engines by putting the piston at TDC with valves closed. Used a piece of cotton clothesline into the spark plug hole and down onto the piston to keep the valves from falling in.
Then used a Harbor Freight spring compressor to take the keepers out and remove springs. Replaced the worn out (due to age) seals and re-assembled.

#9 ·
^ +1

And unless you have massive leakdown, a reasonably small compressor <$50 should handle keeping the valve from falling in, instead of the clothesline.

#10 ·
I've done it with the compressor also. Each way has it's problems. Once I could not get the clothesline out. It was in there and it was jammed up. I was just about to give up and take the head off. but it came out.
WIth the air compressor it's possible to accidentally push the valve open and then with the big air leak the valve drops. But it does not drop too far since it hits the piston.
Here's the harbor freight tool I use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.