Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 02 odyseey with 146k on it and I have no idea what has been done. Have had a recent significant drop in MPG. I eyeballed the timing belt and looks in good shape. Seeing as the interval for change is 105k I'm hoping it has been changed. But considering drop in MPG I want to check my valves. Although I am tech savy I can't for the life of me find any good threads on vale lash proceedures and specs. Could someone familiar with this site point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You need to obtain the factory service manual. Google might be of some help. Failing that, at least pick up Haynes manual from local auto parts store.

There are very few documented valve adjustment in this forum. But they are there. I do not recall any guide or pictorial though.

If you are not sure if the timing belt was changed or not, just assume it was not. Generally, a good mechanic will put a sticker or something on the timing belt cover to indicate that it was changed. The chances are previous owner did not spend the money and unloaded the van.

Now if you want to change the timing belt, there are quite a few "how-to-do"s here.

- Vikas

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Your valves could need adjustment, but that wouldn't cause a sudden drop in MPG. How is the basic stuff - spark plugs, tire pressure, fuel injectors, ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spark plugs new. Tire Pressure ok. Just ran a can of seafoam through tank. What else should I look for??

·
Registered
247 Posts
Perhaps check to see if a coil has failed causing a spark plug to not spark. Plenty of threads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts