Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 98k miles on my '04 Odyssey, and some ticking which has been getting worse over the past 10k miles, so I decided to tackle a valve adjustment and spark plug replacement this past weekend.

My question:

When checking the valve lash clearance with a feeler gauge, can someone shed some light on how much drag should be felt when the correct setting is found?

For example, should I tighten it all the way until the feeler gauge won't pull out then back it out just enough for it to move? Or;

Should it just barely scrape the feeler gauge? Or;

Should pulling in and out with the gauge cause some scraping on the gauge?

The reason I am asking this is because after the adjustment the engine now sounds like a diesel.... :) When I initially checked the clearances, ALL of my exhaust valves were too tight for the gauge each time checked a new bank.

This seems so subjective, but I'd love to have some help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is REALLY hard to describe in words (and note, I have not done valves on an Ody, but on a few different cars and on my motorcycle, feeler gauge use is general and applies to all)

You want 'light drag' - it should not be TIGHT, hard to pull out, but you should feel some slight grip from the valve on the gauge while pulling it out.

Pretend you have a weight sitting on the valve putting force on the valve opening. A 5 pound weight would be too much pressure, you want something in the 1 pound range. Just enough that you can feel the pressure when you slide the gauge out.

Also, make 100% sure you have the right size gauge :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Another question, same subject, if anyone would like to answer :)

I redid the entire valve adjustment, I was confident the valve lash settings were correct, and after putting everything together it sounded absolutely perfect and ran real nice. Problem is, about 45 minutes later, it started sounding like a diesel again...

Any ideas?

Anyone know the torque settings for the 10mm nuts on the valve adjustment screw? I can't imagine they came loose, but that's the only thing I can think of. I made sure the oil level is good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Once I had it expained to me this way, put the feeler gauge in the middle of your Yellow/white pages phone book and close the book over the gauge . Now pull the gauge out slowly. This is the DRAG you should feel when the valve adjuster is set AFTER tightening the jam nut!

Now this is subjective as every region has a different size phone book, so use some judgement and you should get the right clearance. Generally the manufacturer will give a min/max range for the clearance so if you use the mid range spec you can't go wrong.

As for the tick returning, I can only suggest you go back and recheck the clearances and see if they have opened up. If that has occured then you may not have the jam nuts tightened enough. Or you are setting the valves in the wrong position when making your adjustments.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
HeavyDuty, I've been on vacation and just got your reply. The engine should be at air temp. or at worst warm to the touch. If you can't hold your hand on the valve cover without getting the ouch factor, it's too hot to adjust the valves. So be patient and let it cool down while you enjoy your favourite bevy or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts