Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bit the bullet and did it. Stripped the top end of the engine down so I could check the valve lash. Took me about 6 hours total (hand tools only).

Van is a 2003 Ody with 187,000 miles

I had done the front bank previously a couple years ago when I was cleaning out EGR passages, but had to chicken out of the rears as it was 11pm by the time I was done with the front bank and the next day was a work day. This time I planned better and got it all done.

Like last time, the front bank was both factory new spotless clean (Mobil 1 since 3k miles) and the valves were in pretty good adjustment, ever so slightly tight if anything.

The rear bank had a LOT more varnish, probably due to the PCV valve (replaced at ~150k) being there, but no sign of oil sludge/gel. The rear intake valves were pretty good in general, but the exhaust valves were tight, especially cylinder #3 which I couldn't even get the feeler gage to slide into until I loosened it!

The engine sounds and feels the same, but I'm glad I did it nevertheless. That #3 exhaust valve would have been trouble eventually (it had never been adjusted before). I hope to pass 250k with this van before giving it up.

If you've got a high miles Ody and you own a good set of hand tools, it's worth doing.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is the jam nut 10mm or 12mm on Odyssey? Also are there any time savings if done with the timing belt? I thought I had asked that question before and I recall the answer being "NO".

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it's running great, is there any reason to check them?
Does the old saying, "don't fix something that's not broke", apply here?
Or maybe more applical "don't spend alot on a car with a transmission that's on borrowed time"

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Is the jam nut 10mm or 12mm on Odyssey? Also are there any time savings if done with the timing belt? I thought I had asked that question before and I recall the answer being "NO".
10mm. There is no overlap with a timing belt.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loose vlaves make a clattering noise. Tight valves make no sounds and probably won't show any smptoms until a valve get burnt.

A Gator transmission rebuild will cost me $2,500 when it comes along. Even if the whole van only lasts me a year after that I'm money ahead over buying anew one.

I'm sure a pro could do it much faster than me. Better tools, better training, more familiarity. I sit at a desk for a living.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Changing a timing belt is NOT fun. You have to take the battery hold-down (the long, threaded rod bent at on end) and screw it in upside down near the timing belt tensioner to get the belt on...basically impossible without doing that. You also need a six-sided crank pulley tool (really long handle for torque), which most people will not have--I didn't and I have a LOT of tools.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Changing a timing belt is NOT fun. You have to take the battery hold-down (the long, threaded rod bent at on end) and screw it in upside down near the timing belt tensioner to get the belt on...basically impossible without doing that. You also need a six-sided crank pulley tool (really long handle for torque), which most people will not have--I didn't and I have a LOT of tools.
Ah, no. No need to screw it into tensioner. Crank holder tool easily available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts