Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey that I just bought and the timing belt broke within a week of driving and it bent 3 cylinders valves and I need to replace them or fix them what should I do

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear that. What mileage and do you know if previous owners had replaced it. If there are some records of timing belt replaced timely you could ask shop/dealer that replaced timing belt to cover the cost. I wish auto manufacturers would use only timing chain or have non-interference engines. I am hearing this kind of issues in hondas more often. Timing belt can break even if replaced like it did in my toyota camry, but it was non-interference meaning all I had to do was get another timing belt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah only a hundred and twenty four thousand miles on it and I don't know anything about the previous owners or anything I bought it at an auction so what should I do should I just buy new valves or should I by the new heads with the thousand and I have no idea I'm new to this and I don't really turn around Ranch

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah only a hundred and twenty four thousand miles on it and I don't know anything about the previous owners or anything I bought it at an auction so what should I do should I just buy new valves or should I by the new heads with the thousand and I have no idea I'm new to this and I don't really turn around Ranch
Just age cracks (1999) alone could be at cause if that was the original belt. Donate it if you are sure about the leakage. My 01 had severe cracks all around when I did it 2 years ago at 172K.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The only way to really no which way to go is to pull the heads and inspect them, the block and the pistons. Typically people rebuild the heads instead of replacing them as long as the head itself isn't damaged.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bank 1(rear) or bank 2(front)?

You will need to take the head off, examine the valves, seats, guides, replace various gaskets, self locking nuts.

Hi I have a 1999 Honda Odyssey that I just bought and the timing belt broke within a week of driving and it bent 3 cylinders valves and I need to replace them or fix them what should I do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts