Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am one of the unfortunate souls that had excessive oil use change to very excessive use after the piston ring warranty extension expired. The rear three sets of rings were replaced, but had no impact on oil usage (quart every 100 miles smoking heavily). Then remaining three replaced and all seems back to normal oil usage (knock on wood). However, after the first ring replacement the valve sounds are very loud. Much louder than before any work was done. Had it at a former master tech's shop for unrelated issue and asked him and he said yes it sounds too loud and coming from rear cylinders.

My question is this: When a ring job is done and everything re-assembled, are there adjustments that need to be made to the valves as part of normal re-assembly? Be it shims or some other adjustment? If so, then the dealer should have to make that adjustment that they should have made during re-assembly as it is still under their limited warranty.

Thanks in advance for responses.

Puter

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah thats not good. You don't need to adjust the valves after unless their is an issue or it's never been done per customer request. You rings either are bad, cylinder walls are bad or we're bad prior or rings were not gapped properly. Rings expand when hot so if their isn't enough clearance between the ring gap than it will run into your cylinder walls. I would also check with a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down the issue but usually you can tell right away.
Just for shits and giggles I would do a compression test
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
OdysseyMan1223
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing