Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
i realize this thread is for the older gen, but would this work on a 2012? is it necessary on the newer ones?
my understanding, based on lawsuit settlement is that 2008 through 2013 used the same VCM2 engine, so the same fix should work perfectly in 2012.
Can someone post the engine code used in their 2008+ Ody? I have J37A7 in my 2005 Ody EX-L R&N with VCM1.
The engine code is permanently displayed on the front upper timing belt cover sticker, right in front of the power steering pump. You can see it if you look at
the belt standing next to front passenger tire.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Here is a pic from RockAuto of the ECT connector. Verbatim, if you go to RockAuto.com
Type 05 Honda Odyssey and then search for Temperature Sender / Sensor it will display a bunch of them.
This is one of the images

http://www.rockauto.com/info/31/BA_1580811_Fro.jpg

Also according to RA, older style sensor was used on 05-06 Odyssey's, and newer style from 07-13 Odyssey's.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Maxud,

Thank you for posting the picture. I didn't think of looking for it on RockAuto!

That appears to be the male connector; I think Verbatim needs a picture of the female end.
Female would be the inverse of male connector. The important part are where the guiding pins are.
It seems like we have the older style connector which was used on almost every other Honda as well, so Verbatim can
just talk to his supplier and be able to identify necessary plugs based on above pics.
Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Logic,
yep, first pic is the ECT sensor. If you scroll up in the thread, you can see that it matches the pic I posted of the connector.
One correction, the sensor is right next to thermostat NOT water pump.
The water pump is on the opposite side of the engine, under timing belt cover and engine mount. Its not visible without removing
timing belt covers.

Please update with your progress after you do the task.
Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Thenaaks, does your solution light up the CEL?
Modifying output of ECT sensor should not light up CEL.
Coolant starts out cold and heats up as the car warms up. As previously explained by Verbatim and others,
what this "fix" accomplishes is misreporting temperature of the coolant by predefined factor, ie. inline resistor.
So as a result, the car's computer sees that the coolant temperature is less than it really is.
There are predefined factors for VCM, one of which is coolant temperature reaching certain level.
The resistor makes sure that the car's computer never sees the coolant temperature reaching predefined
range, and never turning VCM on.
It appears that in hotter climates and in traffic jams, the coolant temperature has a potential to climb high enough to defeat the "fix",
but not when driving normally. So it appears this is as good as it gets to defeating VCM for now.
Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Still a bit confused, so the 1st pic is where we need to add the resistor to?
on the first pic, the arrow point to the ECT sensor. There are two wires coming out of it, red and yellow.
you need to cut one of them and insert resistor between the cut leads.
alternatively wait for Verbatim to create a harness for older style ECT.
Verbatim's harness is plug and play, i.e. disconnect the ECT sensor plug, insert his harness between
sensor and old plug.

Verbatim,
can you please confirm, whether you will create a harness for 05-06 odyssey?
thanks
Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Great progress guys, keep them coming. Just wanted to throw this in here.
I know its been discussed before, but ECO light does not necessarily means VCM is on and vise versa is true as well.
Read below post more info:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/24184-eco-light-vcm.html#post251529

So the fact that ECO light comes on, does not necessarily means that VCM kicked in, which in turn means
that the "fix" can be working just fine. So please keep this in mind when testing.
On my 05 van, the vehicle has a small shudder associated with VCM turning on/off. If you get no shudder,
but ECO light comes on, the VCM is likely not activating.

Also, if you are experimenting with resistors, please use active monitoring like Logic and thenaaks.

thanks
Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Maxud,

I'm thinking of making my own harness since I've received no response from Verbatim. I checked that link, but there's nothing there saying it's for the 2005/06 EX-L. How can I be sure it's for my van before I order the connectors?
Duke,
there are two styles of ECT for Honda. Old and new. Through visual evaluation of connector "keys", this looks like the old style.
The auction heading says ECT (engine coolant temperature).
I emailed that person and asked if they can supply both male and female version of the connector and unfortunately got no reply.
There are few of us 05-06 ody members floating around wishing to have plug and play version. I wish there was a good way for us
to split the cost of these 10 connectors and create 10 harnesses for the cost of parts and s/h.
The resistors are 2.90 for 10 on ebay.
But connectors are the crux right now.
Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I'm willing to give it a try and I just ordered the connectors. If they are all female, I can always order the male end off Rockauto and fit it together. I'd rather make the harness and try it that way than splice into one of the two ECT wires.

I couldn't find the seller of the resistors you posted. Also, from what I read on the Piloteers forum, higher ohms may be needed in places with warmer temperatures. Since I'm in Phoenix, I plan on experimenting with 100 ohm resistors. A poster there from Hawaii did that and it has worked for him so far. I may just order both packs and make harnesses out of each.

Has anyone received the 4 page instructions from Verbatim through PM?
Duke,
yes, they are all female. You can't order the male one from RockAuto, the pics I posted are of the actual ECT sensor, so its got the male plug end, but it has the
sensor molded to it, so its not like you can take the sensor off.
I agree on the 100ohm resistor value. Here is link for resistor guy on ebay. They sell all varieties, in different wattages.
100 Ohm 100R 1 Watt 1W 1 Metal Film Resistors 8 Pieces | eBay
I sent an email to another Ali seller of plugs to see if they sell male version of it.

If we only knew the exact manufacturer of the plug, you can find one through Mouser catalog, but there thousands of them.
You dont need install manual. The steps are:
1. unplug ECT harness plug
2. plug new harness into ECT harness plug
3. plug new harness into ECT sensor
4. DONE

Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Do you think the parts guy at the local Honda dealership can get a male plug? Or would it be like at Rock Auto and be molded to the sensor?
Honda does not sell plugs at all. If it happened to be part of the harness, you can buy replacement harness.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I've ordered the female connectors and the resistors. Just need to locate the male end and I'll see about making these. Not trying to compete with Verbatim on this, but I want to get going with shutting off the VCM for good. For now, it's cheaper and less of a hassle than trading down to an EX/LX model.
I heard from second Ali seller, they only have female connectors. Hope your midwest connection comes through.
I spend so much time in this thread, might as well build one of these myself as well.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Hey guys and gals with 2005-06 Ody, after spending significant amount of time, I was finally able to locate the proper plugs for 05-06 Ody ECT sensor. I bought 10 of each, and 100 ohm resistors.
I will make 10 plug and play harnesses, one for myself and will offer 9 to fellow Ody forum members on first come first serve basis. I expect the parts to arrive within next 2 weeks.
PM me for further details.
thanks
Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
What is different for use on a 2008?

Thanks.
there are two different style connectors, 05-06 use older style, the 07+ use newer style.
The connectors are not compatible.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the 2011+ 4th gen? LX and EX do not have VCM? At this point my 2005 EXL is getting old and I would love a newer Oddy but only if I can buy it with out the VCM. So what year is the newest you can still get with a lower trim like LX or EX that won't have vcm?
If you go to 2015 Honda Odyssey - Specifications - Official Honda Site, under engineering you will see that entire lineup of Ody from LX to Touring have VCM and Active engine mount (ACM) listed as standard. Honda appears to be pretty committed to this VCM technology. I don't know if entire 4th gen carries VCM from 2011, but
at least 2015 appears to have it throughout the lineup. More so, entire Honda lineup that uses 6cyl engine, is using VCM, ie. Accord, Pilot, Crosstour. Acura is the same way I believe.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Someone needs to do something. The vcm has never and will never work. I looked into doing a class action lawsuit against Honda on this. My ody touring never worked right from the beginning. The engine would sputter, shudder and almost completely shut off. After 14 dealer visits and the manager and regional managers actually taking my ody home with them to check out my problem, I decided to trade it in on a sienna which I never had problems with. Now I have the mdx which is fine. My ody actually almost killed me and my family one time as we merged onto a highway. As the vcm started going back and forth between cylinders , the van stalled out at 70mph. Talk about fear, with tractor trailers and cars all around you.
Honda needs to cease in selling the vcm engine or at least put a customer over-ride switch on the dash available for customers who actually want to own a safe vehicle.
The managers at all levels basically told me they wouldnt own my ody or buy one for their own family with the vcm engine. Off the record they stated that engine is a poor design and mainly a sales gimmick. Honda knows of the problem as evidenced by their many letters and service bulletins. Someone needs to do a class action lawsuit against Honda. The only reason I didnt follow through is because I didnt have the time. Thats the only way Honda will correct this important safety issue.
I guess you missed that Honda did get a class action lawsuit on their hands due to VCM2 engines.
Client Settlement Site > Home
Also as you can guess, action lawsuits typically enrich the lawyers, and do little to nothing for actual consumers.
Result of the lawsuit is that you can get 4 new plugs and if you are lucky a ring job.
Forget about the fact that they are not fixing the actual cause of the problem, but the resulting effect.
The same problem will be back.
Thankfully you were not hurt and got rid of the car.

Max

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I don't know why you are being so picky. I'm almost done wiring in my VCM switch and I'm sure it will work just fine.

lol, DD, trust me the install will be alot simpler than that. You will have a present in your mailbox today!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts