Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not that it's needed, but...

My highest recommendation for the VCMuzzler. Purchased it and had it shipped a few weeks back, and my very able Assistant opened the package and installed it in my absence. Since our return to the States, I had driven my Insight, my Audi, and My Beloved's Mercedes a few times, but not the Ody. I had frankly forgotten I had ordered it, and for sure didn't know he had already put it on the van ("took longer to get the cover off than to install the damn thing").

So I get in the van today, and wow... On a rising, curving overpass on my commute to my office, where the van always always bucked a bit, smoooooth as glass. At a steady 80, a true steady 80, without the slight, almost imperceptible jerks that I had come to expect. The difference was truly obvious. I immediately called my guy and asked him to confirm the van had it, and he said yes ("I figured you'd want me to").

He did say that the instructions called for a cold engine before installation, or a CEL would occur. So he parked it for two days, and then started it and backed it two-three feet to give him room in the front, never taking it out of the warehouse, then turned it off and installed the VCMuzzler ("I didn't think it would even circulate enough water to raise the temperature at all"). Sure enough, the CEL popped up. He was panicked until he read the CEL would go away after a cycle or two, which it did, long before I drove it.

So thanks again, verbatim, for your research and manufacture of this fine device. Well, well worth the four twenties, I could kick myself for not getting it sooner.

If you're reading this, and you have an applicable Ody, and don't have a VCMuzzler yet... Seriously, get one. Like, right now. Best mod you will have on this fine little vehicle we all share...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not that it's needed, but...

My highest recommendation for the VCMuzzler. Purchased it and had it shipped a few weeks back, and my very able Assistant opened the package and installed it in my absence. Since our return to the States, I had driven my Insight, my Audi, and My Beloved's Mercedes a few times, but not the Ody. I had frankly forgotten I had ordered it, and for sure didn't know he had already put it on the van ("took longer to get the cover off than to install the damn thing").

So I get in the van today, and wow... On a rising, curving overpass on my commute to my office, where the van always always bucked a bit, smoooooth as glass. At a steady 80, a true steady 80, without the slight, almost imperceptible jerks that I had come to expect. The difference was truly obvious. I immediately called my guy and asked him to confirm the van had it, and he said yes ("I figured you'd want me to").

He did say that the instructions called for a cold engine before installation, or a CEL would occur. So he parked it for two days, and then started it and backed it two-three feet to give him room in the front, never taking it out of the warehouse, then turned it off and installed the VCMuzzler ("I didn't think it would even circulate enough water to raise the temperature at all"). Sure enough, the CEL popped up. He was panicked until he read the CEL would go away after a cycle or two, which it did, long before I drove it.

So thanks again, verbatim, for your research and manufacture of this fine device. Well, well worth the four twenties, I could kick myself for not getting it sooner.

If you're reading this, and you have an applicable Ody, and don't have a VCMuzzler yet... Seriously, get one. Like, right now. Best mod you will have on this fine little vehicle we all share...
And, another update.

With a garage full of all-bought-brand-new cars to choose from, from an original Insight that I brought home in 2001, to My Beloved's '09 SL550, to my '09 A8, to our '14 Beetle Convertible... The Ody is not necessarily our first go-to vehicle. Often it sits for weeks at a time, waiting to serve us when we have a bunch of people, or a bunch of stuff to move. This morning, I needed to bring home some stuff from the office, so I fired up the Ody.

It truly feels like a different vehicle. Why I drove 30,000 miles without the VCMuzzler, I'll never know, i could kick myself for not putting it on when I first heard about it. What a fine-driving vehicle, it's on a par with our late R350 as far as smoothness and usable power. Where before it would almost-imperceptibly jerk and hesitate, now it's just a smoooooth flow of power.

If I can get just one of you guys on the fence about this wonderful mod, I've done my job. Oh, I didn't install it myself, as a disclaimer... But out of an abundance of curiosity, I took the required steps a few days ago just to see how it was done: It took me maybe, maybe, two minutes tops to take the engine cover off, find the plug, pull it off, look at it as though I was installing the Muzzler for the first time, reattach it, and replace the cover. Two minutes. With a flat-blade screwdriver and I could have had a sports coat on.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If after 50-some pages of glowing reviews you still have qualms, you're waaay more cautious than you need to be. I love my Ody, and even more now that the VCMuzzler's in place (my first Honda: A new '79 Civic, thirty-plus others since). Reversible, well-engineered, affordable, it just works. Just get the damn thing, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Personally, I think the mileage is moot. The damage that VCM can do, and has done in many cases, far outweighs any possible negative mileage affect that the Muzzler might have. Even the affect that it does have is so minimal that it's barely worth tracking.
This. For what it's worth, we just drove to Memphis and back (we were almost out of Yuengling again ;) ), our first longish trip since putting in the Muzzler, and the three tanks of gas were 25.5, 23.9, and 26.1 average, right in line with our previous highway tanks. If the Muzzler hurt the mileage, I didn't notice it...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Many things are done now to improve a corporate fuel economy on the EPA cycle that have no real world benefit on fuel mileage.

Think of VCM on the Odyssey.... it probably added hundreds of dollars to the cost of the engine. It required special (expensive) motor mount. It required change to to stereo to generate noise to mask the sound of the engine. At a minimum it broke engine mounts, and could harm the engine.

So the consumer pays both ways in terms of initial cost, and in terms of additional maintenance to repair. And all that for an improvement in fuel economy that can't begin to pay back the expense.

Today, think about cars that shut themselves off when you come to a stop and restart when you touch the gas. It has no practical effect on fuel economy, but it does require a beefier starter, and it will certainly mean replacing starters more frequently for those of us who like to own cars until they can't be fixed.

The whole thing is a farce.
Totally agreed on VCM and start / stop. Simple is better. Think start/stop in terms of the computer mechanical hard disk drive that is recommended to leave running instead of shutting down and restarting to prolong life of the hard drive. Every time the engine is started, more stress is placed on the engine than at a steady state mode. Start/stop technology coming to the New top of the line Odys. Remember VCM and PAX?
By the way, just passed annual NY inspection with Muzzler attached.
Keep in mind that in this current hyper-competitive environment, engineers and designers will try to outdo one another due to pride, ego, corporate bragging rights, proof of concept issues, and other stupid reasons. The old "if an [Audi, BMW, MB] engineer is stuck in a well, and you drop a ladder down, he will use the ladder to build a tunnel out of the well" observation applies here. It's not necessarily due to consumer demand (do consumers really clamor for lane departure on Civics? Please...), but some ideas need to be proved in real-world environments (self-driving cars are coming sooner than you think), and what's better than some consumer guinea pigs to try out new concepts? A few hundred warranty claims are cheap R&D for most auto manufacturers... And as angry as Honda drivers may get when they are one of the ones with a problem... EVERY manufacturer does it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here is my latest report: Drove from Dallas area to Indianapolis, turned left, traveled to Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, the Bonneville Salt Flats (had the van up to about 60 mph, but the sands were still slushy and building up inside the wheel wells... Took eight dollars worth of self-service car wash to get the salt off the bottom of the van), Napa Valley, San Francisco, down the coast to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Hoover Dam, Meteor Crater, Winslow Arizona, and back to the house. Four weeks, 7077 miles. The ECO light came on in heavy traffic in 98 degree weather (showing 186 degrees on the ScanGage II), so the next morning, I switched over to the red gadget and the ECO light never came on again. Mileage for the entire trip, 23.88 mpg, with the van holding from two to four passengers (counting My Beloved and I), our normal luggage and crap we bought along the way, and a portable photo booth (<80 pounds including equipment) I use with my photography business, and including high speed cruising and bumper-to-bumper city traffic, so I can only say my mileage has not been affected by the VCMuzzler II. Are you reading this? Do you have an Odyssey? Do you not have a VCMuzzler II? What's up with that? Order one now... I am beyond pleased...

·
Registered
414 Posts
If the battery is 4 or more years old, I'd replace it regardless of its viability (I always put a reminder on my calendar four years from the date I buy a vehicle, and if I still have the vehicle at that time, I replace the battery on that date, regardless of whether it's given signs of deterioration or not). But you might also make a visual check of the ground strap(s), which are known to release all sorts of electrical gremlins that are hard to track down. Good luck...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why do so many people jump right to the red resistor when Verbatim specifically states to start with the blue resistor? I've never seen a P0128 code on my Ody since day one of installing the Muzzler according to Verbatims's instructions.
Ah. North Carolina. No wonder you don't need it: Come on over to Texas sometime in the blazing summertime, and why the red resistor is included may begin to make sense to you... Or blast across a western desert at 95 mph... Or tow something...

Yes, start with the blue, of course. But the red definitely has a purpose, even if you may not see it in your temperate climate...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here is a question. I am about to order mine. When you see or walk by another ODY do you ask the driver if they know about VCM issues and the muzzler? I think once we install and like ours we would, consider it improves drivability and perhaps helps prevent the aforementioned problems.
Here is another question. There are almost ninety pages of mostly glowing reviews right here for you to read. What, pray tell, do you think you will accomplish by asking random drivers about their VCMuzzler experience? Do you really think you're going to get different wisdom from what you read here?

Just get the thing and install it, and carry on. Hundreds of evidence-based experiences here say you should, so just do it... [insert facepalm thingy here]

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why would you buy something that doesn't apply to your vehicle... But that works as advertised to those who have the applicable vehicle... But more importantly, why are your panties in such a bunch about this?

Ban silverghost, what a patoot... Send him to Facebook, there's plenty of Russian trolls there. This forum is for less combative folks...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts