Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I received the muzzler and just installed it. As soon as I turned on the vehicle, I got many errors: (2016 Honda Odyssey Touring)

• Check Emissions
  • Check FCW (forward collision warning)
  • Check LDW (lane departure warning)
  • Check VSA
Per the manual, I have lowered the resistor to the yellow one for now.

I have a service scheduled on Monday at Honda and I need these codes cleared before I take it in!! What should I do?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you install it not long after running the vehicle?

Lots of cars these days will set codes in multiple modules just because there is one code in the engine computer. Get yourself a cheap code reader and clear the engine code and hopefully that will cause the codes in the other modules to go away. You can get them on Amazon, the parts stores (more expensive) or see if your local Autozone or Advance Auto will clear them for you. You can disconnect the battery for a few minutes but sometimes that can be more trouble than it's worth with everything that needs to be reset after that.
Installed when cold then started the vehicle. Should not have to spend even more after paying for the VCM muzzler to clear the codes. Doubt anyone here would it free.

If I remove the muzzler, will the codes go away?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you turn on the key (even if you didnt' start the engine) before installing the Muzzler? What does picking up a cheap code reader (less than $30 on Amazon) have to do with buying the Muzzler?

Did you make sure everything is plugged in completely? If so, simply removing will not clear the codes. The codes may clear after a few drives and key cycles, though.
Yes, I started the vehicle then remembered that I needed to install the VCM. Turned it off. Was on for maybe 10 seconds. Then installed it.

Please can you suggest an reader?

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's the problem. The computer was still awake and monitoring the coolant temp sensor. When you unplugged it, even with key off, it saw the open circuit and set the code. Newer vehicles keep the computers alive for up to two hours after engine is shut off.
Crap. So I need to get the codes cleared or will get they go away? Should I put back the blue resistor?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Issue resolved.

I swapped back to the blue (default) resistor.

Started the vehicle and it still had all the codes. Drove it for 5 mins to a plaza nearby. Turned off. Went into Purolator to pick up a package and when I started up the vehicle again, the codes are gone.

The ECO light did not come on while driving back. So far so good!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you all for your help!!

Question - when taking in for service, should I be removing the muzzler? If so, always when stone cold?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts