Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Verbatim, I just got my 2010 EX-L, with 40K miles, two months ago. My main concern with the Muzzler is how it effects gas mileage. As I understand your process, you are fooling the computer regarding engine temp, but then does the computer run a 'rich' mixture all the time.

Have you checked the air fuel ratio with an OBDII real time data reader?

All that being said, I once had a 1986 Pontiac, which had GM's first attempt at torque converter lockup automatic transmission. With lockup, it was a really, really lousy, and clunky, transmission. Once the lockup relay failed and I had to disconnect torque lockup, it transformed itself into a great transmission, well almost anyway. Being this was almost 25 years ago, the only thing I had to do was disconnect an electrical connector.

I guess the world has almost made a full circle!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Not the 'codes', but the real time data stream.

My ELM 327 bluetooth OBDII adapter, using the Torque Android app does A/F ratio in real time, but I will check it again for the Honda. It does it for my BMW's and my Chrysler.

BTW, I'm not starting a fight here, just asking a question, as I may buy one. What I'd like is a unit that I can switch in and out.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Just for everyone's edification/knowledge/information, I was able to get to my wife's Odyssey this morning, and with the Torque App Pro ($5 cost), you can read and record lots (technical term here) of real time data, including A/F ratio.

As I've said on this forum, and other forums, the Torque App Pro, with the ELM 327 Bluetooth adapter is a very powerful tool, for very little money, less than $20 total.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
rickb01,

One to two quarts every oil change, which I assume is 6K to 8K miles, is not a lot of oil, and nothing to worry about. What you need to do is keep the oil topped up, and go have a beer.

Now if Honda will fix it for you, good, otherwise, let it burn!

Note, the Muzzler, which I just installed myself on a 2010 with 40K miles, will prevent further engine wear, but it won't repair a damaged engine.

Even the Muzzler himself will tell you that.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My Muzzler has been installed for a few weeks now, and the best thing is that the engine now feels as smooth as my 2003 Chrysler Town and Country.

My wife, who loves the van BTW, wouldn't know the difference, but I no longer feel the 'in-out' of the VCM, which is a good thing.

Mine never had a real problem, but I installed the Muzzler to prevent future problems.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
iBrian, the O2 sensor heater circuit is only used for a couple of minutes when the engine is cold, and it's purpose is to get the O2 sensor up to operating temp ASAP.

Remove the Muzzler, a one minute job, clear the codes, and see if they come back. But, as was said, the Muzzler doesn't change the temp very much, and I don't think it's causing codes.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
First, someone who's ECO light is coming on when the weather is hot, may have a borderline cooling system that can't maintain temperature.

Second, and I'll say it again, if your cooling system is OK, and your VCM is running, say 1% of the time (gotta be a lot less than before the muzzler), your fine. Your just fine. Go have a beer and chill.

Remember, the Muzzler is a workaround, and it's not perfect. Honda's VCM system certainly isn't perfect, which is why the Muzzler was invented.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yesterday, it was about 90 F, and I took my wife out for a drive. After a couple of miles, I was about to say to her that the car felt funny, and I was going to go home and get the other car.

At that point I realized that the ECO light was on (note, my steering wheel blocks the ECO light), and the 'funny' I was feeling was just the VCM.

Funny how easy it is to get used to the smooth operation of a Muzzled vehicle!

Happily the car ran pretty much normally after the initial VCM scare.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
DWH, if you have a 2016 that is burning oil, you either have a bad engine, or it was underfilled at the factory.

If it was me, I'd remove the Muzzler, and do a controlled oil burn test. If it actually is burning oi, I'd contact the selling dealing, or any dealer, and see what they want to do, which will probably be another controlled test.

Do it now while it's new, and the dealer and Honda will not be able to dance away from your problem.

All that being said, I have a Muzzler on my 2010, and I'm happy with it. But the Muzzler will not cure a mechanical problem if your engine has one.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
DWH, I'd remove the Muzzler, and do your controlled test. Remember, if you bring it back to the dealer, you'll have to remove the Muzzler anyway. Remember, the Muzzler will not fix a mechanical problem, but it can prevent problems.

What is the mileage on your vehicle?

You have a brand new vehicle, and it shouldn't be burning oil, no matter what Honda says.

If after your testing, it still is burning oil, don't take no for an answer from the dealer, ask for the Honda Zone rep

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You know what, if you have a 'mechanical' problem causing you to burn oil, you will continue to burn oil, with or without the Muzzler.

Stupid me, I was just being a good little engineer, and I was trying to limit the variables by removing the Muzzler - bringing it back to factory spec. Leave it in, or take it out, your call.

I'd top off the oil, and do a controlled burn test, or not. Your call, your car, which you just paid many thousands for.

I have a Muzzler on my 2010, and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Getting back on the 'high-horse', government fuel consumption regulations are a good thing, as at least someone is trying to protect the planet for our children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. Of note, I also understand that countries like China and India will eventually have to come around, as we all actually have to live on this planet!

Honda's implementation of VCM is not a good thing, and they certainly could have saved mpg's by using light weight materials, or mild hybrid technology. They chose VCM, and we are part of their learning curve.

Of note, the Toyota RAV-4 hybrid is only about $1500 more than the standard vehicle, when options are accounted for. Way to go Toyota!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nobody should force anybody to do anything, which is the American way!

As I said, we are part of Honda's learning curve, which could have been better dealt with lightweight materials, and mild hybrid technology (small batteries, small electric motors, but big power when needed).

The world is a crowded place, and we can't all do what we want.

Anyway if it wasn't for fuel economy standards, we'd still be using big carburetors and dumping loads of raw gas down the intake. Yes, lets all go back to the LA smog of the 60's, or for that matter, the Beijing of today.

Going green is the price we pay for our civilization.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts