Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I find it interesting that so many claim that disabling VCM caused no decrease in fuel economy, based purely on faith and anecdotal observation. So we are to believe Honda included this system which had no benefit whatsoever other than reliability risk, for what? A practical joke? And the EPAs higher mileage figures were... lies?

·
Registered
517 Posts
... based purely on faith and anecdotal observation....
I think you just offended most people in this thread. Do you use only Honda approved methodology to track your fuel economy?
Did they supply you with a smart phone app? Or Honda made gasoline?

So we are to believe Honda included this system which had no benefit whatsoever other than reliability risk, for what? A practical joke? And the EPAs higher mileage figures were... lies?
You got one thing right EPA, thats about sums it up.
Please read posts about VCM, the lawsuit, the repairs, try to process the "Honda official explanation" of the issue.
Then come back here and "enlighten" us with your knowledge.
My point was that I didnt see a single post in this thread or any other where someone tracked their mileage in a meaningful manner before and after disabling VCM, yet many claim they dont notice any change. Many, including user Verbatim, acknowledge a 1-2 mpg loss. I understand the issue of possible detrimental effects, what is it you need to be enlightened about?
If there is a point to the discussion its wondering what the equation would be comparing the cost of additional fuel consumed over say, 100k miles, disabling VCM, (which appears to be a poorly thought through system) with the cost of probable repair costs incurred by leaving it alone. This is difficult to do if one includes testimonials with little scientific validity. Which, as you seem to admit, probably describes most of the posts in this thread.
As for tracking my own fuel economy, why the hell would I do that. I keep my foot in it till it runs low then fill er up. However I wouldnt purport to know if I used more or less than I did last month before I did a modification.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I find it interesting that so many claim that disabling VCM caused no decrease in fuel economy, based purely on faith and anecdotal observation.
This makes me laugh. Anecdotal observation is the only way to generate fuel consumption numbers - you watch how far you drive and you watch how much fuel you pump into your tank. Divide one value by the other and presto; a miles per gallon value that actually means something to you in real life.

If you believe you are getting the fuel economy that Honda says you should be without ever verifying it with your own calculations, you are taking far more on faith than any of us who have installed a VCM suppression device. And you're on much shakier ground doing it.
Logical fail, do I have to explain why? I am not claiming I get the mileage Honda says I should get, thats an entirely different equation that no one could prove nor is even important. I am merely saying you could not reliably claim mileage is unchanged before and after a modification without accurate telemetry and measurement both before and after. Can you direct me to anyones' "real life" documentation here that I missed?

The rest of your post was interesting, informative and probably quite accurate. Thank you for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts