Honda Odyssey Forum banner
281 - 300 of 1655 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I am saying "Stock Configuration" as in the vehicle can be easily put back into the stock mode where the VCM will work as factory by removing the resistor from the circuit and putting the factory wiring directly back into the wires for ECT1 by way of high quality bullet connectors (male + female). Sure this is still a modification to the factory wiring (technically) but it will work the same as factory by taking 30 seconds to remove the resistor portion of your modified harness. A set of good connectors don't add enough resistance to the ECT1 circuit to cause the VCM to behave in a way different from factory settings once the resistor is removed.
I spent $40 on maxud's mod for 2 main reasons. The 2nd is actually more important (to me) than the 1st.

1 - Absolutely no work on my part. I DIY all sorts of stuff - home, auto, hobbies, etc. - but sometimes it just makes sense to press the PayPal button. It's just not worth my time and effort to pass on a $40 plug-and-play adaptor.

2 - If I want to go back to stock configuration, it's that same 30 second swap but 0 seconds explaining anything to the mechanic. In other words, if the van needs service, there is no need to explain the bullet connectors or spliced wires or add any possible doubt in the mind of the mechanic. (S)he never even knows that it ever existed.

I'm not saying I have any problems with your method, just that pulling the resistor doesn't really return the van to stock configuration. It leaves those connectors which may (or may not) raise questions if the van ever needs service.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Update:

Hottest day of the year with ambient air temp rising to 93 today. Had no VCM engagement during drive home from work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought it from verbatim. I think it was 82, but not sure. Seems to be working fine. About 2500 miles, no issues or CEL's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Update:

Hottest day of the year with ambient air temp rising to 93 today. Had no VCM engagement during drive home from work.
100 ohm has worked well up to 107 with very little VCM engagement. However, it's been cooler (80ish) and much more humid than usual (they're blaming El Niño) here in Phoenix, so we'll see how it fairs this weekend with sub 100 temps and higher humidity. I'm seriously considering adding Purple Ice to the radiator to see if it makes a difference.

Purple Ice® - Radiator Coolant Additive | Royal Purple

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spent $40 on maxud's mod for 2 main reasons. The 2nd is actually more important (to me) than the 1st.

1 - Absolutely no work on my part. I DIY all sorts of stuff - home, auto, hobbies, etc. - but sometimes it just makes sense to press the PayPal button. It's just not worth my time and effort to pass on a $40 plug-and-play adaptor.

2 - If I want to go back to stock configuration, it's that same 30 second swap but 0 seconds explaining anything to the mechanic. In other words, if the van needs service, there is no need to explain the bullet connectors or spliced wires or add any possible doubt in the mind of the mechanic. (S)he never even knows that it ever existed.

I'm not saying I have any problems with your method, just that pulling the resistor doesn't really return the van to stock configuration. It leaves those connectors which may (or may not) raise questions if the van ever needs service.
I get that, 100%. The plug and play option with OEM connections that allows you to put it back to stock in 2 minutes is definitely nice and I would bite the bullet and buy the part if I would have the van at a mechanic in the future.

·
Registered
2005 EXL donated 243K ,2019sienna XLE AWD
1,125 Posts
I use a bluetooth obdii reader elm327 and Torque app the temp has been at idle 178F and moving 167F mod @100ohms

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I use a bluetooth obdii reader elm327 and Torque app the temp has been at idle 178F and moving 167F mod @100ohms
I'm interested in installing this set-up to monitor my temps, so I have a couple of questions:

Is this the unit you are using?

ELM327 OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Auto Car Diagnostic Interface Scanner WW | eBay

Google PlayStore offers a number of different versions of the Torque app:

Torque Pro (Ian Hawkins) $4.95
Torque Lite (Ian Hawkins) Free
TorqueScan (Ian Hawkins) Free
TorqueFree ODB 2 (Quadhelix) Free
etc.

Which one are you using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Thanks Pappy,

One more question: I installed an Aux jack and Bluetooth adaptor (which plugs into the Aux jack) in my 06 EX-L. Do you have any idea if my Android phone (Galaxy S5) will connect with the ELM 327 and my Bluetooth adaptor at the same time? I've not tried to connect to multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
No. Only one bluetooth connection at a time for all phones.
Well, thanks for that answer but my recent search results has me thinking otherwise. I've been searching since my last post and I'm finding lots of threads like this one, that all seem to indicate that multiple Bluetooth devices is not a problem:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/g...ydrive-176/multi-bluetooth-connections-902487

I know that my Bluetooth headphones can connect to my iPad and S5 at the same time, but I've never tried my S5 with multiple devices. I guess I can try my BT headphones and BT car adaptor and see what happens.

Either way, I'll probably go with the ELM 327 mainly because I've always wanted an OBD reader, even if I have to use it by itself.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Well,I learned something new today thanks.
As did I! Thanks for the info on the ELM 327. I just ordered one from eBay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use and S4 and the elm adaptor. My S4 connects to a DC800 I have connected to the radio and the elm at the same time. I can also use a Bluetooth headset for calls at the same time as well. Depends on how you set up the profiles.

·
Registered
162 Posts
No. Only one bluetooth connection at a time for all phones.
i can see the adapter only connecting to one device at a time, but i know i have connected my old phone (note 2) to the adapter and my nexus 7 at the same time. even shared the internet over BT to the nexus. i don't do that any more, but i know i have in the past.

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hey all, I just received my Muzzler today from verbatim. It literally took me less than a minute to install it - on my 2011 I didn't even need to remove the engine cover - you can see the connector and there is plenty of room to remove it by hand.

I love that it looks OEM!

Took the van for a short ride around the block. Here are my observations:

1. Temp is just a 'hair' below the middle, and not something that I would ever be concerned about.
2. I had thought that when I was coasting to slow down and make a turn, that when I got on the gas, there was a slight hesitation when I would accelerate out of a corner but I always thought it was the tranny was not downshifting fast enough. Turns out it was likely the VCM because now when I get on the gas, the throttle response is instant!
3. I tried several speed up / slow down situations and in every case the van responded with nice, smooth, instant power. No more hesitation! I was amazed that this little mod could transform the van like this so quickly

So far, I'm just tickled pink about the mod. I can't wait to try it on a long road trip and see how the mileage compares to my last trip with the VCM on.

Thanks verbatim - you are the man!

·
Registered
2005 EXL donated 243K ,2019sienna XLE AWD
1,125 Posts
Welcome to the VCMod club. I am trying to convince my nieces and nephew to get the mod ASAP.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, it does from what I can see.
@verbatim, I assume that was "Yes" to the first question and "No" to all the others, right? Got a big confused there..

Is there a harness for the VCM 1 Systems (2005-2009) available and I just missed that on the traffic on this thread? I thought I was subscribed but apparently not...

Thanks,

Patrick

281 - 300 of 1655 Posts