Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1464 Posts

·
Registered
8,724 Posts
Yeah, the compression rings are either worn or just seized. If seized, the Seafoam could free them by cleaning out the grooves. A future compression test would confirm if this is the problem. Here's hoping...:)

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alright - so great info and update. As in my previous post, I had lower compression on 2 of 3 rear bank. I seafoamed all night. Then I had a 900 miles trip to Branson, now with the VCMmuzzler.

So I had zero oil loss. Only got about 21.5 mpg all highway, but thats really not but a couple mpg off from usual. But great news, as no oil loss. A month ago, before the vcmuzzler and before seafoam soak of cylinder, I would have burnt through about 2 qt's - at least. Still need a new compression test to prove. Only other change I can think is I went from 5w-20 to 10w-30.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Alright - so great info and update. As in my previous post, I had lower compression on 2 of 3 rear bank. I seafoamed all night. Then I had a 900 miles trip to Branson, now with the VCMmuzzler.

So I had zero oil loss. Only got about 21.5 mpg all highway, but thats really not but a couple mpg off from usual. But great news, as no oil loss. A month ago, before the vcmuzzler and before seafoam soak of cylinder, I would have burnt through about 2 qt's - at least. Still need a new compression test to prove. Only other change I can think is I went from 5w-20 to 10w-30.
That's good news, indeed. I would recommend going back to the 5W-20, though. You really don't want to be running the thicker oil. That will hit your mpg's and can be hard on the oil system. The clearances are very tight on these engines and the thicker oil isn't good for them.

·
Registered
8,724 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seafoamed all night = Removed coil packs and spark plugs on cylinders 2 and 3 -poured in probably 2 tablespoons of seafoam (into the cylinder). Let is sit overnight - 18 hours to be correct. Next morning, popped the plugs and coil packs back in- Fired it up. Watched it smoke for about 5 minutes.

On the oil --- I dont believe its that much different. We may have to agree to disagree. 5w-20 is like water. Its always been my thought that they switched so that they could get another .25 mpg on the dyno for EPA testing. Google [FONT=arial, helvetica]CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy). [/FONT]Furthermore - look at what Ford recommends for engines in vehicles in Europe - where there no CAFE requirements -- its 5W-30.
For wear protection - going from 20w to 30w - not a lot of difference - Maybe even better. [FONT=arial, helvetica]And - at 180,000 miles, I'm sure my tolerances are a tad bigger at this point. Just an example. Just my two cents, so - to each his own. I also dont believe in changing oil every 3,000 miles though either, so . I have a chevy colorado ( 150K miles) that calls for 5w-20 and it always got sucked up in the pcv. Switched to 10w-30, problem solved.
[/FONT]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, need a little help

I installed the VCMuzzler this morning on my 2016 Accord with the Blue resistor and the eco light was pretty much on the entire drive to work. It was 60F this morning.

when I arrived at work. I let it sit for a couple hours and switched out to the red one.
drove it around the block for a few minutes and the same thing. The eco green light never went away on normal driving conditions.

any idea why both resistor isn't working?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hey guys, need a little help

I installed the VCMuzzler this morning on my 2016 Accord with the Blue resistor and the eco light was pretty much on the entire drive to work. It was 60F this morning.

when I arrived at work. I let it sit for a couple hours and switched out to the red one.
drove it around the block for a few minutes and the same thing. The eco green light never went away on normal driving conditions.

any idea why both resistor isn't working?
do you have a 6 cylinder car? Some Honda's have ECO button, just make sure you are not confusing the two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know the Accord doesn't have the Eco light but a fuel efficiency light instead.

How will I know if I successfully disabled the VCM aside from the feel?

Is the fuel efficiency backlight not supposed to come on at all?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I know the Accord doesn't have the Eco light but a fuel efficiency light instead.

How will I know if I successfully disabled the VCM aside from the feel?

Is the fuel efficiency backlight not supposed to come on at all?
No offence, but you realize this is an Odyssey forum and the one for completely different generation than your Accord.
Here is a link to your owners manual
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/AT2A1616OM/enu/AT2A1616OM.pdf
I think page 441 describes your ECON mode.
Aside from that, either PM the seller or check with Accord forum guys?
Maybe new Ody uses this system as well.

Based on your experience, I would say that Honda decoupled the VCM and ECO even more in later models.
The only way to truly tell is to check whether VCM solenoid is energized, somebody done it here before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No offence, but you realize this is an Odyssey forum and the one for completely different generation than your Accord.
Here is a link to your owners manual
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/AT2A1616OM/enu/AT2A1616OM.pdf
I think page 441 describes your ECON mode.
Aside from that, either PM the seller or check with Accord forum guys?
Maybe new Ody uses this system as well.

Based on your experience, I would say that Honda decoupled the VCM and ECO even more in later models.
The only way to truly tell is to check whether VCM solenoid is energized, somebody done it here before.
I just found the FAQ page and found out that for my car with the ECON button, the only way to truly check is with the OBD II scan tool.

Thanks though

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
I think the later model Ody's are like this too. The Eco light isn't just for VCM on the later model vehicles. You probably have disabled VCM but the ECO light is tied to other things, too.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think the later model Ody's are like this too. The Eco light isn't just for VCM on the later model vehicles. You probably have disabled VCM but the ECO light is tied to other things, too.
I did not realize it, but Verbatim updated the FAQ (which is excellent by the way) with updated info on just this issue:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/268778-vcmuzzler-ii-disabling-vcm-faq-s.html#post1647049

TLDR:
The eco light is not available on the new Honda's.
The new light is something else entirely.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have my muzzler on order. Anxiously awaiting its arrival :). I was on the fence about putting it on since the van I just purchased had 153k on it and never has had one, but after driving it a few weeks in town and on the highway, I wanted that gone. I find it really more annoying in town I think. I owned a 2007 Pilot for several years, but it was 4x4 and didn't have VCM, so even though I saw these threads over in that forum, I didn't pay much attention to them.

Going to change the oil and take a look at the plugs after I get my muzzler and maybe put a new set of plugs in it too. They were replaced at 100k, but I don't think a new set will hurt it. I am getting some random misfire codes, and maybe this will help, fingers crossed. The van never seems to run rough when I get it, and it goes out in about a day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've gotten a VCMuzzler II, and from reading the FAQ's I'm thinking I'm going to be one of the ones that needs the Orange reisitor. How do I go about getting one? With the blue (80) in, I'm great until temps get up into the mid 60's outsite, then the VCM starts kicking in all the time. So I swapped out to the red (120) and now I get the CEL because mornings still get down into the 40's. Hoping the 100 will be the sweet spot for me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've gotten a VCMuzzler II, and from reading the FAQ's I'm thinking I'm going to be one of the ones that needs the Orange reisitor. How do I go about getting one? With the blue (80) in, I'm great until temps get up into the mid 60's outsite, then the VCM starts kicking in all the time. So I swapped out to the red (120) and now I get the CEL because mornings still get down into the 40's. Hoping the 100 will be the sweet spot for me.
You contact Verbatim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just installed my VCM Muzzle II for my Honda Odyssey 2016 touring. I took 5 minutes. This is the first time I installed something to my car engine bay :D. The VCM Muzzle II makes me think that I am driving my other cars (civic and crv) not the van. I test drive my van in highway and no more hesitating or ECO light.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just installed my VCM Muzzle II for my Honda Odyssey 2016 touring. I took 5 minutes. This is the first time I installed something to my car engine bay :D. The VCM Muzzle II makes me think that I am driving my other cars (civic and crv) not the van. I test drive my van in highway and no more hesitating or ECO light.
Glad you're enjoying it, the muzzler is the heat.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

1261 - 1280 of 1464 Posts