Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1408 Posts

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Did you turn on the key (even if you didnt' start the engine) before installing the Muzzler? What does picking up a cheap code reader (less than $30 on Amazon) have to do with buying the Muzzler?

Did you make sure everything is plugged in completely? If so, simply removing will not clear the codes. The codes may clear after a few drives and key cycles, though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you turn on the key (even if you didnt' start the engine) before installing the Muzzler? What does picking up a cheap code reader (less than $30 on Amazon) have to do with buying the Muzzler?

Did you make sure everything is plugged in completely? If so, simply removing will not clear the codes. The codes may clear after a few drives and key cycles, though.
Yes, I started the vehicle then remembered that I needed to install the VCM. Turned it off. Was on for maybe 10 seconds. Then installed it.

Please can you suggest an reader?

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Yes, I started the vehicle then remembered that I needed to install the VCM. Turned it off. Was on for maybe 10 seconds. Then installed it.
There's the problem. The computer was still awake and monitoring the coolant temp sensor. When you unplugged it, even with key off, it saw the open circuit and set the code. Newer vehicles keep the computers alive for up to two hours after engine is shut off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There's the problem. The computer was still awake and monitoring the coolant temp sensor. When you unplugged it, even with key off, it saw the open circuit and set the code. Newer vehicles keep the computers alive for up to two hours after engine is shut off.
Crap. So I need to get the codes cleared or will get they go away? Should I put back the blue resistor?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Crap. So I need to get the codes cleared or will get they go away? Should I put back the blue resistor?
When everything is connected back together to original settings, the code might just go away. I had code come up one time, when I removed the muzz prior to taking it into the dealership, code went away after a day or so. Code will still be in the memory, but it will turn off (it did in my case)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Unhook the neg. battery cable for a couple minutes and replace it, see if that clear the codes or not.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Removing the resistor and swapping for another is exactly the same thing as unplugging the Muzzler and plugging it back in. In this case, the muzzler itself is not what's setting the code. The open circuit when unplugging it is what's setting the code. The computer briefly sees high resistance due to open circuit, and thinks the sensor is reporting -40F which sets the code. The code you'll have is for a ECT circuit high.

You can leave it in there and if there are no open circuits the codes will likely go away in a day or two but I can't guarantee if they'll go away before Monday.

Disconnecting the battery will clear the codes but also can cause other issues (radio code needed, radio presets lost, and on some cars can affect idle speed learn.) I don't think it will affect idle speed on this car but I always avoid disconnecting the battery, if I can, especially the newer the car is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Issue resolved.

I swapped back to the blue (default) resistor.

Started the vehicle and it still had all the codes. Drove it for 5 mins to a plaza nearby. Turned off. Went into Purolator to pick up a package and when I started up the vehicle again, the codes are gone.

The ECO light did not come on while driving back. So far so good!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you all for your help!!

Question - when taking in for service, should I be removing the muzzler? If so, always when stone cold?

·
Registered
250 Posts

Question - when taking in for service, should I be removing the muzzler? If so, always when stone cold?
I take it out before taking it in for service (not oil change). Shouldn't matter when you take it out, hot or cold, but I try to do it when it is cold.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,354

Sorry, I was on vacation for a week, so didn't see this all until now. Glad you got it cleared up.

Many people leave it in for service, however, there have been a couple of cases where over-zealous service techs have noticed it and removed it because they didn't know what it was. Luckily the customer was able to retrieve it back in all cases after they noticed their eco light coming back on again after the service. Most service techs don't even notice it, but I recommend removing it just to be safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey all, I just purchased a 2011 Ody with 141000 miles on it. The previous owner did all scheduled maintenance to the engine as needed. My question is, would I still see benefit in installing a VCMuzzler? I am thinking yes, but wanted some opinions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe it will be worthwhile. I just recently installed VCMuzzler on my 2009 with 180k miles for the first time. It was using oil and fouling plugs earlier than the service interval for changing plugs. The VCMuzzler seems to have reduced oil consumption, even on a van as used as mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a 2005 Touring for 165,000 miles before I sold it 3 years ago. Oil usage was still low enough (about 2/3 qt per 3,500 miles at the end), and I never noticed drivability problems. I loved the way it handled, considering its size. But it had become a rattle trap (especially sliding doors), was very noisy, the extremely costly engine mounts were going bad for the second time, and electronics like the RES and NAV were all going bad. I was still generally happy with it considering the mileage when I sold it. If I had known about this issue early on I might have installed this device. Fortunately my oil usage and engine wear never showed symptoms. I used Amsoil 0W-20 Signature synthetic oil with a filter every 3,500 miles or so. It may have been getting close to having these problems. Fortunately I sold it before they showed up. I was lucky.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Add it. I put one on my 07 at around 180k and it has dropped oil usage dramatically.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Hey all, I just purchased a 2011 Ody with 141000 miles on it. The previous owner did all scheduled maintenance to the engine as needed. My question is, would I still see benefit in installing a VCMuzzler? I am thinking yes, but wanted some opinions.
Without a doubt. Do it before there are problems. If it's running great, no oil consumption, then it's the perfect candidate and will save you headaches and money down the road.

1341 - 1360 of 1408 Posts