Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1407 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
hey all, i just purchased a 2011 ody with 141000 miles on it. The previous owner did all scheduled maintenance to the engine as needed. My question is, would i still see benefit in installing a vcmuzzler?
yes!!!

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
The catch 22 here is that if you install it, and never have a problem, you'll never know if you needed it or not. If you don't install it and have a problem later you'll really wish you installed it now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, we have about 165K miles on our 2007 now and I'm going to be doing the modification very soon (I will do it myself, with a multiple position rotary switch in the dash that selects one of two different resistor values, as well as an 'off' position so I can see the true temperature reading on the gauge).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Many people leave it in for service, however, there have been a couple of cases where over-zealous service techs have noticed it and removed it because they didn't know what it was. Luckily the customer was able to retrieve it back in all cases after they noticed their eco light coming back on again after the service. Most service techs don't even notice it, but I recommend removing it just to be safe.
I used to take it off. Then I forgot, twice. The dealer said nothing, and they did a "complete" vehicle inspection, both times, so they said. I know that mean two different thing for owner and dealer on what "inspection" really mean. But still, the dealer never said anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another satisfied customer. Super simple install, and professional instructions. Using the blue resistor. No more ECO light, and smoother shifting. Definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I purchase the vcm 2 yrs ago, but have not installed it ... one of the reasons is because I didnt understand how to use/ install it .. (which resistor to use)

Is there a thread that gives detailed instructions

I am going on a long distance trip (from cold to hot climates) and would like to install before I leave to make there are no issues

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I purchase the vcm 2 yrs ago, but have not installed it ... one of the reasons is because I didnt understand how to use/ install it .. (which resistor to use)

Is there a thread that gives detailed instructions

I am going on a long distance trip (from cold to hot climates) and would like to install before I leave to make there are no issues
You always start with the blue and only make adjustments to the other colours if and when you see it becomes necessary.

Every van and every cooling system is slightly different, just due to age, care, use, environment, etc... So the best way to go is to start with the least added resistance possible and see how it goes for you. It is possible to add too much resistance, which will cause a Check Engine light.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hi,

I bought mine VCM Disabler through eBay. Paid about USD 55 incl shipping to Germany.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172776695580

I have Version 2.0, the seller now offers Version 3.0

I installed it yesterday and it works like a charm. VCM is inactive, the car runs smoother, much more responsive, especially when driving through the city. Also I think even the transmission behaves/ shifts better now (?)

I needed a VCM Disabler shipped to Germany and the one I bought on eBay was the only one offering shipping to Germany. And it does the trick.

But I don't know why his is just half the price compared to the other VCM Disabler solutions available. Quality wise it made a good impression...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Hi,

I bought mine VCM Disabler through eBay. Paid about USD 55 incl shipping to Germany.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172776695580

I have Version 2.0, the seller now offers Version 3.0

I installed it yesterday and it works like a charm. VCM is inactive, the car runs smoother, much more responsive, especially when driving through the city. Also I think even the transmission behaves/ shifts better now (?)

I needed a VCM Disabler shipped to Germany and the one I bought on eBay was the only one offering shipping to Germany. And it does the trick.

But I don't know why his is just half the price compared to the other VCM Disabler solutions available. Quality wise it made a good impression...
What you bought is not as well made as the VCMuzzler. The VCMuzzler has far superior connections and moisture isolation. I hope it works well for you in the long term because I don't want anyone to have problems, but I won't be surprised it starts to fail after a while.

·
Registered
236 Posts
@hondatuner

Really? If you can't follow directions that came with device, I suggest you stay out of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can someone save my weekend so I dont need to read through 91 pages.
I want to eventually delety my vcm option. I cant see the benefit.

Whats the current go method on this? I own a 13.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/268778-vcmuzzler-ii-disabling-vcm-faq-s.html

There is the VCMuzzler II, the MaxMuzzler or the VCMTuner. Any of those are good passive solutions. I've used all three and they all work well. There is an active solution called the S-VCM that many people like but it takes a few more minutes to install.

Everyone with VCM should disable it. It is a bad idea and causes engine and engine mount damage. Many will say the system works great for them and since Honda designed it they will stick with it. Unfortunately, that's flawed logic since, in all cases, it works fine until the misfire codes start, or oil consumption suddenly increases, and then the engine needs to be re-ringed. So everything is great until it's not. The idea is to install a Muzzler before this happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know the order of the colored resistors? I have the blue installed and want to go up one value, due to the cold weather, but I can’t find the instruction book.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Does anyone know the order of the colored resistors? I have the blue installed and want to go up one value, due to the cold weather, but I can’t find the instruction book.
Blue, orange and then red I believe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Ody. Same VCM issues. I did install VCMtuner. worked well for a bit and I was happy. However, not long after, I started seeing engine misfire codes. I read them using my code reader and they were different random engine misfires by cylinder and a random misfire code. has anyone seen this, or is this just my ody..

I also had recent overheating issue, that has since resolved, but I'm aware of how the VCM device tunes the engine temp, so isn't it possible to have an over heat condition, and never know it using these hacks? I really want to reinstall, but I'm nervous about the overheat, and I don't understand the misfires..someone suggested maybe the ECM had been damaged? is that possible?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Hondatuner, just install the blue, which is what I have, and in hot weather, you might see the eco light every once in a while, which is no issue at all.

Niels, don't worry about it, as all it is a wire and an inline resistor.

Tick, you have other issues not directly Muzzler related.

Regarding overheating, if you start to see the temp gauge rise past where it normally is, with or without the Muzzler, you need to take a look. Remember, at least in my case, the temp gauge was basically in the middle pre-Muzzler, and just slightly below the middle, post-Muzzler. You'll know when your car is starting to overheat. You'll see it, and you'll smell it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marvinstockman, thank you. Makes sense..i recall same temp gauge settings when i had it installed.. I thought I saw another version (from canada?) that claimed it would disable vcm, but also give accurate temp data same time..but I can't seem to get back to that link.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
By all means keep your VCM Muzzler installed. Remember it does not affect your engine operating temperature in any way. It only “fools” the ECU with a lower temp signal than actual to prevent VCM from being enabled. If you have an actual engine overheat situation you will know it and see it on your temp gauge.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Marvinstockman, thank you. Makes sense..i recall same temp gauge settings when i had it installed.. I thought I saw another version (from canada?) that claimed it would disable vcm, but also give accurate temp data same time..but I can't seem to get back to that link.
The VCMTunerII will disable VCM 100% of the time but will show accurate temps above a preset threshold, like 225 or something like that, so your temp gauge will indicate an overheat if you do have one.

As mentioned, your issues are not related to the VCM disabling but likely the issues around not installing a VCM disabling device. Presence of the VCM disabling device will not cause a misfire.

1361 - 1380 of 1407 Posts