Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1407 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Question about spark plugs.

I'm one of the early user of VCM Muzzler, I installed it when my Ody had 14K miles. I driven 60,000 miles with the Muzzler on.

But I'm now wondering if it's doing the job we all hope. On my last two J35V6 Hondas, the check engine line came on at around 64K and 67K miles. Fouled plugs. Honda took care of it.

Although I'm sort of still at that mark, I'm just wondering about the spark plugs. Should I go ahead an change them out early? I know they are rated for 105K miles, but with VCM, I don't know. Most would agree they won't last till 105K

I suppose I can take my spark plugs out and see. But if I'm going to do that, might as well DIY replace them. Plus the rear 3 plus are the ones that are affected by VCM. That's a lot more work, again, if I'm removing them, why not just replace them.

So the question is, have any of you gone 100K miles on the Muzzler, how did your spark plus look?

Or did you had to replace your plugs even when you have the Muzzler on?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

I'm one of the early user of VCM Muzzler, I installed it when my Ody had 14K miles. I driven 60,000 miles with the Muzzler on.

But I'm now wondering if it's doing the job we all hope. On my last two J35V6 Hondas, the check engine line came on at around 64K and 67K miles. Fouled plugs. Honda took care of it.

Although I'm sort of still at that mark, I'm just wondering about the spark plugs. Should I go ahead an change them out early? I know they are rated for 105K miles, but with VCM, I don't know. Most would agree they won't last till 105K

I suppose I can take my spark plugs out and see. But if I'm going to do that, might as well DIY replace them. Plus the rear 3 plus are the ones that are affected by VCM. That's a lot more work, again, if I'm removing them, why not just replace them.

So the question is, have any of you gone 100K miles on the Muzzler, how did your spark plus look?

I'm nowhere near 100,000 miles either, but if you are really curious, pull the plug in cylinder 3 only and then decide what to do. If VCM is doing its thing, that'll be the worst one; all the others should be in better shape. If cylinder 3's plug looks decent, be happy and button her up for another 30,000 miles. If not, then pull the rest and make your call.

I wouldn't change them simply for the heck of it - they're pricey. Why waste the money if you don't have to?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I'm nowhere near 100,000 miles either, but if you are really curious, pull the plug in cylinder 3 only and then decide what to do. If VCM is doing its thing, that'll be the worst one; all the others should be in better shape. If cylinder 3's plug looks decent, be happy and button her up for another 40,000 miles.

I wouldn't change them simply for the heck of it - they're pricey. Why waste the money?
Absolutely agree with above. Pull plug 3 (facing engine right rear), it will tell you the whole story.

GoLowDrew - no two cars are the same. With plethora of Muzzler devices, and their settings, you really want to know specifically how your own car is doing, not
how everybody else.
If you had a Sienna, I would totally tell you to replace the plugs, getting the rear 3 is a b..tch of a job. With Honda, no brainer, pull the plug, which takes 10mins tops.

good luck

·
Registered
142 Posts

What year Ody do you have?

Just curious because I have an '07 Touring with about 132K miles and only disabled VCM about a month / 1K miles ago. I changed the plugs around 105K miles and they looked fine. From the different threads though it seems like the 2008 - 2013 model years with VCM2 are more problematic.

I would agree that taking #3 out would be a good check. While you have to do it by feel, as long as you have a universal joint for your socket wrench it's really not hard to remove the back plugs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2014 Odyssey. Added the original muzzler at 22K miles. Replaced plugs last month at 105K and they were all fine. Looked similar to the plugs from my 2004 whenever I replaced them.

·
Registered
557 Posts
GoLow, which and how many plugs were fouled?
I'll be busy the next two weekends so I'll work on this in March. I'll update when I do.

What year Ody do you have?

I have a 2014 Odyssey. Added the original muzzler at 22K miles. Replaced plugs last month at 105K and they were all fine. Looked similar to the plugs from my 2004 whenever I replaced them.
I know no two cars are alike, but good to know since our starting point are similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just in case anyone was wondering, like I was:

I have had a VCM Muzzler II on my 2016 Odyssey since about 10,000 miles.

I have a hard time taking it off the car -- not the fault of the device, I am sure -- I never take the engine cover off to get at it, and sometimes I can pop it right off, and sometimes I'm fiddling with it for 20 minutes. It seems there is a trick to it that my hands forget between oil changes.

I was always very diligent about taking it off the car before going to the dealer for service, and even more so when one time I was handed an inspection report from the dealer that had a place on the form for checking for modifications.

Last oil change, I left it on, dealer didn't say a word.

Today I took the car in for state inspection, emissions, and some fluid changes -- again, dealer did not say a word.

Your mileage may vary, and if I were better at getting the thing off I would just take it off, but so far no negative response from the dealer with a VCM Muzzler II installed.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Just in case anyone was wondering, like I was:

I have had a VCM Muzzler II on my 2016 Odyssey since about 10,000 miles.

I have a hard time taking it off the car -- not the fault of the device, I am sure -- I never take the engine cover off to get at it, and sometimes I can pop it right off, and sometimes I'm fiddling with it for 20 minutes. It seems there is a trick to it that my hands forget between oil changes.

I was always very diligent about taking it off the car before going to the dealer for service, and even more so when one time I was handed an inspection report from the dealer that had a place on the form for checking for modifications.

Last oil change, I left it on, dealer didn't say a word.

Today I took the car in for state inspection, emissions, and some fluid changes -- again, dealer did not say a word.

Your mileage may vary, and if I were better at getting the thing off I would just take it off, but so far no negative response from the dealer with a VCM Muzzler II installed.
The guy who changes your oil at the dealer does not know the difference between muzzler and toaster.
The only guy who would care about your muzzler is the one that needs to do idle relearn.
Put it in and leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The guy who changes your oil at the dealer does not know the difference between muzzler and toaster.
The only guy who would care about your muzzler is the one that needs to do idle relearn.
Put it in and leave it alone.
This^^^^^^^. The dealer that I go to has a quick lube and all they do is oil changes and checks your windshield washer level and tire pressures. Nothing else.

On a side note. Does the guy who sells the S-VCM not make this thing anymore? Every time you check his website it says it will be available in Dec > Jan > Feb > Mar. Never has anything in stock anymore.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This^^^^^^^. The dealer that I go to has a quick lube and all they do is oil changes and checks your windshield washer level and tire pressures. Nothing else.

On a side note. Does the guy who sells the S-VCM not make this thing anymore? Every time you check his website it says it will be available in Dec > Jan > Feb > Mar. Never has anything in stock anymore.
I don't know, but availability was one of the reasons I got the VCMTUNER II instead. Other reasons were I felt the advanced features were worth the slightly higher price as well as being recommended by John Clark. Here is a link to a thread I started if you are interested in more information about it:

https://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/351897-vcmtuner-ii.html

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thanks for the write up on your link BertS. The VCMTUNER II looks like a way better designed and a more advanced unit than the S-VCM. It's definitely worth the few extra dollars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi i have question. Im from Poland whre we have winter and summer.
In winter with blue resistor i didnt have any problem but now i get sometimes ECO light. The worst is that yesterday almost all lamp flashing (battery, ABS, VSA, brake, seat belt etc.) and i think my engine seriously overheat. On cold engine i didnt have any bad sign.
Today i changed resistor to brown. Today outside temperature is about 80

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,395
Hi i have question. Im from Poland whre we have winter and summer.
In winter with blue resistor i didnt have any problem but now i get sometimes ECO light. The worst is that yesterday almost all lamp flashing (battery, ABS, VSA, brake, seat belt etc.) and i think my engine seriously overheat. On cold engine i didnt have any bad sign.
Today i changed resistor to brown. Today outside temperature is about 80
It's very unlikely that your engine was overheating. The flashing of all of the warning lights as you describe is indicative of a P0118 error, which is due to an interruption in the ECT1 circuit. It may also be accompanied by the engine going into "limp mode", which limits how hard you can accelerate and how fast you can go. This is a temporary mode that will stop once the error is cleared.

The error is caused by any one of the following:

ECT1 sensor disconnected during anytime while the engine is running or 6-7 hours after it it shut off.

Poorly connected connector, leading to it becoming disconnected or intermittent connection problems.

Break in the wiring, pulled out terminal, etc.

You should check your engine codes. I'm not sure where you would do that in Poland, but in the US and Canada, you can usually take it to a part's store where they will read the code for free using an OBD reader.

Again, from what you're describing, there was no engine overheat, just a sensor error. This same thing can happen with other sensor problems, so you should get the code checked to see what it was from. If it was the P0118 code, then inspect the OEM harness as well as the VCMuzzler for any wiring or terminal problems, then if that's ok, make sure it's all connected properly with the connectors clicking into place. Do this only first thing in the morning when the engine is completely cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok now i know that my alternator is dead.
I didnt get any code. Maybe my overheating its just my opinion because on OBD scanner (now i install brown resistor) i see 78 celcius coolant temperature.
Today i felt that with brown resistor ECO show more often than on blue.

·
Registered
142 Posts
78C is a little bit high. For VCM to be disabled needs to be below 167F (75C) and I know on my car with the VCMTUNER II the temperature will register 162F (72C) for coolant temperature on the OBDII scanner when fully warmed up and it hasn't entered maintenance mode by idling parked for more than 2 minutes. I don't know the resistance value / color correspondance, but based on what you are saying Blue would appear to be a higher resistance value than Brown, and I would think you would need to have the next greater resistance value above blue if it comes on often with the blue resistor.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Today i installed red resistor.
I just affraid of overheat engine. In my previous car Honda Accord i didnt have so hot engine under hood.
If you are concerned your car is getting too hot right now it might be an idea to temporarily remove the muzzler and check the actual temperature through the OBD scan tool. If it is running too hot then obviously would need to troubleshoot the problem.

None of the devices to disable VCM change the actual temperature, they only trick the engine computer to believe it is lower than it actually is (below 167F) so it won't enable VCM. One negative of the passive resistor devices is the temperature which the ECM sees will always read lower than actual temperature even if it is an overheating condition. In some testing I did with my VCMTUNER II there is no noticeable change in the temperature gauge with a 36F change in temperature through the OBD scan tool (162F with VCM disabled to 198F actual temperature in maintenance mode). The actual temperature would have to be much hotter before you would know from the dash you were in an over heating condition.

Longer term if you are worried about knowing right away if there is an overheating condition then there are other alternatives to disable VCM such as VCMTUNER II and S-VCM. These are active devices which monitor the ECT1 sensor and if they detect an overheating condition will pass the actual information on to the ECM so you can see it on the dash temperature gauge the same as if there were no device installed. The added benefit of these devices is there are no resistors to change so VCM is disabled all the time under normal conditions. Given the Ody is the car my wife drives most of the time I wanted the "install and forget" option since she wouldn't notice the ECO light.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
?? As stated above, none of the VCM muzzler devices affect the engine operating temperature in any way. Just install the appropriate resister or device setting and enjoy the peace of mind of having VCM disabled.

1381 - 1400 of 1407 Posts