Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1401 - 1407 of 1407 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 EX-L. My plugs fouled at 110K. Keep in mind I changed the oil with full synthetic religiously every 4k miles. So I was very surprised to have engine issues. Put a muzzler on right after. Just drove the car from Atlanta to Chicago and back with the muzzler. It drove better than brand new. Not a single issue. I did not see any change in mileage at all. Matter of fact I think I got better mileage. Smooth...powerful...wish I had discovered this device sooner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello folks,

I found this thread yesterday and finally made it all the way through. Whew!

My 2012 EX-L RES, 78k mi, had the VSA and CEL lights come on yesterday, so I took it to the dealer (I don't have a scan tool or anything). The service advisor calls me an hour later to tell me he needs to do a piston ring job, and wham, my 8-years-and-six-weeks-old Ody (i.e., just out of warranty) is about to ruin Christmas. Thankfully, he gets his district mgr. to approve a goodwill 99% coverage. I'm having the timing belt replaced while they're in there, but it sure seems like the VCM is the cause of my problems. I'd not heard of the Muzzler before yesterday, but I want one. (now, gotta convince the lady that it's necessary...)

@verbatim, PM sent.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,404
Hello folks,

I found this thread yesterday and finally made it all the way through. Whew!

My 2012 EX-L RES, 78k mi, had the VSA and CEL lights come on yesterday, so I took it to the dealer (I don't have a scan tool or anything). The service advisor calls me an hour later to tell me he needs to do a piston ring job, and wham, my 8-years-and-six-weeks-old Ody (i.e., just out of warranty) is about to ruin Christmas. Thankfully, he gets his district mgr. to approve a goodwill 99% coverage. I'm having the timing belt replaced while they're in there, but it sure seems like the VCM is the cause of my problems. I'd not heard of the Muzzler before yesterday, but I want one. (now, gotta convince the lady that it's necessary...)

@verbatim, PM sent.
I think it's still covered under the extended warranty due to the class action lawsuit settlement, so I don't think they're being that gracious to you, I think they're just trying to make it look like they're being the heros to you. I can't say that for sure but that's what I expect.

Replied to your PM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think it's still covered under the extended warranty due to the class action lawsuit settlement, so I don't think they're being that gracious to you, I think they're just trying to make it look like they're being the heros to you. I can't say that for sure but that's what I expect.

Replied to your PM.
Thanks! Perhaps they're pulling some fancy tricks, because as I read the settlement, it's 8y from delivery, which in my case was 10/31/11 - so otherwise I'd be SOL on this one. Regardless, I'm grateful to them, this community, and you for the development and stress-testing of the solution.

Reply PM sent, thanks.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts

Replied to your PM.
Directly from the Honda Warranty extension TSB (https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/web/A13-081.pdf)
"American Honda is extending the powertrain warranty to cover repairs related to engine misfire (that triggers DTCs P0301 through P0304) to 8 years with unlimited mileage from the original date of purchase and has settled a class action based on this remedial measure."

If car has been originally registered over 8 years ago, technically speaking you would be SOL.
Honda may provide goodwill at their discretion, but they owe you nothing legally speaking.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Good luck. Definetely get a VCM muzzler device. I have the original one from Verbatim and it works great. Honda will not admit that their VCM feature/function causes this issue, or any other issue. Sad.

1401 - 1407 of 1407 Posts