Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1401 - 1417 of 1417 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 EX-L. My plugs fouled at 110K. Keep in mind I changed the oil with full synthetic religiously every 4k miles. So I was very surprised to have engine issues. Put a muzzler on right after. Just drove the car from Atlanta to Chicago and back with the muzzler. It drove better than brand new. Not a single issue. I did not see any change in mileage at all. Matter of fact I think I got better mileage. Smooth...powerful...wish I had discovered this device sooner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello folks,

I found this thread yesterday and finally made it all the way through. Whew!

My 2012 EX-L RES, 78k mi, had the VSA and CEL lights come on yesterday, so I took it to the dealer (I don't have a scan tool or anything). The service advisor calls me an hour later to tell me he needs to do a piston ring job, and wham, my 8-years-and-six-weeks-old Ody (i.e., just out of warranty) is about to ruin Christmas. Thankfully, he gets his district mgr. to approve a goodwill 99% coverage. I'm having the timing belt replaced while they're in there, but it sure seems like the VCM is the cause of my problems. I'd not heard of the Muzzler before yesterday, but I want one. (now, gotta convince the lady that it's necessary...)

@verbatim, PM sent.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,404
Hello folks,

I found this thread yesterday and finally made it all the way through. Whew!

My 2012 EX-L RES, 78k mi, had the VSA and CEL lights come on yesterday, so I took it to the dealer (I don't have a scan tool or anything). The service advisor calls me an hour later to tell me he needs to do a piston ring job, and wham, my 8-years-and-six-weeks-old Ody (i.e., just out of warranty) is about to ruin Christmas. Thankfully, he gets his district mgr. to approve a goodwill 99% coverage. I'm having the timing belt replaced while they're in there, but it sure seems like the VCM is the cause of my problems. I'd not heard of the Muzzler before yesterday, but I want one. (now, gotta convince the lady that it's necessary...)

@verbatim, PM sent.
I think it's still covered under the extended warranty due to the class action lawsuit settlement, so I don't think they're being that gracious to you, I think they're just trying to make it look like they're being the heros to you. I can't say that for sure but that's what I expect.

Replied to your PM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it's still covered under the extended warranty due to the class action lawsuit settlement, so I don't think they're being that gracious to you, I think they're just trying to make it look like they're being the heros to you. I can't say that for sure but that's what I expect.

Replied to your PM.
Thanks! Perhaps they're pulling some fancy tricks, because as I read the settlement, it's 8y from delivery, which in my case was 10/31/11 - so otherwise I'd be SOL on this one. Regardless, I'm grateful to them, this community, and you for the development and stress-testing of the solution.

Reply PM sent, thanks.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

Replied to your PM.
Directly from the Honda Warranty extension TSB (https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/web/A13-081.pdf)
"American Honda is extending the powertrain warranty to cover repairs related to engine misfire (that triggers DTCs P0301 through P0304) to 8 years with unlimited mileage from the original date of purchase and has settled a class action based on this remedial measure."

If car has been originally registered over 8 years ago, technically speaking you would be SOL.
Honda may provide goodwill at their discretion, but they owe you nothing legally speaking.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Good luck. Definetely get a VCM muzzler device. I have the original one from Verbatim and it works great. Honda will not admit that their VCM feature/function causes this issue, or any other issue. Sad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Got the car back yesterday. It had a P0303 misfire code, so they cleaned three cyls and replaced 4 sparkers per the updated TSB. Unfortunately I assume this means that cyl 4 is probably still dirty-ish, and I would've preferred they clean them all, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks forum, and thanks @verbatim for the quick shipment of the VCMuzzlerII. USPS tells me to expect it on Monday (assuming SanFran customs/ISC clears it through quickly).

-David

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there,

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm not an Ody owner, I own a Pilot. I, like many other Pilot owners had problems with VCM causing vibrations when activated particularly during cold weather. Not knowing what VCM was or what it was all about, I took to my computer to learn all about it and decided very quickly that it is flawed technology, leading to grief for many including oil bypassing and excessive consumption, misfire, plug fouling, vibrations issues and potentially long term engine damage. I also found out quickly that there is no good way to disable it without causing CEL codes and disabling of other systems when removing the connector on the oil pressure switch.

Because I believe Honda only created VCM to improve it's fuel efficiency ratings, and meet CAFE regulations and sell more cars, I set out to come up with a better way to disable it. VCM isn't good for an engine. Both Honda and GM have proven that now. Their PCM flashes and component swaps, extended warranties and TSB's all prove that out.

So I believe I've solved this for those that want to disable it. I've come up with a solution that isn't through programming as nobody has figured that out yet, but I've used it for about 2-3 months now and I love it. My Pilot runs like a dream and I love having no VCM activate. the drop in Mileage is minimal. Others urged me to spread the word specifically to the Ody forums because there are many Ody owners that are unsatisfied with this technology also that honda has forced upon us. My searches here have confirmed that to be true.

My solution creates no CEL codes and can be installed in a about a minute and can be reverted to stock in the same amount of time for those times when you want to take it to the dealership.

I've checked with the moderators and they seem to be open to me posting this in the classifieds section, but I just want to make 100% sure before I do. It's been a popular fix so far and I want to help others rid themselves of VCM. Engines aren't meant to drop cylinders, nobody has been able to do it without issues yet. Having said that, I'm not saying that VCM always causes problems. The majority of owners are either not sensitive enough to it's side effects, or their vehicles don't ever experience any issues. However, there are plenty of others that are.

This has all been discussed over and over in many forums so I don't want this to be another divided debate on whether VCM is good or bad, I'm just offering up my solution to those who hate it like I do. I was seriously considering selling my Pilot, but now I love it.
I will be probably needing one for 2011 accord. How do I contact you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Ody I purchased about 10 months ago. Had no idea of the Service issue or the VCM issue. Just got a flashing CEL and traction control light when accelerating on interstate. It's running but the lights remain. Checked codes and getting a misfire on cyl 2. Looking over the internet and discovered the TSB. Called Honda dealership and of course, out of warranty period. They will do the work outlined in the TSB...for $2500. Thinking I'm going to change the spark plugs and install the muzzler or am I too late and has the damage already been done?

@verbatim can you tell me how to order? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 2011 Ody I purchased about 10 months ago. Had no idea of the Service issue or the VCM issue. Just got a flashing CEL and traction control light when accelerating on interstate. It's running but the lights remain. Checked codes and getting a misfire on cyl 2. Looking over the internet and discovered the TSB. Called Honda dealership and of course, out of warranty period. They will do the work outlined in the TSB...for $2500. Thinking I'm going to change the spark plugs and install the muzzler or am I too late and has the damage already been done?

@verbatim can you tell me how to order? Thanks
What exactly does that work involve? I'm not familiar with that TSB

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The gist of the warranty extension TSB is to take the engine apart to replace the damaged piston rings. What's not stated in the TSB is that the damage to the piston rings is caused by Honda's VCM function and that it could all be avoided if VCM were disabled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's been a month, so I just wanted to jump back in to say that the VCMuzzler arrived on time, well packed, and it was a 30-second install. Took me longer to take the plastic engine cover off than to install the device.
The ECO lamp has not lit since install, and I see the radiator temp needle hangs out a little below midline. Now, it's still winter, but everything's checking out.

Thanks again, @verbatim, for your solution.

-David

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is the 2005-10 forum . The Honda Service bulletin is for 2011 models or later and does not apply to 2005-10 models and nowhere , I mean nowhere in that bulletin does it mention installing a VCM Muzzler.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
Sir, it has been pointed out in several threads that you have no idea what you are talking about. The service bulletin did in fact apply to 2008-2010 EX-L & Touring models that had a different engine, like the 2011-2013.

Those vans are now out of the warranty extension period. But there were folks, here in this section, who did (and had to) avail themselves of this service.

You have a 2006 that does not have the VCM system these threads are about. Your opinion is not relevant.

This is not a Honda Corp. forum. We can talk about and recommend whatever we want. I understand your view that this is just stupid snake oil. Because almost every do-hicky ever sold to attach to an engine claiming miraculous results is in fact bologna. HOWEVER, this device (actually about 6-8 different ones all doing essentially the same thing made by many different folks) is made to do one thing in specific engines made by Honda. If solves a problem people have. It solves a problem YOU DO NOT HAVE. I do not understand why this pushes your buttons so much. What's it to ya?

IF you can explain what these Muzzlers do, then you can post about them. But you have proven time and again that you have no idea what they do and why anyone would want them. So what, because using them is not up to you.

1401 - 1417 of 1417 Posts