Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First-time poster and thanks for all the info. A couple of days ago my check engine light was flashing and disabled my LDW, FCW, and traction. After reading countless threads on this site I realized that the issue was a misfire caused by the VCM. The next day had it was scanned and code p0301 came up but the light went away and was running fine. The next day lights came back and made an appointment with the dealer. Here now and they tell me the same thing, piston rings even though they are aware of service bulletin for the older odysseys with the same issue. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty through Carmax so that is less stress but I will be looking for the muzzle to prevent this from happening again. I will update you with the work that the dealer will do when they are done.
Thanks to this community for helping me realize this issue so that I was prepared to come into the dealer armed with the knowledge of the problems.

Ricardo

2016 Honda Oddysey
66650 miles
One vehicle family

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you have a warranty.
Honda should be covering this for every owner.
I agree, the number of VCM issues that I have seen is ridiculous especially the low mileage ones. Looks like they need to do another lawsuit to have this issue covered, even though it looks like its just kicking the can down the road in exchange for an extra mile on MPG

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,197 Posts
I wouldn't get a ring replacement done whether you are paying for it or not. Not worth the risk. Just disable VCM, replace plugs, and move on.

· Registered
2010 EX-L 250,000 2010 Touring 120,000
382 Posts
@rsotelo do as WiiMaster says...that's what I did for my EX-L with 185K miles and all is good.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

· Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
2,014 Posts
If Carmax's warranty is paying for it and there's no cost to OP... I'd lean towards getting the ring replacement done. If you had to pay for it, even part of it, then that's a different story.

I know it's a risk opening up the engine, but getting the rings replaced for free sounds like a good plan to me.

· Registered
903 Posts
If Carmax's warranty is paying for it and there's no cost to OP... I'd lean towards getting the ring replacement done. If you had to pay for it, even part of it, then that's a different story.

I know it's a risk opening up the engine, but getting the rings replaced for free sounds like a good plan to me.
Only IF Honda techs are doing the work.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,197 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
I wouldn't get a ring replacement done whether you are paying for it or not. Not worth the risk. Just disable VCM, replace plugs, and move on.
x100 this.

However, if you get it done at a dealer AND you can get them to do a preemptive timing belt change for the cost of parts and an extra couple of hours of labor to sweeten the deal, go for it and you won’t have to do it again for 7 years or 105k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,041 Posts
is the carmax warranty going to cover this for certain? others have posted being screwed over after engine tear down / assessment, to discover that carbon buildup is not covered under warranty.

then you are left effed paying for the job as the warranty company backs away with your car in pieces.

better be sure before you consent to the disassembly / inspection.

· Registered
5,041 Posts
Only IF Honda techs are doing the work.
for your amusement...

· Registered
313 Posts
Curious why you never installed muzzler to turn off VCM? Was it because of the carmax warranty? Miles on it when purchased and miles now when problem started?

First-time poster and thanks for all the info. A couple of days ago my check engine light was flashing and disabled my LDW, FCW, and traction. After reading countless threads on this site I realized that the issue was a misfire caused by the VCM. The next day had it was scanned and code p0301 came up but the light went away and was running fine. The next day lights came back and made an appointment with the dealer. Here now and they tell me the same thing, piston rings even though they are aware of service bulletin for the older odysseys with the same issue. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty through Carmax so that is less stress but I will be looking for the muzzle to prevent this from happening again. I will update you with the work that the dealer will do when they are done.
Thanks to this community for helping me realize this issue so that I was prepared to come into the dealer armed with the knowledge of the problems.

Ricardo

2016 Honda Oddysey
66650 miles
One vehicle family

· Registered
28 Posts
I also have a 2016 Odyssey with 109,000 miles. I count myself lucky that I found this forum and learned about the VCM Tuner II. I was fortunate to have driven mostly highway miles so I had not encountered any issues.
I added the VCM tuner and was surprised to feel a difference almost immediately in noticing a much smoother engine.
Just did a timing belt change, trans flush and fill, radiator flush and new plugs and feel ready for my next 100k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.