Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
First poster here.

Recently had P3497 pop up on my check engine status and the ECO light on the dash did not appear at steady speeds.
Hence my assumption of the vcm issue.

I replaced the pressure switch as required for on bank 2 (The front one) and The code went away.
Yesterday the same code popped up again while my wife drove the van. The code was accompanied by quite a bit of vibration this time, which did not happen the first time we received the code.

The vibration happens on idle, but goes away when driving. It also happens upon vehicle start up. The vehicle seems a bit laboured when climbing hills with less power and generally feels weaker than normal.
I had the oil changed last week after I replaced the oil Pressure switch (Honda factory part) We have no other current issues other than this one.
I’m taking it to the dealership (heart attack already just thinking what it’s going to cost) and after the dealership I’m going to get one of those vcm muzzlers.

does this sound like on on the right track?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Possible clogged front spool valve and misfire cylinder #4. Try cleaning the gasket filter and reset the CEL. First go to the auto parts store and ask for the codes to be pulled. May need new spool valve gaskets. Make sure to torque the 3 bolts to 9lb-ft. Cheap to fix if DIY.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have added into my post that I also changed the spool valve seals.
In fact shortly after I changed the seals and filter is when my issues started. (Face palm)
The old Filter was clean but changed it anyways.

After I saw the code the first time I went back in And checked the seals and filter and everything was still clean and tight.That’s when I replaced the pressure switch as per code.
Drove for a week and a bit and all was fine, then it popped up again with the code and vibrations.

·
Registered
458 Posts
3 bolts need a torque wrench at 9lb-ft. Probably over tightened. Vibration is misfire. ECM shuts down fuel to protect the cat. Or possible bad gasket filter is too restrictive. Also suggest maybe change the oil.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
It's normal for ECO to not light up when a CEL is active, whether the CEL is related to VCM or not. Any CEL will disable VCM.

The engine is probably in limp mode which is normal when there's an issue in this system.

OEM spool valve gasket?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3 bolts need a torque wrench at 9lb-ft. Probably over tightened. Vibration is misfire. ECM shuts down fuel to protect the cat. Or possible bad gasket filter is too restrictive. Also suggest maybe change the oil.
Checked the bolts. They are good.
Brand new Oil change happened last week immediately after changing the pressure switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's normal for ECO to not light up when a CEL is active, whether the CEL is related to VCM or not. Any CEL will disable VCM.

The engine is probably in limp mode which is normal when there's an issue in this system.

OEM spool valve gasket?
ECO mode kicked in on the test drive immediately after I changed the pressure switch, cleared the code and test drove it around.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Vibration is misfire probably P0304. Clear the codes and let the engine cool will cure the misfire. But when ECO turns on the misfire will return. So muzzling does indirectly fix the vibration.
Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Portable communications device Telephone

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vibration is misfire probably P0304. Clear the codes and let the engine cool will cure the misfire. But when ECO turns on the misfire will return. So muzzling does indirectly fix the vibration.
View attachment 169773
That’s interesting.
The only indicator on my reader is the 3497- oil pressure switch bank two.
(Unless I’m not seeing all the codes.

as far asthe misfiring going- I shouldn’t drive it until it’s corrected?
And based on the code, or lack of other codes, the misfire is related directly to the VCM issue?

·
Registered
458 Posts
See the green shirt holding the scanner? That's an O'Reilly employee who scanned my daughter's Accord V6 when it got a P3497 with accompanying misfire. It started in Iowa on the way to Nebraska. I gently drove the car for about 120 miles at maybe 70MPH which was the speed with the least vibration. I let the car cool overnight in the hotel parking garage. The next morning, I disconnected the battery, removed and re-torqued the spool valve and adjusted the VCMTuner1 up from 45 to 55. Once the car was running ok I brought it to a local oil change place for fresh 0-W20. I did not want to run the car with any gasoline contaminated engine oil. We then drove 500 miles to Colorado without drama. My mistake was forgetting to warn my daughter to watch out for the ECO light and it was a hot day over 90F. In short, your issue can be solved with a muzzler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See the green shirt holding the scanner? That's an O'Reilly employee who scanned my daughter's Accord V6 when it got a P3497 with accompanying misfire. It started in Iowa on the way to Nebraska. I gently drove the car for about 120 miles at maybe 70MPH which was the speed with the least vibration. I let the car cool overnight in the hotel parking garage. The next morning, I disconnected the battery, removed and re-torqued the spool valve and adjusted the VCMTuner1 up from 45 to 55. Once the car was running ok I brought it to a local oil change place for fresh 0-W20. I did not want to run the car with any gasoline contaminated engine oil. We then drove 500 miles to Colorado without drama. My mistake was forgetting to warn my daughter to watch out for the ECO light and it was a hot day over 90F. In short, your issue can be solved with a muzzler.
Good to know.
We don’t have an O’Reilly’s up here in the great white north. Our closest is Auto Value, and I don’t know if Id trust them 100%.

I appreciate your help.
Now to wait for an updated stock on the VCMtuner.com website
I’ll pick one up next week and install it immediately.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
Good to know.
We don’t have an O’Reilly’s up here in the great white north. Our closest is Auto Value, and I don’t know if Id trust them 100%.

I appreciate your help.
Now to wait for an updated stock on the VCMtuner.com website
I’ll pick one up next week and install it immediately.
If you'd like, you could probably get the S-VCM instead. It'll be cheaper and ships much faster since you're in Canada. Does the same as VCMTuner II.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
If you have VCM, a muzzler like VCMTuner is definitely the way to go; but I doubt that it can also fix your code P3497. If it does, please come back and post your result--you are going to be the first on this board to cure code P3497 with a muzzler.

Reactions: bugman

·
Registered
61 Posts
OEM spool valve gasket?
If the OP replaced the spool valve with genuine Honda as he says in his original post, then this should not be an issue as the new part would have come with those gaskets.
You cannot buy genuine Honda spool valve gaskets by themselves (the "Honda" branded spool valve gaskets you see on ebay are counterfeit.)

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
If the OP replaced the spool valve with genuine Honda as he says in his original post, then this should not be an issue as the new part would have come with those gaskets.
You cannot buy genuine Honda spool valve gaskets by themselves (the "Honda" branded spool valve gaskets you see on ebay are counterfeit.)
Yes, but OP never said that they replaced the full spool valve. They only said they replaced the pressure switch (which Honda does sell separately) and the gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, but OP never said that they replaced the full spool valve. They only said they replaced the pressure switch (which Honda does sell separately) and the gasket.
You are correct sir.
Unfortunately, I did not change the entire spool valve, simply the gaskets, which were infact Amazon knockoffs. (I shall hanger my head in shame)
Going to be going with a new spool valve unit next. VCMtuner 2 on order now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lookin to replace my front Spool valve as I have recently been given a P3497 code, accompanied with shaking and vibration in Idle and a sluggish while driving.

I changed out the original seals previous to any issues, with aftermarket seals (I should have known better) and that is immediately when the issues started. I changed out the Oil pressure sensor as directed by the P3497 code and the check engine popped up again 2 weeks later with the same code. I'd like the now look into changing the Spool valve completely, as I believe this was my fist step where it all went wrong.

Dealership wants 1200+ tax for the job.
Parts are only $475, and I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, I just need a step by step video or how to guide.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts