Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to disable vcm (if is on the ex-l which I think it is)

what do you think about disabling the vcm on a new van? We bought the longest hondacare warranty they offer and I don’t want to jeopardize the warranty.

·
Registered
208 Posts
That would definitely jeopardize the warranty. In older models, it is hard on the expensive motor mounts, but on newer models it seems to be a lot better. And if I understand correctly, driving in sport mode disables both auto idle and vcm on 2019 Touring and Elite and 2020+ all trims.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Many have suggested VCM Muzzler but the problem you face is if you experience an engine malfunction with it installed and are not able to remove it before the dealer gets ahold of it, you may lose out. Also, the muzzler simply makes the ECU think the engine is still cold and therefore disables VCM. This "cold engine" data may get logged in the PCM and even if you do remove the device, any tech that tries to troubleshoot the malfunctioned engine may notice something could be going on.

I, personally, am more concerned about piston ring wear than motor mounts going bad. I have sent my first oil sample to blackstone and had elevated metal levels but I only have 16,xxx miles on the engine. I changed the oil at 6,xxx miles and had 10,216 miles on the sample I sent in. I'm going to change it again at roughly 25,000 miles and compare the results. I can post the initial findings in another thread if there is interest.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That would definitely jeopardize the warranty. In older models, it is hard on the expensive motor mounts, but on newer models it seems to be a lot better. And if I understand correctly, driving in sport mode disables both auto idle and vcm on 2019 Touring and Elite and 2020+ all trims.
I was hoping not driving in ECO mode will do it. The mileage with non-eco mode is not superb. Sport mode will definitely make it worse.

Not what I was hoping.

My last gen ody had the piston rings done at 138k miles, 7 yr 5 mos of ownership from new.

Does anybody know if there is free extended warranty coverage up to 8 years like last gen?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Does anybody know if there is free extended warranty coverage up to 8 years like last gen?
Nope, there isn't.

The extended warranty that you "got to" take advantage of doesn't apply to any vehicles after the 2013 model year. So folks who own 2014-2017 Odysseys can feel the breeze against their exposed backsides as they have pretty much the same VCM system that failed before but not the same extra coverage.

The VCM system in 2018+ Odysseys is different and all indications are that it is way better than the older version. Given your experience with your last Ody, I certainly couldn't blame you for being wary but you probably don't need to worry about it very much.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
There is no factory built-in way to disable VCM on any Honda V6. If there were, Honda wouldn't get the CAFE credits they need from the EPA and that is the entire and exclusive point of having VCM in the first place. If it weren't for fuel economy requirements, there's no chance Honda ever bothers with something like VCM. I honestly don't know whether Sport mode disables idle-stop.

There was a lot of discussion in the gen 3 and gen 4 forums about warranty implications for disabling VCM, and the basic principle is still true: you can contravene the terms of your warranty without necessarily putting it in jeopardy. Every warranty document contains the standard lines forbidding engine modifications, so no, Honda will never say it's OK to for an owner to disable VCM - like I said earlier, they can't even if they wanted to. But considering that disabling VCM actually makes your engine's life simpler (it runs all 6 cylinders all the time, no muss no fuss) the probability that you ever have a problem that could be tied to disabling VCM is remote at best. That link between the modification and the problem you want your warranty to address must be clear. Honda could not, for example, deny a claim to fix your sliding doors because you have a VCM disable device installed. On my 2015, I have been in and out of our friendly neighbourhood Honda dealership's service department multiple times with a VCM disable device installed and they never said a single word about it. If you don't want to take any chances, you can remove it before you take your van in for service.

The biggest thing to consider here is how necessary you feel it is to disable the VCM. On gen 4 Odysseys, I consider it a no-brainer - you should absolutely do it. Unfortunately, the technology of the time was not up to the task being asked of it and problems came up as a result. But the VCM3 system that the 2018+ Odys get seems to be a much much different kind of animal. The "right" choice is not so clear-cut.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nope, there isn't.

The extended warranty that you "got to" take advantage of doesn't apply to any vehicles after the 2013 model year. So folks who own 2014-2017 Odysseys can feel the breeze against their exposed backsides as they have pretty much the same VCM system that failed before but not the same extra coverage.

The VCM system in 2018+ Odysseys is different and all indications are that it is way better than the older version. Given your experience with your last Ody, I certainly couldn't blame you for being wary but you probably don't need to worry about it very much.
Thanks for the info.

I wonder why they didn’t put the light in this gen to tell you when VCM is active.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts