Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my 2012 TE was running ok on the trip but just now on the way back home it got:

1. Flashing CEL
2. Check VSC system MID
3. Check emission system MID
4. Limp mode.

It has 119945mile (i have the 120K warranty) and was purchased in Oct 2012. Only thing I noticed lately, was worse than average MPG and some oil consumption. I guess I could go buy a OBD reader to find out if it is one of the VCM codes. :(

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sounds like some rocker arm pressure sensors I recently had replaced. Get the codes read. I had a P3400 code.
One on each head, easy to get to.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Quick, general info here (and I'm not familiar with your previous situation and repairs on this car):

In general, a flashing CEL indicates a more urgent warning than a steady CEL. Check your owner's manual, but it may tell you to pull over and get it towed to a Honda dealer.

In general, a VSC (stability or traction control type of warning) warning may be tripped by a more generic powertrain problem. For safety reasons, if the car thinks there is something wrong with the engine, maybe the VSC will be unreliable, so it warns you not to rely upon it. So it does not necessarily mean you have more than one issue, or that the one issue you have is related to stability control, although it could be.

Not sure about the emission system one.

BTW, this situation is exactly why when I bought the Foxwell software for my Honda, I bought a whole new Foxwell NT520 so I can just leave it in the car all the time, rather than paying much less to add the Honda software to another of my Foxwell units.

I would get the codes read somewhere ASAP, and good luck with the warranty and getting home safely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got home. I was returning home on I75N in south ATL when the car went into limp mode. I was planning on taking it to the closest Honda dealer but there were zero uber/lift cars available. I was forced to drive limp mode (no a/c) back home to in north ATL. So I have 30 miles before my 120K warranty runs out.I tried plugging in an old OB2 scanner and I got a no link error. I might go buy a newer one to have on hand.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
I would have it towed to a dealer. Plan on getting a rental. Does your extended warranty cover that? Is it real Honda Care?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got hold of a working OB2. Three codes all are cylinder two misfire P0302. Is that dealing with the VCM?

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
Seems soon after getting the required timing belt & spark plug replacement service. (Due at 105k) if you have neglected that, get it done with the ring replacement, many have done so at a discount. That all has to be removed to replace the rings. You will also have to pay for any spark plugs not included in the repair. Technically you are out of the extended warranty (by time) outlinedin the service bulletin, but not your extended warranty. Which is/is not Honda Care?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the timing belt around 98K and plugs around 80K. Yes I have the Honda Care. I think I should be good under both since I got the car in Oct 2012 and under 120K.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go over the 120K... they will find every excuse not to cover it. Drive it to the dealer if it's close, but tow it otherwise. Best of luck, hopefully everything will be covered. Keep us updated!

Reactions: parmm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honda confirmed it was the VCM issue and will do the ring job. They mentioned they will replace the 3 spark plugs. I am guessing it is the back bank. Then the front will not be replaced. They wanted 280 for the other three plugs. I looked at napa and the NGK laser iridium around 15 bucks each. Why are they charging so much?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On the plus side they found the valve cover on the front was leaking too so the Honda care will take care of that too. Made it by 23miles. I need to play the lotto.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
$280 to change 3 sparks plugs while they are already under the hood and (I assume) already have them out?

It sounds like they won the lottery.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
256 Posts
The front three are easy... it'll cost you $20 for the 3 plugs and ~15 mins of time... if they don't cover it, then no big deal.

Once the ring job is completed, disable the VCM asap... the van should last you at least another 120K+.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts