Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it's been like 6 years since Honda came out with it's VCM technology in the Ody, has anyone heard of any major issues with its reliability? Does anyone know of any VCM Odys that have gone over 200K miles without problem?

I'm just wondering because I know the normal J35 Honda engines are solid as a rock... just not sure if VCM equipped ones are the same. I just always have had this feeling that it can't be good for the cylinders to wear unevenly like that (since half the cylinders are not firing all the time, they are subjected to less stress and wear).

Anyone have any ideas or insight?

·
Registered
57 Posts
there are odysseys on the forum with vcm that went over 200k miles, in my opinion the vcm engine is also reliable except for the fact it wears the rear mount faster

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Also, it is questionable that the VCM by itself saves any gasoline.
Here is an example of engineers trying to defy the law of Physics with no success!
So if you can stay away from VCM, do so.
I am happy I don't have VCM, which IMHO a piece of failed technology.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally agree the VCM is a waste... doesn't save enough gas to justify the added complexity. If I had the option to NOT get VCM, I would have, but unfortunately, all EX-Ls and Touring had it and I wanted the extra features in those trim levels.

And as far as I know, there is no easy way to disable VCM via a fuse or software or anything is there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have successfully disabled VCM on my 2008 Odyssey Touring by pulling the connector off of the rocker arm oil pressure sensor. The only consequence seems to be that the check engine light comes on. Mileage seems unaffected. This sensor is on the drivers end of the rear cylinder head. Don't confuse it with the VCM solenoid nearby.
I had taken the car in to honda once to have them fix the annoying vibrations. They failed. I can see why. The list of things that could cause excessive vibration in 3 cylinder mode is quite long. The dealers are not prepared to troubleshoot problems this complex. Better to just turn it off. I now have the car I thought I was buying.

FYI.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... can you post a picture of the exact connector you unplugged? I think I am going to try this as well!

Have you read the CEL to see what the error code is with the plug unplugged?

·
Registered
47 Posts
IMO VCM is only worth it if you have the MID that gives you the real-time calculated fuel mileage so you know for sure when it is in operation and can drive to keep it engaged. For some people that's probably too much work and then VCM probably is a waste. For me, I got 28 MPG on my last drive here from Iowa so I'm not complaining. How much complexity does it add really? I mean mechanically it's just a tweak to what's already there with the standard vtec, right? That's what it looked like to me from looking at the FSM anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wrong wrong wrong. has anyone studied the theory of the combustion engine with computer control????? Pistons go up and down valves open and close, spark fires at 1 or 2 points in the 4 stroke cycle. aaaand. the INJECTORS PEOPLE!!!! the injector squirts fuel into the cylinder on the compression stroke. so you have disabled the oil pressure adjuster solenoid for the VCM huh? do you know that that does? It applies oil pressure to the valve train components to allow the valves to "not" close all the way when the cylinders are turned off. You are not disabling the injectors, or the spark, or allowing the cleaning of the unburned fuel that is being dumped in to your catalysts behind all this process. your cats are on fire and possibly glowing red while driving. cats are more than a grand each. you have 4 sometimes 6 depending on the model. unburned fuel does burn into carbon deposits and causes pinging and detonation which tells your ECM to retard the timing to prevent destruction to your engine. I' bet if I scanned your car and watched the fuel trim in your engine it would be sooo far rich which in turn would show soo far lean since your engine doesn't want unburned fuel that i'd laugh. You are killing your car and honestly unless you designed the car you drive just leave it alone or take it to someone who has a clue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Zymol75:
You need to re-read my post carefully. I disabled the sensor, not the solenoid. The computer sees the defect and disables all VCM related operations. Runs smooth as silk.
You may want to retract your post.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Exactly. Keep your shirt on Zymol! (I'm kidding)

Disabling any component of the VCM system deactivates the whole system.

Regardless, if I had the choice, I'd go non-VCM. There's extra cycling of the torque converter lockup and extra wear on that rear engine mount like said. There is some fuel savings with it, but for the average owner it's minimal.

Joel

·
Registered
50 Posts
The thing I'd worry least about with VCM is extra wear on the "always on" cylinders vs. the ones that VCM shuts down, so to speak. At the end of the life of the engine, those cylinders that are shut down at times might (maybe) look a bit cleaner, but all of the moving parts within the cylinder are still moving in de-activated mode. There might be a long-term difference in wear-effect on the valvetrain, because that's (in my understanding) where the moving parts are that essentially stop moving when VCM is operating. My knowledge of the system is nowhere near the two posters above (presently at odds, so it seems), though.

Nate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here are links to a pair of pictures of the rocker arm oil pressure sensor.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp302/cmoswizard/bigpicture.jpg

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp302/cmoswizard/Sensor.jpg

The arrows point to the sensor. Both it and the connector are capped off with tape and tie wrapped to prevent dirt getting into the connection. The sensor cable is also tie wrapped to prevent vibration damage.

I'm not recommending that everyone do this. Just noting that it is possible.
Removing the engine cover can also be challenging. Two front screws counterclockwise 1/4 turn and then lift the back at the 3/4 point directly vertical. Wiggle it. Don't force it. It can break.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I totally agree the VCM is a waste... doesn't save enough gas to justify the added complexity. If I had the option to NOT get VCM, I would have, but unfortunately, all EX-Ls and Touring had it and I wanted the extra features in those trim levels.

And as far as I know, there is no easy way to disable VCM via a fuse or software or anything is there?
Totally agree. I wish I didn't have the VCM. We don't have any problems but for all the added engine crap and no mileage gain it's a waste of money and more things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry I dipped out Ive been too busy for the net in the last week or so... I did re-read "MY" post and yes, I misreplied as you did state the sensor not the solenoid. So what? now your MIL is on and you have no idea when other DTC occur and could be causing unfortunate consequences. So retract my post I will not.
If you did not want VCM I have 2 words for you: Toyota Sienna. I bought the Odyessy because it handles waaay better than the Sienna in all trim and technology levels and am mostly sad that I cannot have AWD. Sienna does. VCM to me is... "ehh whatever". I mean really. It's a Honda. Like it won't go 200k anyway? ...and when it gets there my kids will have destroyed the damn thing too. We've had it 3 months and already my 11 yr old caught his shirt on the rear "Ody" emblem and broke it. My neighbor kid gouged the paint on the pass door with his bike and the first week we had it my wife hit a construction barrel thing in the middle of I-75 at 2am. So now I am de-badged and have seen my body guy 2x and am considering the lower spoiler for the front end to hide a crack in the lower edge of the bumper (which costs more than a grand!! btw) If anything this van is a beast! LONG live the Ody!! I may even name her. lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did any body try to disconnect the oil pressure sensor on Honda Odyssey Touring 2005? It also has i-VTEC engine but a little bit different from 2008 model (which is on a pictures)...

·
Registered
22 Posts
These are pictures of my engine:

IMG_0045.jpg IMG_0049.jpg

I have disconnected a cable. The system shows CEL (check engine light) and VSA light and also says 'VSA system OFF'.
But I don't feel the noticeable idling vibration like before, so VCM is OFF.
It was not an oil pressure sensor, so where could it be?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
VSA is Vehicle Stability Assistance. Don't disable that.
VCM vibrations won't occur until vehicle is fully warmed up so don't conclude anything from a short drive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't want to keep VSA cable disconnected. I want to find the same oil pressure sensor that you've disconnected.
As you can see 2008 and 2005 engines are a bit different... How can I find right cable?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Isn't there a more harmless error you all can trigger? ECO and VCM is disabled with any CEL. So, come up with a more harmess and easier CEL and try that may be?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Isn't there a more harmless error you all can trigger? ECO and VCM is disabled with any CEL. So, come up with a more harmess and easier CEL and try that may be?
Any ideas what to disable?
I will appreciate any help finding 'oil pressure sensor cable' on my i-VTEC 2005 engine.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts