Honda Odyssey Forum banner

181 - 194 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Max, I have 2005 Odyssey Touring with VCM issues. I want to install the muzzler device, and like the variable feature. Do you have one for this plug in fit?
Yes, I can make one for 05. Please PM me directly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I made a few VCM muzzler clones for sale.
The design has variable resistor, instead of fixed. So it can be setup for any value between 0-200 oHm. You need only 80-120 ohm range, but it can be set to 0, instead of removing for
service procedures.
These are only for 2007+ Honda/Acura V6 engines. The 05-06 Ody uses different connector style.
The harness uses OEM style plugs, all connections crimped and soldered. Exposed wires are shrink wrapped and I even used liquid tape to seal it off.
Unlike original design that has multiple connectors, this has the resistor inline, so no need for extra connectors at all.
Everything that applies to VCM Muzzlers 1 and 2 applies to this device as well.
I have made 05-06 Muzzlers few years ago and sold them to group members. Everyone is still using them and still happy (as far as I know).
I have been around this group for a long time and will stand behind the product I sell.

Here is a picture of the product.
View attachment 105345

Price is $70, including USPS shipping. I am in CT, USA, so you get American made product :) with US shipping.
I can accept PayPal, please PM to order.
thanks
Max
Will this work on a 2012 Honda Crosstour?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Hey maxud, thanks for making a good product.

Do you have an opinion on tuning the resistance so that the VCM might come on sometimes vs. never?

For example setting it so it might come on during highway cruising, yet be fully muzzled the rest of the time, with the goal of saving some gas while still sufficiently protecting the engine.

This would probably require some fine tuning for each car / climate / typical driving, but that's exactly what your product excels at.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Hey maxud, thanks for making a good product.

Do you have an opinion on tuning the resistance so that the VCM might come on sometimes vs. never?

For example setting it so it might come on during highway cruising, yet be fully muzzled the rest of the time, with the goal of saving some gas while still sufficiently protecting the engine.

This would probably require some fine tuning for each car / climate / typical driving, but that's exactly what your product excels at.
Unfortunately your specific scenario is impossible with my product. Let me explain.
At the heart of MaxMuzzler is a variable resistor, you can fine tune it to any resistance value between 0-200 ohm, but its value remains static while driving.
The VCM activation temperature is 167F. So, upon reaching that temp and other "right conditions", VCM will activate. If you think about driving scenario, when you are on highway, your car is getting much better air flow, and therefore more efficient cooling, so the temp will be more predictable and most likely lower than in city, slow, traffic driving. In traffic or just driving slow around town, the cooling will be less efficient, and be radiator fan dependent.
As such, in nearly all cases your temps will be higher in slow driving.
How that relates to Muzzler and VCM activation? Exactly the reverse of what your intentions are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey thanks, Maxud, for a great product in your MaxMuzzler. I received it promptly after ordering it and it works 100% as advertised in my 2016 Odyssey EX-L. Looking forward to many problem-free miles with my new CPO Honda.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I installed this VCM Muzzler for about 4 months now.
I guess my experience is bit different than many of the users here.
At first after installing the Muzzler, I got a P0128 code within few days. I was informed that I may have to adjust the dial to reduce the ohm. When I reduced one tick of the dial, I started to have ECO coming back when I'm at ~20mph.
At higher speed, ECO did not pop up.

So my opinion is, this device isn't perfect but it does serve its purpose to some degree.
If I raise the dial to original Ohm, the p0128 code came back on. So I'm stuck in the middle.
I will just leave the device on and only let the ECO come on when low speed.
Little helpful is better for the engine than not helpful (or even harmful to some degree) by the VCM.

(edit: I changed my thermostat as well. But issue stayed the same)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I installed this VCM Muzzler for about 4 months now.
I guess my experience is bit different than many of the users here.
At first after installing the Muzzler, I got a P0128 code within few days. I was informed that I may have to adjust the dial to reduce the ohm. When I reduced one tick of the dial, I started to have ECO coming back when I'm at ~20mph.
At higher speed, ECO did not pop up.

So my opinion is, this device isn't perfect but it does serve its purpose to some degree.
If I raise the dial to original Ohm, the p0128 code came back on. So I'm stuck in the middle.
I will just leave the device on and only let the ECO come on when low speed.
Little helpful is better for the engine than not helpful (or even harmful to some degree) by the VCM.
Thank you for your honest feedback. Yes, you are correct, different people experience slightly different results. The device is not perfect in achieving VCM suppression 100% of the time, but
its not advertised as one either. Its a first generation product that utilizes manual adjustment, albeit, better than manual resistor change, but not 100% suppression.
Search the forum for my P0128 thread, where I helped a person with VCM muzzler who kept getting P0128 even at low resistance values.

Please also note that "original" setting is just my best guess what will work for you in your part of country. It is by no means a value that you should worry about, its a starting point for adjustment. Due to various climates, variations in cars' cooling level performance, variations in type and style of driving its impossible to say what will work. Ability to "tune" the ohm setting is what set my device apart, when I started making them.

181 - 194 of 193 Posts