Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about using a VCM Muzzler-type device to override the cylinder-disabling technology. However I read a paper about Honda's dual-mode charging system. The paper said that the alternator goes into a low-charging state to help your battery and your gas mileage, but only once the coolant temp is above 167°F (75°C). I know some of the higher-end muzzlers have a microprocessor controlling them. Does it factor in the alternator? Does it matter? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have never had any problems like that or any problems at all. since I disabled my vcm with the vcmtuner2 had it over 2y .

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
501 Posts
Hmm... if that is the case, then the low-charge mode will not be activated, true. However, this doesn't seem to affect the "lifespan" of the alternator or gas mileage by any complaints we see here. So, I don't know how important this low-charge mode actually is.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
As with all things in life, there are tradeoffs. On one side is slightly better gas mileage, on the other is:

1. Better driving experience - no dropping in and out of VCM.

2. Lower overall running costs - replacing active motor mounts, no burning oil, and not having to rebuild engine.

You decide.

I bought my 2010 EXL in 2015, I muzzled it a few months later, and I've never looked back.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Remember, none of the VCM muzzler devices actually alters the engine operating temperature. The engine operates at its normal operating temperature. The computer just thinks it is cooler and avoids activating VCM. I do not know if this “fooling” would also affect the alternator charging.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
501 Posts
Remember, none of the VCM muzzler devices actually alters the engine operating temperature. The engine operates at its normal operating temperature. The computer just thinks it is cooler and avoids activating VCM. I do not know if this “fooling” would also affect the alternator charging.
Ah, I think you're right. I remember reading there are 2 (or maybe more than 2) temperature sensors, or similar sensors. The one we plug the Muzzler in is for VCM. But, the one that controls fuel/air ratios and whatnot is a different sensor and the fuel/air mix won't be affected since that one knows the car is at full temperature. It's been awhile since I read this so I could be completely off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the dealer 'swore' to my sister that the Muzzler (processor controlled) ruined her battery and that it's 'harmful' to a lil old lady who putts around town.

I think they lie.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Your Honda dealer is telling you BS. They will never admit there is any issue with VCM and they will bash any device that disables VCM.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
448 Posts
Also keep in mind that it only messes with the ECT1 sensor, so things that use the ECT2 sensor or something else would not be affected.

·
Registered
100 Posts
...The paper said that the alternator goes into a low-charging state to help your battery and your gas mileage...
Theory is to improve gas mileage by reducing the load on the engine. Not sure about helping the battery. Lead acid batteries prefer to be kept in a state of charge, in low-charge (or no charge) mode the vehicle is running off of the battery. Still not sure how that helps it.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
501 Posts
Theory is to improve gas mileage by reducing the load on the engine. Not sure about helping the battery. Lead acid batteries prefer to be kept in a state of charge, in low-charge (or no charge) mode the vehicle is running off of the battery. Still not sure how that helps it.
I was thinking the same thing. Reducing load on engine to save gas, sure. But how exactly could this be helping the battery?

Reactions: highvoltage

·
Registered
12,780 Posts
the dealer 'swore' to my sister that the Muzzler (processor controlled) ruined her battery and that it's 'harmful' to a lil old lady who putts around town.

I think they lie.
Even if it did, she got out of there for a couple hundred bucks to have a new battery installed rather than $5K for a new engine.

I've noticed battery life on these vans isn't that great. The original battery didn't last three years. My last battery didn't make it through it's full warranty period and I got a new one for free from Advance Auto. I believe that the computer probably is affected in some way by the 167F or less temp all the time. I have noticed a 50rpm difference in idle speed when the VCMTunerII drops into maintenance mode during idle so desired idle speed from the computer is affected by engine temp from ECT1. I've had a Muzzler of some sort for nearly 100K miles now and the engine still runs as good as the day I bought it brand new.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, that was her experience. lasted 30 mths. They wouldn't warranty. I doubt she keeps the car long enough to get hurt on the VC long term anyway now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts