Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 exl (the fishvan) has been down for over a year. Im pretty sure the problem is at least one of the catalytic converters, and i believe the problem was cause by the vcm. The van makes a clicking/rattling noise that seems cyclic with the engine til about 2600 rpm. Then kinda fades away. I ordered the resistors to do the disable myself (yes i really am that cheap).

The fishvan is the only vehicle i have with a tow hitch, i could really use something with a tow hiych as i need to move a teailer and some materials about 80 miles mostly highway.

My question to the forum is this:
1. If i drive it with the cat in poor condition an i potentially causing harm to components other than the cat? I can get by w/o it til i get a replacement but it would be convenient to have it in service.
2. Does anyone know a way to determine for sure it is the cat? I ordered a infared thermometer to see what temp its reaching as that would be a strong indicator. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, i rarely post as im usually able to lurk around and find the answer i need but i did want forum feedback on the question of running it while cat is crap.

It runs strong, sat for a year and started up did good. I thought it was lifters based on sound but the more i read about the vcm the more it feels like that is the issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
May I ask what makes you think your catalytic converters are having issues? Do you have a check engine light on? A lot of things can cause the rattling sound you described.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,307 Posts
Agree with Dennis... lots of things can make a ratting or clicking noise.

Catalytic converters can become clogged over time. That will result in significantly reduced power.

They can also lose efficiency, but that's more of an issue for passing emissions inspection than actual driveability.

A bad catalytic converter will usually be accompanied by a P0420 or other check engine code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure about a code being thrown and dont have the van here. The noise stopping around 2600 rpms and putting anstethescope to the engine and determining the noise was coming from the bottom of the engine are the main reasons i thinknits the cat. Until resently i thought it was a lifter but the more i read about the vcm the more it seemed like it was the cat. This is the reason for the second question if anyone has a method for isolating the problem or checking the cat.
The van has had the noise as long as i ownednit. At first it was just the first 5 minutes or less when i tirned the van on (4 years ago maybe). It just slowly extended until it was all the time and louder until I decided i shouldnt drive it anymore. Im not 100% sure its bad cat but ive had a similiar thing happen to other vehicles where-in the noise stopped at a certain rpm.
Open to suggestions on testing it, or other suspects for the problem.
I thought it was a separate issue but when i was driving it to take it to my land to park it out of the way it acted like the alternator was dying. I stopped and charged the battery and it got me where inwas going. But now it seems like the alternator is fine (disconnected battery + and it kept running).
The noise is definately coming from low in the engine. I didnt realize at the time i was listening to it theres a cat just below the engine. But that made sense when i started looking into it.
What do you think it might be? And how can i check? Thermometer on the cat was my next step but like i said im open to suggestions.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Could it simply be a heat shield loose and rattling?

Do you hear this sound when the vehicle is stationary and idling in the driveway or while it is moving down the road? Both?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If it is the heat shield, simply install stainless steel band clamps around them to hold in place and stop the ratle. I had to do this to all my heat shields a few years ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think its the heat shield cause when i listened with a stethescope the sound seemed to be from the bottom of the engine. It is both idle and while in motion til about 2600 rpm. Ill check next time im out where the van is. Id live for it to be just a heat shield but i dont think thats it. Ive had that happen on a civic and it doesnt really sound like that.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Okay. Your initial post pointed to the cat converters and they are not at the bottom of the engine. That's why I suggested the heat shields. Now that you have isolated the noise to the bottom of the engine, you can rule out the cats, heats shields, and other exhaust components, and focus on the engine itself.

Reactions: hottossey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably wont get anything done before christmas since the van is about an hour away. I thought the first cat was just behind the bottom of the engine. I would think if it was the cat the noise would transfer. I never was able to pinpoint it just know it was low low low.
Any other suggestions on whay to look for when i make it out. Id like a clear plan since it isnt often ibmake it out to mess with it. The more i can do in 1 trip the better.
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts