Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that between 30 - 45 MPH that the engine seems to make what can best be described as a low rumbling. I was told by the Honda dealer service guys that when the Ody is running on three cylinder via the VCM that the engine is not balanced thereby causing the noise.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Unless the dealer is saying that there is a problem with your van that needs to be corrected, it's complete BS.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I don't know about not being balanced but I've heard/felt a slight difference when the ECO mode light is on
Yes, you can feel it, but not sure if I'd call it rumbling. Also, many owners will tell you it is not noticeable but I guess they got used to it.

The following Honda news room article has some wording that gives away the fact that it is not transparent: "virtually unnoticeable", "minimize the effects" and "further reduce any sound relating to the function of the VCM system". I couldn't find the word "eliminate" anywhere

As a result, the transition between three-, four-, and six-cylinder operation is virtually unnoticeable to the driver.

Active Control Engine Mount (ACM) and Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)

The ACM system is used to minimize the effects of engine vibration as the VCM system switches cylinders on and off. Sensors alert the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to direct two ACM actuators - one positioned at the front and on at the rear of the engine - to move to cancel engine vibration. Inside the interior of the Odyssey, the ANC system works in cooperation with the ACM system to further reduce any sound relating to the function of the VCM system.

Honda Media Newsroom - Odyssey - 2011 Honda Odyssey: Powertrain

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
I am willing to bet that what some of you guys are feeling is the infamous lugging that's on the 3rd gen as well. I know many 2011 folks feel they're special and they are to a certain degree but it wouldn't hurt you guys to go through the rather long lugging/judderig/suttering threads of the prior gen to get a better description of each of the term and symptoms. I sincerely hope none of you have the judder/sutter as that is not good news. Lugging on the other hand is ok if you can bear it.

Some people are more sensitive than others. I am one of those more sensitive folks. People like myself feel the lugging more pronounced and for some, to an untolerable degree. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ours would judder from time to time, always in front of our house, on the way back into its garage. Always at around 20mph while taking a right turn with the VCM engaged. It feels like the VCM wouldn't disengage fast enough and cause a slight judder. Can't reproduce it on purpose though. And I can feel and hear the VCM engagement and disengagement a lot more than our 05. I guess time will tell how long this will last and become a major problem.

·
Banned
728 Posts
My wife has a 2003 4 cyl accord. We bought it before the weather got too cold and didn't notice until a few weeks later that the engine vibrated the car so much at idle in cold weather that it made parts in the interior buzz. It turns out that the engine mounts don't like cold weather, as the problem disappears as soon as the outside temperatures warm up. It was really annoying at first, but now we just dismiss it as part of the character of the car and don't really notice it.

On my morning commute in our new Odyssey, I notice that there are portions of the drive where I can feel some vibration through the front end of the vehicle including the steering wheel. In my opinion that vibration is coming form the road surface. On my relatively short commute (15 minutes), the engine/transmission don't warm up enough to let the VCM operate, so any vibration must be coming form elsewhere.

As with the Accord, I've come to accept this slight (and transient) vibration as part of the character of the vehicle and I try not to let it bother me. Like the clown side mirror (driver's side), if you look for an imperfection it is easy to find (in any vehicle), but if you focus your attention elsewhere, the small stuff doesn't get noticed (well at least not in our lives). :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
My wife has a 2003 4 cyl accord. We bought it before the weather got too cold and didn't notice until a few weeks later that the engine vibrated the car so much at idle in cold weather that it made parts in the interior buzz. It turns out that the engine mounts don't like cold weather, as the problem disappears as soon as the outside temperatures warm up. It was really annoying at first, but now we just dismiss it as part of the character of the car and don't really notice it.

On my morning commute in our new Odyssey, I notice that there are portions of the drive where I can feel some vibration through the front end of the vehicle including the steering wheel. In my opinion that vibration is coming form the road surface. On my relatively short commute (15 minutes), the engine/transmission don't warm up enough to let the VCM operate, so any vibration must be coming form elsewhere.

As with the Accord, I've come to accept this slight (and transient) vibration as part of the character of the vehicle and I try not to let it bother me. Like the clown side mirror (driver's side), if you look for an imperfection it is easy to find (in any vehicle), but if you focus your attention elsewhere, the small stuff doesn't get noticed (well at least not in our lives). :)
Agreed. I've had Luxury cars that cost twice as much as my touring Oddy and they have had their quirks/issues too. It is what it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
New owner need help, slight vibration on seat and steering.

I had my 2011 Touring for 3 weeks and 350 miles on it and it's my first time with Honda :tongue:. I had read all post in here about the vibration on steering, seat and VCM related. But seem like there is no clear answered :mad:.
My Odyssey got slight vibration on seat and steering wheel at about 30 mph and higher, even on highway. When I test drived, I thought the vibration is cause by high psi from tires by factory setting. But now all 4 tires is pecfect at 35 psi, and it problem still exist :huh:.
I never own a Honda before, and this slight vibration is annoying, so I don't know is this normal or not. To you all out there with this problem has been fix yet:DD, or ignore and go on with it :dunno:.
On other note, on city drive, when i let go off my gas, the car is not slight forward like the other car i own before. It just feel like the car is slowing down alot faster than normal car :dunno:.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Welcome to Honda's VCM. Some can feel the VCM adjustments, trasitions, and switching more than others. I can feel it, and I wont say I like it.

And dont confuse this viration and feeling with the dreaded "judder", because thats all together different! "Normal" is not a "judder".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I made appointment next week for dealer to check on my car slight vibration.
About the Grade Logic Control, it's the first time I heard about it. But I don't know it be normal or not, when coasting, it slowdown much faster than normal car, seem like the car is pulling back by something. Hoping the other owner Touring/(Elite) out there experiment the same thing as I am, otherwise it must be something wrong with my car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well I made appointment next week for dealer to check on my car slight vibration.
About the Grade Logic Control, it's the first time I heard about it. But I don't know it be normal or not, when coasting, it slowdown much faster than normal car, seem like the car is pulling back by something. Hoping the other owner Touring/(Elite) out there experiment the same thing as I am, otherwise it must be something wrong with my car.
Honda has been taking advantage of mild (tall gear) engine braking for a long time now, in doing so fuel is cut off 100% when you're off the gas, saving some MPG. (I think everyone does it now)

More detail: When RPM's are over 1500 (or so) and you're off the gas, no fuel is used. You're then coasting with the engine still connected...so to speak...the only thing keeping the engine turning is momentum until you hit the min rev's of around 1500 and gas is needed to keep the engine running. You’ll notice the transition if you watch the tach closely, it blips up and down a little, but you don’t feel it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanked you all for explained what going on in the new Ody. I hope this car will serve our family well until my 2 boys done with high-school(7 yrs from now).
My last SUV(04 Lincoln Aviator) did a very good job without any problem at all, although i mostly used for travel purpose only.
We took a short trips last weekend, all the comfort, tech, and the way it handle is perfect. It just the VCM glitch is kinda take out the fun of driving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello every one. I had 2007 ody and never felt this vibration every one is talking about.
I have 2011 exl and notice the same.
I was wondering is there a way to get in tuch with Honda and ask them to look in to it before we wast our time taking the van to dealer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts