Honda Odyssey Forum banner

VCM Tuner 2 installation question

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BertS 
#1 ·
Just received in my VCM Tuner 2. Installation looks easy. Is there any idle relearn that must be done after I install or is it just plug in and drive it?

#2 ·
Also, I'm a little concerned about disconnecting the battery. My father in law owns a 2012 Odyssey and he says that when you disconnect the battery you have to have a special code to reprogram the radio. Is that something I should be concerned with on my 2015? Any other things I should look out for after installation?

#3 · (Edited)
I don't think you should have to disconnect the battery. You just remove the nut holding the battery cable on the terminal, slip the VCMTuner's power lead on and put the bolt back. Don't pull the cable off the battery post.

There are no other procedures to go through. Follow the instructions carefully and by the time you reach the end you should be ready to shut the hood and drive.

If you do end up disconnecting the battery completely, the newer Odys have done away with security codes on little cards (most likely based on the assumption that the probability that anyone would want to steal one is pretty much zero). You just have to reactivate the audio system, which is outlined on p. 208 of the owners manual.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Audio System Theft Protection*

The audio system is disabled when it is disconnected from the power source, such as
when the battery is disconnected or goes dead. In certain conditions, the system
may display Enter code. If this occurs, reactivate the audio system.

■ Reactivating the audio system
1. Set the power mode to ON.
2. Turn on the audio system.
3. Press and hold the audio system power button for more than two seconds.
The audio system is reactivated when the audio control unit establishes a
connection with the vehicle control unit. If the control unit fails to recognize
the audio unit, you must go to a dealer and have the audio unit checked.

Reactions: Bryan9451
#5 ·
You could, or just zip tie them out of the way. I don't think they're normally powered.

#6 ·
I didn't have to disconnect the battery cables when I installed the VCM tuner. I replaced the battery a couple months back on our 2015 and couldn't locate the security code for the radio (purchased the van used, the code was nowhere to be found). After I started the van, the radio must have made contact with the VCU and reactivated the radio without me touching a thing (one less visit to the Honda dealer!).

#7 ·
on our 2015 and couldn't locate the security code for the radio
There is no code for the 2014+ vans. They are normally self-registering when power is re-applied to the van, but otherwise pressing and holding the radio power button is all that is needed (I think).

-Charlie

#8 ·
Just disconnecting the battery does not require a full idle relearn procedure anymore. Replacing components that reset the engine management systems do. Even then it is not hard and easy to google. It just involves revving the engine to 3000 with everything off (radio, A/C, interior lights,etc) until the radiator fan comes on. Then let it sit and idle for 5 minutes. The newer vans get reset with a scan tool, not just disconnecting the battery apparently.

The most important thing to keep in mind when installing any VCM muzzling device is to do so with the engine cold!

#9 ·
@Bryan9451 you might be interested in the VCMTUNER II thread I started:

https://www.odyclub.com/threads/vcmtuner-ii.351897/

As far as your question, I just left the green and blue wires hanging as the terminals are covered with plastic. I also did not remove the battery cable. It is mentioned in the thread, but you'll just want to follow the section in the manual to ensure you don't trigger a code.

With my '07 I've replaced batteries myself, and while I had to enter codes in the radio and the Nav system, I never did an idle relearn and it runs great.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.