Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just installed the VCM tuner 2 but I seem to be having 2 problems. The idle seems a bit rougher than it was pre-VCM (can feel it more through the pedal) and the second is when I lightly accelerate the revs seem to go up then come back down with constant gas pedal pressure. It is very minimal though so I was just wondering if anyone else had these same issues and it is normal or if there is some sort of break in period.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,308 Posts
I'd try removing it temporarily to see if the issue goes away. If it does, it's likely an issue with the device and I'd email them about it. If not, there could be an issue elsewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd try removing it temporarily to see if the issue goes away. If it does, it's likely an issue with the device and I'd email them about it. If not, there could be an issue elsewhere.
Thank you, it is not a big issue but rather be safe than sorry right lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Off topic but can someone describe these tranny "judders" to me. My transmission seems fine to me but maybe it could be improved if I got the software update. Do you guys recommend it?

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
Yes I think it is worth it. I did not even notice it until I muzzled. (Using the original VCMUZZLER with the dial)
I was in a residential area, going slow and started uphill. Judder is exactly how I would describe it.

How many miles on your 2014? What is your trans fluid change history?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I think it is worth it. I did not even notice it until I muzzled. (Using the original VCMUZZLER with the dial)
I was in a residential area, going slow and started uphill. Judder is exactly how I would describe it.

How many miles on your 2014? What is your trans fluid change history?
Did you get the transmission software update?
Mine has 62k but i’m not sure of the trans fluid history since the car was just passed down to me and the service records don’t indicate trans fluid changes.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
At 62k you are down 2 normal drain & fills. Around here we like to do that every other oil change (every 15k)

Yes I did get the software update. With only one drain & fill, because my 2015 has under 30k.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At 62k you are down 2 normal drain & fills. Around here we like to do that every other oil change (every 15k)

Yes I did get the software update. With only one drain & fill, because my 2015 has under 30k.
So I should get the software and then drain and film twice?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't think the order matters, but you only need to film it once. And BTW, post the video. (JK)

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
I think you will have to pay for one drain & fill at a dealer just to get the software update. When you say you have service records, are they from a dealer? If they are, and you can get to that dealer, they may do the entire service bulletin for free. Otherwise, yes, you will want to do a couple more drain & fills to get caught up. Here is a copy of that TSB:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you will have to pay for one drain & fill at a dealer just to get the software update. When you say you have service records, are they from a dealer? If they are, and you can get to that dealer, they may do the entire service bulletin for free. Otherwise, yes, you will want to do a couple more drain & fills to get caught up. Here is a copy of that TSB:

The records I have were the ones I pulled off the Honda Owners website. I don’t have any problem with doing service and would rather do it myself actually. How much is the update with the drain?

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
Technically, performing the TSB is covered by extended warranty to 80,000 miles. My dealer would not do the whole 3x drain & fill because of the low miles And being due for a regular service. I think it was between $120 & $140.
Will look it up later.
Remember folks, the software update not only addresses the judder and shifting, but keeps the fluid from deteriorating prematurely.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Technically, performing the TSB is covered by extended warranty to 80,000 miles. My dealer would not do the whole 3x drain & fill because of the low miles And being due for a regular service. I think it was between $120 & $140.
Will look it up later.
Remember folks, the software update not only addresses the judder and shifting, but keeps the fluid from deteriorating prematurely.
I am thinking of just paying to have my dealer do the software update. I bought the van last spring and it had 20k on it. I knew from the records it had not had a trans service. I did a fluid change myself and was planing on doing every other oil change like I did my 06. Now at 24k I get a very light shudder at times but probably not as bad as some. I took it in and the dealer cannot get it to shudder. Three people drove it. They told me they can't update or do the TSB if they can't record it. So, I either I have to let the fluid go to the point that it gets very noticeable or probably just pay them to update it. I was planning on doing the next fluid change at around 30k anyways, which would be about the timing of when Honda would probably be saying it should be done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am thinking of just paying to have my dealer do the software update. I bought the van last spring and it had 20k on it. I knew from the records it had not had a trans service. I did a fluid change myself and was planing on doing every other oil change like I did my 06. Now at 24k I get a very light shudder at times but probably not as bad as some. I took it in and the dealer cannot get it to shudder. Three people drove it. They told me they can't update or do the TSB if they can't record it. So, I either I have to let the fluid go to the point that it gets very noticeable or probably just pay them to update it. I was planning on doing the next fluid change at around 30k anyways, which would be about the timing of when Honda would probably be saying it should be done.
I feel like my ody might not have the judder problem. Can you describe when it happens and if it’s audibly noticeable or just based on how the car feels?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I feel like my ody might not have the judder problem. Can you describe when it happens and if it’s audibly noticeable or just based on how the car feels?
Mine is smooth most of the time but when I have noticed it are situations where I am going up a slight incline and just keeping a light throttle to maintain my speed or using cruise on the highway, I can feel a vibration, no audible. Anywhere from a 35-60mph range I have noticed it. Just not a constant every time I drive it. I am sure I did help it by changing the fluid right after I got it. I just didn't know what I was looking for since I just got the van. Had I seen about the TSB sooner I would have waited a little bit. But sounds like there are some other benefits to getting the software update done. I don't really care about the fluid change part I just want the software updated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine is smooth most of the time but when I have noticed it are situations where I am going up a slight incline and just keeping a light throttle to maintain my speed or using cruise on the highway, I can feel a vibration, no audible. Anywhere from a 35-60mph range I have noticed it. Just not a constant every time I drive it. I am sure I did help it by changing the fluid right after I got it. I just didn't know what I was looking for since I just got the van. Had I seen about the TSB sooner I would have waited a little bit. But sounds like there are some other benefits to getting the software update done. I don't really care about the fluid change part I just want the software updated.
Do you know if the dealer has to find evidence of the judder? Also, can the software update harm the car at all?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you know if the dealer has to find evidence of the judder? Also, can the software update harm the car at all?
I just took it in last week and left it a couple of days for them to drive. They told me two techs and the manger drove it and could not get it to shudder but they were very well aware of the TSB and issue of the vans. They said that unfortunately it has to be recorded by their computer they have plugged in to "catch it" so warranty will pay.

I don't think it will cause any harm. It sounds like it would only be helpful because the TSB says it causes the fluid to maintain temps to not deteriorate which is causing the shudder. Maybe someone else will comment if there are other benefits as change in shift patterns with the update.

Reactions: chrisholstine

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just took it in last week and left it a couple of days for them to drive. They told me two techs and the manger drove it and could not get it to shudder but they were very well aware of the TSB and issue of the vans. They said that unfortunately it has to be recorded by their computer they have plugged in to "catch it" so warranty will pay.

I don't think it will cause any harm. It sounds like it would only be helpful because the TSB says it causes the fluid to maintain temps to not deteriorate which is causing the shudder. Maybe someone else will comment if there are other benefits as change in shift patterns with the update.
Ok, seems like something to get done if it begins to get bad, will still drain fluid tho. Thanks

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
I think that once you muzzle, the weird transmission behavior becomes more noticeable. I too first felt it going up a hill slowly, in a residential area. The next time was getting off a freeway onto a long crowded ramp and holding a steady speed of somewhere between 25 and 35 MPH. Judder describes it quite well.
one thing I now notice, after the update, is my van coasts better. This is something I found disconcerting after putting
250k on my 2002. (Also drove my wife's 2003 we just got rid of at over 309k)

Speaking of my wife, she now has a 2016 Acura RDX with the same engine/trans as our Odysseys and driving it this weekend I noticed how it seems to abruptly downshift when slowing down. I don't think it has had the trans software yet.

The combo of muzzle, software, and fresh fluid has made my van very smooth and predictable. Totally worth it for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts