Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think that once you muzzle, the weird transmission behavior becomes more noticeable. I too first felt it going up a hill slowly, in a residential area. The next time was getting off a freeway onto a long crowded ramp and holding a steady speed of somewhere between 25 and 35 MPH. Judder describes it quite well.
one thing I now notice, after the update, is my van coasts better. This is something I found disconcerting after putting
250k on my 2002. (Also drove my wife's 2003 we just got rid of at over 309k)

Speaking of my wife, she now has a 2016 Acura RDX with the same engine/trans as our Odysseys and driving it this weekend I noticed how it seems to abruptly downshift when slowing down. I don't think it has had the trans software yet.

The combo of muzzle, software, and fresh fluid has made my van very smooth and predictable. Totally worth it for me.
Noticed it today, was coming to a stop when the light turned green, accelerated slightly and the engine did that thing where u could hear the revs go up slightly and then the transmission juddered. Seems very tough to get it to reproduce it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think that once you muzzle, the weird transmission behavior becomes more noticeable. I too first felt it going up a hill slowly, in a residential area. The next time was getting off a freeway onto a long crowded ramp and holding a steady speed of somewhere between 25 and 35 MPH. Judder describes it quite well.
one thing I now notice, after the update, is my van coasts better. This is something I found disconcerting after putting
250k on my 2002. (Also drove my wife's 2003 we just got rid of at over 309k)

Speaking of my wife, she now has a 2016 Acura RDX with the same engine/trans as our Odysseys and driving it this weekend I noticed how it seems to abruptly downshift when slowing down. I don't think it has had the trans software yet.

The combo of muzzle, software, and fresh fluid has made my van very smooth and predictable. Totally worth it for me.
Thanks for reaffirming that it would be worth getting the software update done even if I have to pay for it. I will probably go until 30k before my next fluid change and monitor it then. Might try to see if I can get them to look at it again and if they can't get it to act up I will just ask them to update it and do my single drain and fill and keep on with a happy transmission service interval.

Reactions: chrisholstine

·
Registered
221 Posts
Noticed it today, was coming to a stop when the light turned green, accelerated slightly and the engine did that thing where u could hear the revs go up slightly and then the transmission juddered. Seems very tough to get it to reproduce it.
Sounds like you have noticed it now. Yes, it doesn't do it all the time, and of course the longer the fluid goes the worse it gets. I can't recall if you said your van had had a fluid change yet or not. But now that you have noticed it you can pay attention and take it in to at least have them check it out. It shouldn't cost anything. Just make sure you mention the TSB.

Reactions: chrisholstine

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sounds like you have noticed it now. Yes, it doesn't do it all the time, and of course the longer the fluid goes the worse it gets. I can't recall if you said your van had had a fluid change yet or not. But now that you have noticed it you can pay attention and take it in to at least have them check it out. It shouldn't cost anything. Just make sure you mention the TSB.
Thank you, will bring it in within the next month. I have seen some talk about draining it 3x. Is that all at the same time like a flush or does it just mean 3x over the life of the car. Also, what does TSB stand for? Transmission Software Build?

·
Registered
14,588 Posts
Technical Service Bulletin
The normal service on a Honda automatic is a drain & refill. This replaces about 1/3 of the fluid. Honda used to recommend this every 45k. Now it is every 30k (service code 3 along with others once the oil life reaches 15%)
Those of us who had those 2nd generation Odysseys with 4 speed & 5 speed transmissions that were failing, found that a 15k drain & fill interval (every other oil change based on a 7500 mile interval) kept the trans alive.

The TSB calls for a complete "flush" replacing almost all the fluid. As outlined in that bulletin, that consists of doing
a drain & fill 3 times with simulated driving in between. NEVER let a lube place use a machine to flush a Honda automatic!!!
To do this "flush" DYI, you might do a drain & fill on three weekends. You must actually drive through all the gears and have the torque converter lock up. Around the block will not cut it. Neither will disconnecting a trans cooler line and pumping fluid while idling while filling at the same time. That does not get fluid from the internal places you need to get it out of. The whole process is a matter of dilution and renewing chemicals that have broken down in the spent fluid.

I think with low miles, the software update and a single fluid drain & fill are adequate. Just know that changing it a couple more times in the near future is still wise. And then keep up with that service. Completely normal for a Honda. But almost never done on your dad's Chevy. That's why so many completely neglect this service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Technical Service Bulletin
The normal service on a Honda automatic is a drain & refill. This replaces about 1/3 of the fluid. Honda used to recommend this every 45k. Now it is every 30k (service code 3 along with others once the oil life reaches 15%)
Those of us who had those 2nd generation Odysseys with 4 speed & 5 speed transmissions that were failing, found that a 15k drain & fill interval (every other oil change based on a 7500 mile interval) kept the trans alive.

The TSB calls for a complete "flush" replacing almost all the fluid. As outlined in that bulletin, that consists of doing
a drain & fill 3 times with simulated driving in between. NEVER let a lube place use a machine to flush a Honda automatic!!!
To do this "flush" DYI, you might do a drain & fill on three weekends. You must actually drive through all the gears and have the torque converter lock up. Around the block will not cut it. Neither will disconnecting a trans cooler line and pumping fluid while idling while filling at the same time. That does not get fluid from the internal places you need to get it out of. The whole process is a matter of dilution and renewing chemicals that have broken down in the spent fluid.

I think with low miles, the software update and a single fluid drain & fill are adequate. Just know that changing it a couple more times in the near future is still wise. And then keep up with that service. Completely normal for a Honda. But almost never done on your dad's Chevy. That's why so many completely neglect this service.
Thanks Egads,
What interval do you recommend for changing the fluid on the 4th gen? 7500?

·
Registered
14,588 Posts
I think the normal 30k interval is probably OK for a trans that has had the software and a full fluid change. Please note the qualifiers in that sentence. If you are behind on fluid changes, then every oil change for the next three is what needs doing. The service advisor and I went over this when I had mine in. He stressed that higher miles and neglect would make him try for the full change. He did not feel it was necessary with my low miles. (still under 30k)

For your van, at over 60k, getting the software and fresh fluid is wise. Like I think I already said, if that service history is with a Honda dealer you can still use geographically, I would take it in and try to get them to do the TSB. The bulletin says it can be covered until 80k. But that is up to the dealer and that often has to do with how much service you have had with them. I would be prepared to pay for at least a drain & fill just to get the software. Who knows, they may cover it when you pick it up. If they do not know you or the car, they will want you to be paying for something.

now there are folks who haul heavy loads, drive aggressively, or tow who may find it wise to change the fluid more often, like every other oil change.

By the way, that oil life monitor is real. You can go by it. Once you reach 15%, the display will default to service due with a letter and numbers for what service that is. There is also a picture of a wrench. That is different than a check engine light. That is a picture of an engine and should never be ignored. Seeing that means there is a code set.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I think the normal 30k interval is probably OK for a trans that has had the software and a full fluid change. Please note the qualifiers in that sentence. If you are behind on fluid changes, then every oil change for the next three is what needs doing. The service advisor and I went over this when I had mine in. He stressed that higher miles and neglect would make him try for the full change. He did not feel it was necessary with my low miles. (still under 30k)

For your van, at over 60k, getting the software and fresh fluid is wise. Like I think I already said, if that service history is with a Honda dealer you can still use geographically, I would take it in and try to get them to do the TSB. The bulletin says it can be covered until 80k. But that is up to the dealer and that often has to do with how much service you have had with them. I would be prepared to pay for at least a drain & fill just to get the software. Who knows, they may cover it when you pick it up. If they do not know you or the car, they will want you to be paying for something.

now there are folks who haul heavy loads, drive aggressively, or tow who may find it wise to change the fluid more often, like every other oil change.

By the way, that oil life monitor is real. You can go by it. Once you reach 15%, the display will default to service due with a letter and numbers for what service that is. There is also a picture of a wrench. That is different than a check engine light. That is a picture of an engine and should never be ignored. Seeing that means there is a code set.
Alright, will definitely go within the month to get that done. Thanks egads.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts