Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an Alpine VCR to go into our EXL-RES so I can play tapes and DVD's. It wont fit cleanly under the front seats without protruding onto the front floor mat by an inch or so, so my thought was to install it under the 2nd row seat behind the driver. That was until I read the following the in the manual:
DO NOT EXPOSE THE UNIT TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT.....OR OTHER PLACES WHERE THE TEMPERATURE BECOMES ABNORMALLY HIGH, SUCH AS DIRECTLY IN THE PATH OF HOT AIR FROM THE HEATER VENT."

Am I being paranoid about putting it about 1.5 to 2 feet away from that heater vent under the front seats? My concerns are both humidity and temperature. The unit has a moisture sensor and on board heater to burn any humidity on the heads once the ignition is turned on, but I would think the heat from the heater is not very humid, and the manual states the units operating temperature is 32f to 104F and in less than 80% humidity.

Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts or ideas about this location or another? Im not so worried about access to the unit since it came with a 12ft cord that is a remote "eye" to point the remote at and there is plenty of wire for both the power and video to put it just about anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Though I've no personal experience with this particular problem, I don't see it as being an issue. The thing that doesn't make sense is that when you use the heater, it will be abnormally COLD. And your climate control will shut the heater down when the cabin temp reaches a comfortable level. My opinion is that high temperature won't be an issue at all.

Now in terms of humidity, well, the hot air from the heat vent, if not run through the compressor first, could generate condensation, yes. But I doubt this will become a problem, esp. seeing the unit DOES have a moisture sensor.

Growing up in Houston myself, and knowing the climate, I think you should worry more about mid day use in the 100+ temps with 100% humidity. Now that's a TOUGH environment.

Having said all that, I've mounted amps, CD changers, processors, eqs, etc.. under car seats, right next to heating vents. I've never experienced a single problem.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts-after looking long and hard at the vents and the distance- I dont think it will be an issue either. Now if my Helm manual would just get I could start removing some trim panels to run the wiring

·
Registered
122 Posts
Jeff Vennitti Odyssey's VCR is located in the same location that you wanted to place yours. I bought a the JVC KZV10 VCR for $275.00 delivered (was $75.00 less than Alpine online and records too) and I plan to install in the same place on my 02 MB EXL-RES.

Don't worry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts