Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We generally only take one or two long trips a year, so having a video system in the van all the time is overkill for us (we don't want to be conned into putting in a video for the 5 minute trip to Wal-Mart, either). I was wondering about buying a cheap, small VCR that I can use at home, but stick in the van in combination with a small TV. I have had trouble with TV/VCR's in the past - the vcr part always seems to go out first. With VCR's so cheap ($50), they have become almost disposable.

It seems to me that setting a VCR on its side or back, they way they are in some generic van console entertainment systems you can buy, would make changing tapes much easier. Can a VCR go on its side or back? What about overheating? Why doesn't a VCR completely enclosed in a van console overheat? I would make some kind of custom console in which to put the VCR and TV, along the lines of a commercially available one, but make the components removable for use in the house. Any ideas on the subject?

·
Registered
130 Posts
We'd like to do the same thing. (Where can you buy a little VCR or VCP for $50.? RadioShack had one for $99.) And have you found a 7" color TV? I think 9" is a little too large, but 5" is too small. We returned our combo unit of VCR-9"TV because we just couldn't find a decent place to view it.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem putting a VCR on its side or back. VCRs in general are pretty low power consumption devices.

I might worry about a custom console wrapped around the VCR a little, but you could easily wire a small 12V fan to cool the VCR to take care of that.

My 2 cents.
-SJ

p.s.- if you want to use a cooling fan, have it blow on the power supply; that's the hottest component in the box.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found this, but couldn't find any measurements. Is the area between seats average minivan or smaller? This looks like a good deal. I don't want a permanent video system but my 9inch combo doesn't fit. I took it to a friends Ody. It was a nogo

·
Registered
368 Posts
At $689, its not cheap and not necessarily the best or only way to go.

I got the following package:

Jensen flip down lcd 6.8" @ ubid $274.00;
Sony 12 vcp on ebay $108.00;
FM Modulator $ 39.00;
Add a circuit $ 5.00;
Amplified tv antenna from cartoys$ 50.00;
Misc stuff/wire, etc $ 25.00
Total price $501.00

Jensen installed on headliner out of way. Set vcr between front seats, or under passenger or driver's seat (your preference), remove vcp when not in use. Can sometimes get tv when in strong signal areas. Seems like a lot less expensive package, cleaner install. Plays through car audio system, can direct speakers to rear of car with fader control, easier to see the screen up on the headliner and not on the floor, don't need to remove the flip up tray table between the two front seats, don't have the tv/vcr console taking up space between the front seats.

We previously used the costco tv/vcr between the front seats in our chrysler t&c, but it would not fit between front seats in the ody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts