Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our van for less than a week, and the other day while driving home we had the air conditioner on. All the sudden we started seeing this hazy smoke come pouring out of the vents in the front. Could not get rid of it, not even turning off the air conditioning got totally rid of it, there was still a little coming out. And the amount was proportionate to the rpm's of the engine. The faster we went the more that came out. It is really weird!

The smoke dissipates quickly, little or not smell at all, there is no residue, no moisture really. Anyone have the issue? What is it?

Here is a link to a video showing what I'm talking about: Vent Smoke

It is from my iPhone, so it's a .mov file I think.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Is it smoke for sure, does it smell like smoke?

I recall hearing about a Honda tsb for powder/dust coming out of the vents. Not sure if for an Ody though. :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
it is not smoke~

it is condensation of hot air from outside entering cold a/c coil inside of ody..

i bet you were letting air from outside instead of recirculating it. (next time press recirculating button and smoke will disappear)

I had similar experience with my old accord..

first i thought my car was on *fire*...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mjody said:
Is it smoke for sure, does it smell like smoke?

I recall hearing about a Honda tsb for powder/dust coming out of the vents. Not sure if for an Ody though. :confused:
Sure doesn't seem to be dust, it go away very quickly..and didn't seem to settle on anything like dust would. Does not smell like smoke at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
faithfultojc said:
it is not smoke~

it is condensation of hot air from outside entering cold a/c coil inside of ody..

i bet you were letting air from outside instead of recirculating it. (next time press recirculating button and smoke will disappear)

I had similar experience with my old accord..

first i thought my car was on *fire*...
It really seems like condensation, but it wasn't "wet' at all if you hold your hand up to it...and it wasn't really collecting on the louvers like you think it would. And I believe we had it on AUTO which automatically recirculates the air. But I'm going to watch it tonight and if it does it again, check the recirculate button to be sure it's on before freaking out anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: We drove it quite a bit this weekend and have determined that this must be condensation. When we have the air recirculating, there is nothing coming out of the vent other than really cold air.

When we allow outside air in, it immediately starts to smoke or condense I guess. I've never had a vehicle do this...is this normal? Just seems strange to me. Guess there isn't any harm in it, but would be nice to know if we have an issue or if this is just the way it's going to be.

Thanks guys for your input.

·
Registered
94 Posts
russ668 said:
Update: We drove it quite a bit this weekend and have determined that this must be condensation. When we have the air recirculating, there is nothing coming out of the vent other than really cold air.

When we allow outside air in, it immediately starts to smoke or condense I guess. I've never had a vehicle do this...is this normal? Just seems strange to me. Guess there isn't any harm in it, but would be nice to know if we have an issue or if this is just the way it's going to be.

Every Honda I have owned has done it...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
russ668 said:

Don't worry about it, my '06 does the same thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts