Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Touring 36K miles; bought at 16K miles. On original Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires (manufactured week 23 year 2014) so age wise it is time to replace but the rear ones have lot of tread left and both have even and similar wear. The front on
es had similar wear but a bit uneven before last winter which Is most likely due to alignment issues (it was like 5/32 left). Didn’t do any alignment to address the problem.

This week I noticed very unusual wear on front tires - passenger side is almost like bald with very little groove to see, driver side has some grooves and tread left. I am going to replace the tires and do an alignment anyway but would like to know from experts if there is any suspension component that did wear out prematurely which could have caused this it would the alignment alone may fix it. I started feeling a bit of vibration on steering wheel when I noticed the uneven wear but not before. Saw some articles on kingpin being the cause of such thing but didn’t exactly show such an uneven wear on just one tire going bald.

Was driving on gravel roads for 6 months, only on weekends for about 8 miles per week (dropping off kids at an indoor court for practice). Never driven on gravel roads before last winter. This is the only difference in driving pattern I can think of so far. Could this have contributed to the issue? If so, in what way?

Understanding the root cause would help me avoid the same problem after replacing the tires and needing to do another replacement quickly.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Banned
279 Posts
2015 Touring 36K miles; bought at 16K miles. On original Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires (manufactured week 23 year 2014) so age wise it is time to replace but the rear ones have lot of tread left and both have even and similar wear. The front on
es had similar wear but a bit uneven before last winter which Is most likely due to alignment issues (it was like 5/32 left). Didn’t do any alignment to address the problem.

This week I noticed very unusual wear on front tires - passenger side is almost like bald with very little groove to see, driver side has some grooves and tread left. I am going to replace the tires and do an alignment anyway but would like to know from experts if there is any suspension component that did wear out prematurely which could have caused this it would the alignment alone may fix it. I started feeling a bit of vibration on steering wheel when I noticed the uneven wear but not before. Saw some articles on kingpin being the cause of such thing but didn’t exactly show such an uneven wear on just one tire going bald.

Was driving on gravel roads for 6 months, only on weekends for about 8 miles per week (dropping off kids at an indoor court for practice). Never driven on gravel roads before last winter. This is the only difference in driving pattern I can think of so far. Could this have contributed to the issue? If so, in what way?

Understanding the root cause would help me avoid the same problem after replacing the tires and needing to do another replacement quickly.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

View attachment 169083

View attachment 169086

View attachment 169087
View attachment 169089
The tires were not rotated, balanced every 3-6k miles, and front end wasn't aligned every two years. I have the same exact tires, but will get close to 60k miles distance from them. Also, tires must be inflated to spec on door jamb, 33#, once per month, religiously. We all do this once-in-a-while, it's no biggie. Just try to take care of the next set. Been there, aloha! [even your xv4's with some tread left may be no good at stopping in the wet, so you have the old 2 tire replace vs 4 tire replace decision, if you continue to maintain this way, just get two tires, if you're gonna become a 'tire guy.' buy all 4 with alignment, & maintain. it's a boring life, tires. oh, to choose new tires cross reference consumer reports with tire rack, don't listen to anybody about your tire choice]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True that I didn’t do any rotation or alignment during past 3 years of ownership and don’t think previous owner did it too.
My wife drives mostly and she doesn’t corner hard. Neither I do.

Is front alignment good enough on Ody?
Is it ok to replace just the worn out fronts since rears have plenty of tread left even though they are 7+ years old?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Many variables here IMO. You’ve owned the car for 3 years and put 20K miles on, so your unlikely doing regular highway driving. Do you live in the snow belt? If not and rare high speed driving, and if no evidence of rubber deterioration then maybe just 2 tires and a 4 wheel alignment. But snow or highway driving, particularly on wet roads and I would vote for 4 new tires.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
If you're getting an alignment, just go the distance and do it on all 4 wheels. Can't put a price on what's keeping your wheels on the ground.

And yeah, I'd be thrilled to get 36k out of tires on a minivan. Minivans eat tires. My last set got around 25k.

Reactions: midwestmeg

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,974 Posts
Is front alignment good enough on Ody?
Rear is toe only for adjustment. Get all 4 done. The front is likely slightly toed in, based on the wear. Also looks like they were slightly underinflated. I like to run the van tires in the 35-38psi range - it will ride a bit rougher but will have better MPG, grip and tire life. You can safely run up to the "max pressure" shown on the sidewall of the tire (that's the pressure they are supposed to be at for max load capacity), but above ~40psi doesn't gain much MPG/grip/life but does increase harshness a lot.

I wouldn't call what you saw severely uneven though. That's only a 1/32" or 1/16" difference in-to-out - look at those wear bars. Also no feathering or other poor wear patterns. A couple tire rotations over the last few years and you would even see the wear difference.

Rotate every 5k (or every oil change, whatever). Don't worry about re-balancing unless you get highway shake. Alignment every 30k or 60k or whatever (or when somebody smacks a curb...).

-Charlie

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I typically keep the pressure at 35psi and check monthly to top it off if needed. Never tried around 38 so will see it on next set.

Thanks for all inputs. It is comforting to know it is due to rotation, alignment and nothing out of ordinary. Off to changing the tires and an alignment now.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
Do you use regular air in your tires? I usually fill my tires around 37 or 38 depending on season with nitrogen from Costco and although I still check it regularly, most of the time the pressure has hardly dropped at all and if it has it's usually 1psi at most.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
FYI, If your tires were purchased at Discount Tire and they worn down to 3/32 before they should...... they will give you a warranty adjustment...... maybe that's because I pay for their warranty.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
FYI, If your tires were purchased at Discount Tire and they worn down to 3/32 before they should...... they will give you a warranty adjustment...... maybe that's because I pay for their warranty.
I tried something similar with my Costco tires but then they came back with the uneven wear card, and the warranty is voided if there is uneven wear due to poor alignment.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
2,974 Posts
Do you use regular air in your tires? I usually fill my tires around 37 or 38 depending on season with nitrogen from Costco and although I still check it regularly, most of the time the pressure has hardly dropped at all and if it has it's usually 1psi at most.
You do know that air is already around 78% nitrogen, right? It is a very small difference overall in performance between nitrogen only and regular air inflation - and that is totally mitigated by checking tire pressures regularly. Go for it if its free, but never pay for it...

-Charlie

Reactions: viper74656

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
You do know that air is already around 78% nitrogen, right? It is a very small difference overall in performance between nitrogen only and regular air inflation - and that is totally mitigated by checking tire pressures regularly. Go for it if its free, but never pay for it...

-Charlie
Yeah, I'm not paying for it. Costco perk.

And that's not to say I haven't noticed a clear difference between using air and nitrogen. Definitely a very noticeable difference.

Reactions: riverman

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fronts have been toed out slightly which is spec and cornering has taken its toll. I’d be willing to bet the alignment is darned near in spec all around which is a surprise in these vans. The rear is weird with that little wear area in the second block of the rear DS tire… almost as if something got caught in the wheel well and rubbed it for a period of time. Sometimes that can be indicative of separation, so I’d suggest an immediate replacement of all four.

The $150 off for a set of 4 brand name tires from any major chain is likely going to be your best bet. Sometimes you can bundle a lifetime alignment with tires from Firestone or a similar shop and get 0% financing if you get their credit card. It’s a good deal if you can resist their overpriced fuel system treatment and cabin air filter offers .

Rotation, inflation, and periodic alignment checks are critical for these vans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,447 Posts
I learned my lesson with lifetime and X-year alignment packages a long time ago. Never again.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
428 Posts
At 7 years old, those rear tires are on their last legs. I can see cracks in the tread in the photos. I would start saving now to replace them before the tread is gone. Make sure there are no cracks in the sidewall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts