Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started noticing a vibraiton in my 2001 Odyssey when I gradually accelerated to about 40 mph. It would come in between 38 to 42 and usually goes away at 45. It got worse as time has gone by and I can get it to occur at 20 mph. If I accelerate through these speeds I do not feel it. I had broken engine mounts so I replaced all the engine mounts. Also replaced all control arm bushings and transmission mounts. Flushed the transmission thinking it was a slipping torque converter. Also, swapped my wheels with my friends' same year odyssey. Nothing has resolved the issue. I looked at the top of the strut tower and do not notice anything that would indicate a worn bushing. Saw a post that someone was getting a vibration and they replaced their O2 sensors. I do not have any warning lights on. Any help would be great as I am about to bring it to the Honda dealer and I hate doing that.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I am thinking the EGR valve and ports clogging. Did you have this repair done in the past?

There is an Extended Waranty on the EGR system for our model year but you are past the time constraint. If this is the problem, request "goodwill" on this repair and see what they say.

Check out the link in my signature line below for info on our 2001s...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little update. I installed new bushings on the sway bar and the clunking noise has gone away but not the vibration. I jacked up the right front wheel off the ground while the left was on the ground. I started the car and turned the TCS off. Ran to 50 mph and felt vibration. Did the same with the left side and noticed the vibration was worse. I am thinking because there is no load I can rule out the bearing but am thinking left front CV shaft. Not sure if I am getting symptoms that the EGR valve is indicating but I like your link and thoughts. Would you agree with my assessment?

·
Registered
529 Posts
have you put on new wheels lately?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swapped wheels with a friend who has a 2002 Odyssey and still had the problem. His wheels were fine on his vehicle. Tonight I performed the EGR service except I did not replace the EGR valve. I took the intake manifold off and noticed the port was almost clogged. Cleaned everything and still have the vibration. Jacked up each side individually again and had my wife accelerate through speeds up to 60. Noticed the left side wheel moving a lot around 30 mph and my wife said she could hear it inside pretty bad. Thinking that since the wheel is off the ground then there is no load on the bearing so can rule that out. Going to swap the halfshaft tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I troubleshot it to the worst nightmare. When I put the trans into D3 rather than D4 I don't get the vibration. I think based on what I read that it may be torque converter shudder. Brought it to Honda to get a flush but they don't do a flush. Have a friend that my do it to see if that fixes it. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Instead od a flush, do a 3 times drain and fill of Honda ATF Z-1 with a short drive in between D&Fs. A flush may stir up debris making things worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we did a flush through a friend who is a mechanic and agreed to do it. I used Valvoline Max LIfe ATF, which is Honda compatible. The vibration is gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a '02 Ody with 115K. Recently, I noticed symptoms are similar to EGR TSB. I took it to the dealer where I have my car serviced regularly. He confirmed it is an EGR valve issue. He contacted Honda USA on my request and the "Good will" was declined.

So, I either pay him $458+tax or do it myself. I am not a handyman and never take an engine apart. But I am an engineer and have some general sense working on a car.

I read the TSB and know that I need a couple of gaskets and a new valve. I need to take the throttle body off, clean the EGR port with an 8mm drill bit, flush the body inside with a garden hose and clean water. How hard is it to take the throttle body off? For those who did the EGR port cleaning and valve replacement job yourself, how easy or hard is it? How long does it take? If it is too hard or have a great chance to break something else, I would rather pay the dealer to do it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
On youtube there is a great video on this for 2000 odyssey. I have not done it either but that video gives me hope that I could do it if I have to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts