Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Odyssey, 120k mi

Hard vibration starts at around 61mph and subsides at just over 70mph. Worse when going up hill. I think tires and such are ruled out since while its vibrating, if you take your foot off the throttle, it immediately stops. I figure if it were tires/rotors, it would continue regardless the engine load.

I've read through a ton of "vibration" entries and they always seem to point to tires/rotors or some other spinning item. None of them seem to mention if it only does it while accelerating like mine.

Oh, and if while going from 80 to a stop or lower speed, there's no vibration.

No vibration while braking (which would indicate warped rotor). I have those on my truck.... I KNOW warped rotor.

Thanks for reading :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that hydraulic engine mount is OK.. that was replaced about 20k mi ago. No vibration in ECO as long as not between 60-70. That mount was flat when we bought it so I know what that feels like and this is different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 Odyssey Touring, 135K miles

I have the same problem between around 55 & 70 MPH, while under power (accelerating OR going up hill). Similar story as OP. Wheels/tires good. Motor mounts relatively new (had vibration problem related to ECO and bad motor mounts).

I thought it might be transmission related, however it doesn't seem to be isolated to a specfic gear. Could it be torque converter?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this exact problem on a 2006 with 90K miles. Fixed it by replacing both front axles. Started by doing engine mounts...(2 out of 3 shot) .....but that did not help the vibration.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It is a long thread but I have been fighting this for a few months. I am getting close to having it completely sorted out with a lot of help from others:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-20...1-steering-wheel-shake-saga-continues-me.html

Bottom line is it can be a lot of things. One of the cheapest things is getting to a shop to do a road force balance. If it is worse when accelerating that is typically the axles or could be the torque converter but I had that symptom and after replacing the axles it made no difference. I did not opt to replace the torque converter but after getting the road force done it still shakes a bit, but I don't notice a big difference than when accelerating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2000 makes a rumbling sound when going up hills at 70 mph. The rumbling sound stops when I reduce speed to 50 mph or get to the top of the hill. No problems going downhill or on level ground. Car has 263,000 miles and I thought that the wheel bearings needed replacement. Dealer says bearings are O.K. and after driving eleven miles says there is no problem with the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just replaced my driver side axle. Had the same problem when accelerating between 55 - 60MPH.
While the boots were not torn, grease managed to sift through.
Paid 162 plus shipping (fedex ground, delivered on saturday) from ebay eBay My World - factoryhondapartsusa (
HONDA OEM Part#44306-SHJ-A01
I have a 2006 Ody, 120k MI

No more vibrations. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
You say Vibration gone after replacing the both drive shafts. Explain to me what you mean by both drive shafts. The engine has one drive shaft, what do you mean by both shafts. Or do you mean both axles, that connect the transmission to the front left and right wheels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This problem is due to the drive shaft it have excessive play either replace busshings of both side or replace drive shafts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Solved with axle change?

I have the same trouble, but it REALLY feels like the right front tire is wobbling left and right, as if the A-arm bushings are shot. I don't really want to just begin replacing parts randomly until it is solved.

·
Registered
2005 EXL donated 243K ,2019sienna XLE AWD
1,125 Posts
2007 Odyssey, 120k mi

Hard vibration starts at around 61mph and subsides at just over 70mph. Worse when going up hill. I think tires and such are ruled out since while its vibrating, if you take your foot off the throttle, it immediately stops. I figure if it were tires/rotors, it would continue regardless the engine load.

I've read through a ton of "vibration" entries and they always seem to point to tires/rotors or some other spinning item. None of them seem to mention if it only does it while accelerating like mine.

Oh, and if while going from 80 to a stop or lower speed, there's no vibration.

No vibration while braking (which would indicate warped rotor). I have those on my truck.... I KNOW warped rotor.

Thanks for reading :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that hydraulic engine mount is OK.. that was replaced about 20k mi ago. No vibration in ECO as long as not between 60-70. That mount was flat when we bought it so I know what that feels like and this is different.
If you have an EXL or Touring ,most likely the VCM activation vibration. I had the VCM muzzler installed and no more viibrations. See verbatim's thread VCM- a better way to disable. Hope all your motor mounts are in good shape.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have an EXL or Touring ,most likely the VCM activation vibration. I had the VCM muzzler installed and no more viibrations. See verbatim's thread VCM- a better way to disable. Hope all your motor mounts are in good shape.
Please refer to my Posts , i think you have same problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cink or jhildenbrand (1st and 2nd posters), did you ever find the solution? I know your OP's are pretty outdated now. I've been fighting the EXACT same problem since I bought our used 2006 EX-L two years ago. The service records from the dealer stated that they replaced the driver (front left) axle/driveshaft right before I bought it, and then I replaced the front right myself a few months later; this solved the vibration I was feeling at low speeds while turning (indicating a bad outer CV joint), but I've never been able to solve the strong vibration while lightly accelerating at high speeds (>60mph), which goes away immediately upon removing my foot from the gas and is worse when going uphill.

I've been suspecting the motor mounts, but they appear ok upon visual inspection as well as by touch. I even stuck my phone up in there and snagged a picture of each and they looked identical to the "good" motor mount images in a TSB. Additionally, there's no vibration caused by ECO mode, so it's not consistent with a bad rear mount. I've done the standard motor mount check procedure (open the hood, have someone hold the brake and shift to drive/reverse and apply a little gas), but it's inconclusive- the motor moves a little more than that of my other car, but still not all that much. I recently discovered that a friend of mine has the exact same vehicle, so if I can catch up with him sometime I plan to see how much his motor moves under the same conditions for a better comparison.

Now I'm suspecting that the left front axle replacement done by the dealer before I bought the van was done poorly or with cheap parts. While the boots are still intact, the CV joint housings (both outer and inner) look much older than those on the front right, which I replaced myself only 3 months later. I know the CV joints in a new half shaft assembly can be damaged if the technician isn't careful to prevent the axle from drooping during installation- I was very careful to keep this from happening when I replaced the front right. The symptoms seem to be consistent with a bad inner CV joint, as several posters on this thread have confirmed.

I guess I'm just hesitant to replace a part that I know was already replaced, but this all seems to line up. If anyone else has feedback to give it's welcome- it'd be great to hear from the OP's as to whether or not they solved their issue. Sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Have a similar problem. I normally do not drive this van. While on a long road trip, I drove the van entire time. There seems to be vibration between 70-85mph. I can duplicate each time.

Before the trip, I noticed this intermittently. Had 4-wheel balance done, alignment done. During balance, the tech noted all tires even wear at 6/32 and he double checked.

The shake happens while accelerating and lessens if I let go of pedal. This car is still new to me so I do not know the full history. Both axles seem to be oem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had fixed my vibration during acceleration only by replacing the driver's side driveshaft.

If the issue issue is present and unchanged by acceleration vs coasting, it is probably wheel balancing. By the way, wheel weights fall off and some wheel balancing jobs are better than others, so having them double checked isn't a bad idea. There are other potential culprits like a bent wheel, but this is more rare. Running the tire on a balancing machine you can see if the wheel bent real quick. I suppose a tire with a broken belt could also do it, but I don't know the exact symptoms.

Again, the difference is going to be:
-Acceleration only - probably driveshaft, but people mentioned other things to check
-vibration present during certain speeds no matter the condition - acceleration vs coasting vs braking - probably wheel balancing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Thanks marknhl. I will test out a bit more this weekend and start back on my to-dos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem vibration under load over 70 and goes away around 90 mph, I have taken it to the dealer and they couldn't find any issues other than maybe a tire. I took it to the tire shop to have it checked and they did come back with an out of balance tire but it didn't fix the problem. I just replaced the passenger CV axle without really any change but now I feel it more on the driver's side so I will be picking a driver's side one up in the morning. Really hoping to get this fixed soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok after replacing the driver side axle everything runs smooth. I think it was the culprit the while time but it felt like it was originating from the passenger side. So go replace the axles and you'll be happy. You can order the left axle from Autozone or other parts store with lifetime warranty, but so far only the dealer has the passenger side.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I replaced the passenger side front axle on my '03 with one I bought from NAPA, which, I believe was mfg by Cardone.
Buffalo4

1 - 20 of 30 Posts