Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am going do my best to help everyone out here who have had a vibration in steering/dash and describe my process and $$$ that fixed my issue. I hope to save someone some $$$ and time and have a smoother ride.

I bought used 06 odyssey touring, I depaxed w/ 17 inch rims, kumho tires, w/ 93000 miles. Installed rims and had a nice vibration in the steering wheel and console that started at around 70 mph and continued past that speed. Sometimes the vibration was greater than others and it seemed worse under load. Very strange. Sometimes you could feel it at lower speeds but not easily identified and not all the time. I also want to clarify that I did not have a vibration at idle or anytime other than on the highway or open stretch of road. I could go down the same stretch of road that I had just traveled 1 hour earlier and the vibration would be worse. Just very strange. I assumed if it was the balance of the tires then it would be the same under load or not under load. I did have one symptom that was almost 100%. When traveling up a hill at 70+ w/ foot on gas it would vibrate and sometimes very severely. You then let your foot off the gas and no vibration. A cup of water in the console would shake pretty quickly. This is the only thing that was 100% on my vibration symptoms. So now I start my process to try and fix my vibration.

I installed all new rotors, brakes and still had the issue. I did not think this would fix the issue but it did fix the shake when braking moderately. I knew the rotors and brakes were toast when I bought the car. After the new rotors/brakes I had perfect braking. I also installed new shocks on rear just for fun.

Next I took it to Jeff Wyler Honda in Frankfort, KY for some other maintenance(brake cylinder recall), alignment and had the tires balanced. They said that one of the tires not up to spec and the run out was not good. They verified this on a Hunter GSP9700. So I called my depax guy and he gladly sent me another tire. I still had the vibration at 70+ after the new tire but I thought it did seem a little better, but I do believe that was just wishful thinking.

At this point I started investigating on this forum and noticed a lot of bad rear engine mounts and that fixed a lot of vibration issues for people. I was reluctant and very busy so I did not have time to do the rear engine mount and I was not going to let the stealer do it.

So at around 100,000 I had the timing belt replace w/ all the other maintenance and they checked engine mounts and said one as a little worn on the passenger side. It was the cheap mount not the mount that cost $400+. Had this fixed at stealer. Well guess what that did not fix the vibration. Still had vibration at 70+. I drove like this for several months and really was perplexed. I assumed that my tires were balanced perfect so it had to be my engine mounts.

I now decided to replace rear engine mount. I got a brand new rear engine mount for around $420 shipped. My friend and I installed and guess what? I still had the vibration, it seemed a little better but again I think wishful thinking. I drove for a few more weeks and found a front engine mount on ebay for around $230 shipped. A guy bought one and never installed, my gain. I installed the front engine mount on Sunday and guess what? I still had the vibration at 70+ mph. At this point I felt that I would never fix the issue. I even started toying around w/ different tire pressures. I tried 35, 36, and 40 psi in all tires cold and guess what no difference. I did not feel this would help. I think 35 or 36 psi on cold tires is the best setup on the odyssey.

I am now $650+ in the red trying to fix my vibration and luckily I can DIY or else I would be $1200+ in the red.

So yesterday at work I had a little free time and headed down to Tire Discounters here in Frankfort, KY, directly across the street from Jeff Wyler Honda. I now have 110,000 miles and the vibration is just driving me crazy for 17000 miles. I told the guy my issues and said strip all weights, dynamic balance on the Hunter gsp9700. I also told him to put the 2 best balanced rim/tire combo on the front. He told me the cost was $20. I said get to work buddy and told him I did not think it would fix my issue. He came back about 30 minutes later and said the rims/tires were counter balanced by the previous shop(Jeff Wyler Honda w/ a gsp9700). I looked at him like he was crazy. He said they rebalanced all the rims/tires and it now drives very nicely after his test drive. He also said the right rear tire was small amount out of round or the run out was not perfect. He did say it was so minor that I would never notice it and not to worry about it. I told the guy thank you and headed out the door. I still did not believe it would drive any better at 70+.

I drove all the way home about 30+ miles and guess what it drove smooth as butter. Considering it would come and go I still was not a total believer. I drove to work this morning and still no vibration at higher speeds. It seems I now have my stupid vibration fixed. The odyssey now drives like it is suppose to. I have no idea why Jeff Wyler Honda can not balance a tire, w/ the best tire balancer on the market. I thought the Hunter gsp9700 was ID10T proof. The computer tells you where to put every weight. I just wonder how many cars are getting tires there and they are living w/ a vibration. I think most people just chalk it up as the road causing the vibration. In reality its the installer or machine is junk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a similar vibration issue with my 2006 Odyssey Touring which was similarly resolved by a re-balance of the wheels at the CarMax dealership where I bought the car. I don't know what type of balancing machine they used.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had similar virbration issues with our 2003 Odyssey. I replaced almost the same things that you have and have had several different tires and even rims mounted and still have the vibration. Maybe I should drive to Frankfort to get them balanced again.. and see what happens. : )

·
Registered
349 Posts
Every shop could be using a state-of-the-art Binford 2000 Dynamic Harmoic Inversely Proportional Balancer or whatever but in the end some monkey still has to select the right wheel weight and apply it in the correct location.

·
Registered
90 Posts
LOL I understand exactly what you are saying. Finding talented competent mechanics is hit or miss and "tire guys" are usually at the bottom. : ) I am hopeful; however, that I can find a good place to get the tires balanced.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have an odyssey 2007 EX-L and I have this issue as well.

I have both factory allows + Toyo Exensas and steelies + Toyo Observe G2. Both exhibit the same vibration at 110+ km/h and sometimes I don't feel on some roads. I was perplexed as well.

Honda Richmond Hill told me that all my tires are out of round. I called my trusted mechanic and he said 'bu!!$xit' on what Honda told me. He said it's a matter of balancing.

I haven't had a chance to re-balance my tires yet but I need to get them to balance it cause the vibration is strong enough that I can hear my wrist watch bracelet shake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I too have this problem with our 2008 and it has bothered me since we bought it over a year ago with 54k miles on it. It now has 64k miles. When we test drove the car the tires were completely worn out, so we chalked the steering wheel shimmy up to bad tires. Had the tires replaced and the vibration went away at lower speeds; however once you get above 55mph the vibration comes and goes depending on the speed. It seems like the sweet spot is 72mph and no shake. Anything around that, the degree of vibration changes. We took the van back to the tire place and they determined the new tires they installed (Firestone FR710) would not balance properly so they ordered me a new set. Put those on and the vibration was better, but still not satisfied.

It stinks owning an expensive van and having to deal with something like this. I guess Ody's are very sensitive to wheel balance.

I live up the road in Louisville and Tire Discounters are popping up every where. I gave them a call and they said they do RF balancing for $59.99. I'm due for an oil change next week and then we are taking the car on vacation at the end of this month, so I hope to have the RF balance the tires before leaving. I'll report back and let you know my findings.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I too had the annoying vibration for a while, roughly 55k kms while, i got all engine mounts replaced, and vibration got better but still there and noticeable. 3 weeks ago i got new tires, got them balanced and all, and vibration is gone.
Honda couldnt figure this out, always saying normal, road conditions blah blah blah.
guess just a case of being badly balanced by Honda...
Lesson learned

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had a similar journey to yours. It turned out (after trying many things) that the hub bore diameter in the after market wheels was a little too big to match the perfectly manufactured aluminum hub rings. At one point some tire dealer said the tire had a broken belt, which turned out to be bogus.

Returned the aftermarket wheel under waranty 13 months after purchase, it was stil under the manufacturer warranty that covered factory defects. The replacement fit snugly with the hub ring, and the vibration was gone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A good road-force balancing solved my issue, which was a slight vibration at 70+ mph. $100 to do all 4 tires. They strip all weights, then hit it with theh machine that simulates road force with a bar that goes across the tire while it is spinning. Then they broke the bead seal, turned the tire to best match the tire weight with the rim weight, which minimizes the amount of weight needed as much as possible. Then they apply the weights and walla, no more vibration. This on the OEM Michelins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts