Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2001 Odyssey with about 160K miles. When driving over perfectly smooth road, the ride is fine. But when driving over road that is just slightly rough, there is a vibration or rattle in the front. I guess rattle is more accurate. It feels/sounds like something connected (directly or indirectly) to the wheels, but I'm not completely certain.

Any suggestions on what this could be, and/or how I could (cheaply) diagnose the problem?

Part of my dilemma is trying to decide whether to keep the van. Ideally, I'm thinking about buying my wife a sedan to use for most tasks, and keep the van for the occasional haul.

Thanks for any help!

Mike

·
Registered
447 Posts
Try this when parked (when your front brake calipers are cool!!)
Grab the front caliper and try to shake it, if it is loose and clunks around, that is
probably the noise you're hearing on low speed bumps.
Search this site for "caliper pin" for a DIY fix. Or show your mechanic and he'll probably
want to replace the caliper to fix it. Either way, it's not a huge expense.
If both calipers are tight, then you may have to look at strut mounts or bushings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Swaybar end links rattle around when worn too. Try hitting a pothole with one wheel, and listen if it ratles on both sides, you could also just reach around the tire, and give the end links a wiggle top and bottom. On mine it is the bottom on both sides that became loose in the joint before the tops.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it is the brake caliper you can also make the noise go away if you step on the brake peddle slightly while going over that rough road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts