Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite what the Panasonic EXL-RES DVD demonstrator disc says, you CAN play recordable CDROMs in the DVD drive. I tried several makes of CDR and some CDRW media, all failed.

I then looked around on the web, and found some text suggesting that CDRW's from different manufacturers might work better or worse(ok, they can't really work worse!).

I stumbled across a CDRW from Imation(3M), at least I think thats it. Its been floating around the computer room for years now, and has no identifying marks.

I used Nero to build myself a videoCD from a sample of video I found on the web. Loaded it into the DVD drive of the van, and much to my surprise, it worked just fine! Good quality video, at least good enough for a 7" diagonal screen.

Now its time for a full-length feature!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most DVD Players have single laser pickup. Therefore, they cannot read the Gold CDRs. On a single laser pickup, a blue/green CDR will work - not the Gold ones. That is why the imation works.

There used to be a compatibility list maintained in the newsgroups that provided compatibility details between media and DVD players. [Perhaps a search in Google will uncover it?]

A word of caution, just because it plays CDR media does not guarantee it will play CD-RW.

Most CD-RWs are Blue/Green and may work.

If you burn a VCD, try VCD 2.0

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I found that page you refer to. It does not have data for Honda's DVD, so I guessed it was similar to the Panasonic units. They simply will not play CDRs, from what I can tell there.

I'll try the blue green CDR's. I have about 80 of them from long ago, and assumed they wouldn't work.

The CDRW that did work is silver in appearance. I've never seen a non-silver CDRW.

Nero worked fine for the VCD I produced. I'll experiment some more....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, you are right, CD-RWs are silver. It must have skipped my mind.

Thanks for the correction.

BTW, my choice would also be to use NERO to burn the VCD.

[This message has been edited by starlight (edited 03-08-2002).]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked up Memorex and Imation CDRW's, and will be trying them out in the van for both audio and video use in the next few days.

I expect to try out video formats beyond VCD as well.

Thanks for the links!

R

·
0 Posts
Hi Superdad,

I would be very interested in the results of your experimentation as I too have been struggling with trying to burn some VCDs that my kids like to watch. In my case, Rugrats, Veggie Tales, and anything Disney.

Regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts