Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally started seriously shopping for a video system in my Odyssey this weekend. I had a few things that I decided were necessary for my situation. I wanted two video sources mininum, so I decided on a hi-fi VCP and a DVD player. A mobile tuner was also a possibilty. I needed two rows of viewing, so that people in the second and third rows would not have to share a monitor. And, I needed switching capability so that the two rows could each have independent signals to watch. After all was said and done (i.e. after installation charges and tax were added), I was looking at a $3300 hit in the ol' pocketbook. HECK THAT!!!

What I'm finding out is that it's not the video sources that are hurting me, it's the display technology and installation that would knock me out. I had decided the third row would have a drop down monitor system, and that alone would set me back over a grand without even having a video source. The second row would be serviced by a 7inch LCD monitor mounted on a flexible pedestal between the front seats. That would have set me back another grand. So, right there, I'm talking over two grand, and I don't even have a video signal to pump through it. Furthermore, I haven't even talked yet about upgrading the audio portion of the Odyssey.

Screw that. Maybe the kids can stay happy with their GameBoys for a little bit longer.

------------------

2001 Odyssey EX
1999 3.2TL
1997 GS-R 4-door
1995 NSX-T

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Hey FuryNSX, long time no see.

Have you considered doing it all yourself?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim F,

Hey back at 'ya. I haven't posted much lately, just been lurking. Mostly been doing stuff on the NSX instead.

Yeah, I thought about it. I used to do stereo installs, but that was ten years ago. The work I did was okay, but it was never perfect. Nowadays, if I pay to have someone else do it, at least I can point at something I'm unhappy with and have them fix it. I'm sure I'd never get around to it myself.

But if I did decide to work on stuff myself, I'd need to figure out how to take out the stock head unit. Do we have that information available to use either through the website or some other source?

------------------

2001 Odyssey EX
1999 3.2TL
1997 GS-R 4-door
1995 NSX-T

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey Fury,
I hear ya. I'm taking the "build up" approach to my system. I can't find screens that fit my needs now either.

I have my head unit, the Panasonic CQ-DVR7000U, which is a combo DVD/VCD/CD head unit with DD built in, dual zone capability, multi-source switching, etc. Paid $550 for mine online.

Adding to that amps on all channels and custom sub solution (in spare tire well), along with steering remote interface. Already have decent main/rear speaks. Audio portion, except center is done then for a reasonable budget. Then I add screens and center speak when LCD technology and availability catch up. I can wait a little for the right screen.

Of course I'm saving dough by doing all my own install.... Just thought I'd chime in, since I'm coming from the opposite direction.. (I just gotta have good sound first!)

p.s.- check Chuck's pics for how to take out center console...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
585 Posts
Dude, you got a 2001 Ody EX, GS-R, 3.2TL AND an NSX and you're complaining about the cost of a video system???

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooops, gotta go change that signature; don't have the GS-R anymore; have an SC400 instead now.

shinjohn,
Yeah, I started thinking about just upgrading audio first just like you. Heck, I could spend a lot less initially and have good, clean, CRANKIN' sound and it would still be easier to install since I don't need to worry about working with the headliner. Still, I'd need to get to the head unit. Where are Chucks's pics? And what did you end up doing regarding steering wheel interface?

BTW, that's a dang good deal on the Panasonic. If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get it?

------------------

2001 Odyssey EX
1999 3.2TL
1995 NSX-T
1992 SC400

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FuryNSX:
Ooops, gotta go change that signature; don't have the GS-R anymore; have an SC400 instead now.
</font>
Geez, what happened, only an SC400? sheesh...
But really, man would love to have your sig!
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Where are Chucks's pics?
</font>
http://www.fototime.com/inv/E5EF2F60BF78337
And what did you end up doing regarding steering wheel interface?
</font>
Both peripheral and PAC make an interface, they are practically identical.
http://www.go2pac.net/flash1280.html

The SWI-3 interface

http://peripheralelectronics.com/periph_products/steering_interface.htm
BTW, that's a dang good deal on the Panasonic. If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get it?
</font>
http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/panasonicmobilevideo.html
It's sitting in the queue, waiting to get installed. I'm way behind on my projects...

Good Luck,
SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shinjohn,

Thanks for the info. While at Chucks site, I noticed pics for removing the center panel. Is that the best way to get that off? I also noticed Dorhn Hanson's pics regarding stereo mounting. That should be helpful also.

Have you installed the steering wheel interface? When you do (if you haven't already), can you post your observations regarding the item?

Wow, those are really good prices on the equipment. Were you satisfied with their service and recommend?

Thanks a bunch!!!

------------------

2001 Odyssey EX
1999 3.2TL
1995 NSX-T
1992 SC400

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey Fury,
Don't know if Chuck's are the "best way". There's a thread on this very topic...

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000229.html

Have not done the steering interface install in the Ody, but others have in this forum. One thing to note is that the location for the IR transmittter is important. Mounting it above in the map light area seems a good place. I can post comments when I get around to mine.

I was happy with wholesaleconnection. Called my order in, unit arrived in less than a week, shipped from TN. I called them and talked to the sales guy a bit, asked some questions, was satisfied, so I ordered. My unit is brand new, not gray market or anything. Have a receipt and factory warranty applies. Not all people have this comfort level with internet commerce. I have yet to be burned on any purchase over the net (knock on wood). I would recommend for the bargain hunter.. One interesting tidbit is that my unit was shipped to me from another, larger e-tailer, who sells the unit for $700 instead. Go figure. My receipt and credit card charge match the e-tailer, not wholesaleconnection, but that's fine by me. This is a form of "drop-shipping". Many people are uncomfortable with this, but I'm OK.

Note as another option, many retailers are clearing out the Pana 909, which is the previous generation, with DVD-Audio, DTS and integrated center speaker. Crutchfield has it for $599 and I've seen it on Ebay ALOT cheaper. Good option, Videonavi has one. I didn't select it because of two issues: I don't like the motorized center speak (reliability issue and SQ not what I want in a center.. most important channel!!!) and you cannot pipe radio up front when DVD is playing in rear (private mode). The newer 7000 has better private mode implemenation (any source front vs. rear) but no DTS or DVD audio. Neither is that important to me though.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've seen that Panasonic 909. That's a nice price, too, but I've heard the interface isn't all that intuitive. How are control issues on the unit you have? (Ooops, wait, you didn't get that put in yet, did you. Let us know when you do.)

------------------

2001 Odyssey EX
1999 3.2TL
1995 NSX-T
1992 SC400

1 - 10 of 10 Posts