Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post this as a new subject since the recent availability of the Pioneer part necessary to make this happen just resurfaced (see the buy/sell forum)

Ok, here's the link to the VOMN instructions at acura-tl forum:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=9003

Here's Steve's instructions in a nutshell from the May 2001 time-frame (eons in Internet-time
). That URL above takes an OBSCENE amt of time to load on my browser, so I thought in the interest of saving time & consolidating info, I'd repost the step-by-step here.

Steve, please let me know if anything has changed since you posted this; I'm still confused by the GEX stuff, but was curious if the AVC-RGB1 is the way to go still? TIA

video decoder instructions:

materials required:

(1) Pioneer AVC-RGB1 video decoder - Available from sources on the Internet or from Pioneer Electronics dealer for $100 -
$150.

(1) 4PDT switch - A electronics store "Active Electronics" stocks these, Radio Shack does NOT. Or the switch I use can be
ordered on the internet as part #8405

(3) 18" of 4-conductor shielded wire that can reach between the navi display unit and location of your 4PDT switch. I like to
use wire with a green, white, red and black conductor(s). The color wires will match up to the Honda wire colors (except for
the black that is used for the yellow wire).

(1) package 16 pcs. of Radio Shack small telephone butt-splice connectors.

misc. Solder and shrink tube

Instructions:

Solder each of the 4 conductors from each wire to your 4PDT switch. This is a total of 12 wires to be soldered. Match all wire
colors to the 3 switch posts. A large shrink wrap tube around the switch and posts makes it safe and professional install.
Also wrap all the wire shields together (NOT connected to the switch).

Once you purchase the Pioneer AVC-RGB1 you will need to make the following modifications:

1. Open the decoder up by removing the 5 screws.

2. Pull up the power wires and disconnect the plug from the circuit board.

3. Remove the printed circuit board by bending the two metal tabs straight and removing a screw.

4. Once the circuit board is out you need to locate the DSEN test pad on the back of the board. Use a small piece of wire
and jumper the DSEN pad to a GND location on the back of the board or bring out this wire to mount to parking brake
switch. Note: The DSEN signal is "Display Enable" and it tells the AVC-RGB1 circuit that there is a display connected. It must
be shorted to ground to enable video.

5. With the circuit board removed located the hole next to the rectangular opening where the green connector goes. Bend
the tab out of this opening and feed one of 4 conduct wire through the opening.

6. With the board still out locate the 4 bare exposed wire jumpers on top of the circuit board next to the green connector.
With the connector facing you these jumpers left to right are Red signal, Green signal, Blue signal and composite sync. Use
the wire you put into the box and Solder from right to left (because it's easier) the green, black, red and white wire to these
jumpers (rememer these colors are from right to left!). Take the shield from the wire and solder it to the diode solder joint
(GND) on top of the green connector.

7. Put the circuit board back in the box and plug the power cable back in.

8. Now intercept the video signal to the navi display unit with the 4PDT switch. The wires from the center poles on 4PDT
switch need to be connected to the display units input. The other sets of 4 wires each go to the wire harness from the navi
computer and the decoder box. Matching wire colors to the navi plugs wires.

9. Connect the decoder power wires for up to the navi display unit OR car stereo power leads. If hooking up to the navi
display unit 20 pin connector make the following power connections.

Orange = Pin 1 (constant power)
Blue = Pin 2 (accessory power)
Black = Pin 10 (ground)
Yellow = No connection (Illumination)

10. Cut 1 to 2 inches back from 20 pin connector on the navi display the white, red, green and yellow wires. The white wire is
the (R) signal on pin 8, red wire (G) signal on pin 9 and yellow wire the (B) signal on pin 18. The green wire is the
(Sync)signal on pin 19.

11. Using butt splices match each of the 4 wires to the 20 pin navi plug (white, red, black for yellow and green). Crimp
these connections. Do the same for the 4 wires in the wire harness. The signal flow and connections will route like this:

Navi computer -> Wire Harness -> 4PDT switch
Display <- 20 pin connector <- 4PDT switch (center contacts on switch)
Pioneer AVC-RGB1 decoder -> 4PDT switch

12. Plug in your composite video source and test, put the dash back together and enjoy the show!

This is about all the instructions needed. Hope this helps a few of you. And of course no warranty is implied or intended with
these instructions. Your pretty much on your own if you mess it up.

Best of luck,
Steve

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI (1700 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A long time ago...in a forum far far away Nestor posted:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The only thing that's not mentioned (and often overlooked by the moders) is how to route the sound.</font>
If you were only intersted in a generic install of, say, a PS2 and flip-down LCD, wouldn't the FM modulator you're using for your flip-down LCD handle this? Likewise, you could recieve the audio via the wireless headphones.

I take if you're talking about a situation where you might want a *different* video on the NAVI than is showing on the flipdown?

..or is this issue specifically directed at those whom VOMN is the only video display in the vehicle?

Hey, does the NAVI audio voice still work when in 'video' mode? That would be cool as the front seat passenger could watch something on the screen and the driver could still get the audio version of the directions without bothering them.

Yummy! I think this is going to be a fun mod!

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI (1700 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has anyone on this forum performed this mod yet? I'm REAL interested in this one...

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not much has changed. I'm still hearing reports of people able to find the Pioneer AVC-RGB1 decoders and others not. I won't start making kits again due to decoder availability and time. My hope was the instructions where good enough for people to make their own.

I've done a few local install's now. One in a TL and I'd recommend people mount the decoder next to the navi computer (not in the dash as my instructions read). The reason being is the dash is difficult to take apart and 4PDT switch needs to be ordered over the internet. If mounting the decoder in the rear use a 4PDT 12VDC relay and socket sold at Radio Shack. You can then mount any type of SPST switch up front to energize the relay when changing to video.

I've had a couple people have sucess with Pionner GEX-P7000TV instead of the AVC-RGB1. The GEX has good features, built-in RF Mod, TV tuner, 2 A/V inputs, Wireless remote etc. I haven't posted GEX install instructions, but do have a Excel sheet with RGB cable modifications required. The thing about the GEX design is it requires a Pioneer RGB display (AVD-505 or newer model) connected to the GEX to show on-screen text display and channel labels. This monitor can be hooked up in parallel with navi display and mounted in the rear. Or if you don't mind not having channel numbers all the time and video source input labels you can possibly hook this up to composite video rear output on the GEX. This way you can have seperate video on the navi and AVD display.

I'm happy to answer any questions. And YES the navi computer and voice prompts are fully operational when you have video playing on the screen.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hooray! Thanks for the input, Steve! ...you make me feel like I can actually pull this off. (I have *NO* doubt Nestor can! LOL)

------------------
Marvyn

2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)

·
1,484 Posts
Steve,can you tell me exactly what I need to get at radio shack? From what I've read I need to get a 4PDT relay, socket, switch (any kind?) and what is this about a "1N4001 diode across the relay coil to prevent reverse current"???

Please be specific as possible.

Thanks,
Nestor

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 4PDT 12 volt relay is easy to find at Radio Shack, ask your sales person. Located close on the rack find a socket to fit this relay. I highly recommend using 1 foot piece of shielded 4 conductor (White, Red, Black and Green) wire to connect between the relay and AVC-RGB1 box as my instructions state above in this post. The difference between using a 4PDT switch and relay is the wires from the AVC-RGB1 are connected to the normally 'Open' contacts of the relay.

The best mounting location for the AVC-RGB1 and relay are behind the navigation computer or behind the dash. If mounting behind the dash or under passenger seat (next to navigation computer), the first thing to do is prep the relay socket. This means connecting a long red and shorter black wire to the socket pins that the relay coil will plug into. Then place a 1N4001 diode across the same pins. The silver band side of the diode goes to +12v side of the coil. The other side of the coil will be ground. A dash mounted switch will provide +12 volts to energize this relay, but when no power is applied the relay will continue to pass navigation video signals to your display unit normally. Now solder the connections for the new wires coming from your AVC-RGB1 decoder to the relay socket 'open' pins. Make note of your wire colors and what signal is on each wire. Match up all wire colors (except substitute black for yellow).

Wire Color = AVC-RGB1 = Honda Wire color
White = Red Signal = White
Red = Green Signal = Red
Black = Blue Signal = Yellow
Green = Sync. Signal = Green

Mounting behind the navigation computer (under passenger seat) you will want to disconnect the center black connector and pull back black protective shield to expose the White, Red ,Yellow and Green wires. Cut each of these wires in the middle and place your relay socket in the middle. Using the relay schematic (on back of relay package) solder the 4 wires from the navigation computer to the normally 'closed' relay contacts. Solder the other 4 wires going to the navigation display unit to the 'common' relay pins. NOTE: Make sure to match your wire colors going across from each other!

Hope this helps more and your starting to get the picture!

[This message has been edited by VideoNavi (edited 07-30-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics Nestor pics!
I can't seem to find anything nearly as detailed as your & Chuck's pics on the acura-tl site. I don't want to make a $2k mistake trying to hook this thing-a-jiggy up and you are FEARLESS!

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm starting to fear you bought the last one. Its been showing 'ship in 2-3 days' for 10 days now!! I sent their customer service an email asking what is going on...if they're back-ordered it may mean I won't be seeing one at all.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
I'm starting to fear you bought the last one. Its been showing 'ship in 2-3 days' for 10 days now!! I sent their customer service an email asking what is going on...if they're back-ordered it may mean I won't be seeing one at all.
</font>
Any word on the unit Marvyn?

-Nestor

·
Registered
92 Posts
The picture Nemogira posted of the AVC-RGB1 and switch was my prototype and shot shortly after the 1st successful test. It has a 4PDT switch instead of a 4PDT 12volt relay. Both do the same function, but here is what I'd recommend:

If you want to place the decoder behind the dash (navi display unit) you can use a 4PDT switch or a 4PDT relay. The 4PDT switch can be ordered over the internet, but the relay can be found at Radio Shack. The 4PDT switch can be mounted in a blank fog light cover switch with slight modifications to the cover.

If mounting the decoder next to the navi computer (under passenger seat) you pretty much have to use the 4PDT relay. Then run 2 wires for a dash mounted switch to turn the relay on.

Install Notes: Unlike my picture, I'd recommend using white, red, yellow (or black) and green shielded wire to run from the AVC-RGB1 decoder to the switch/relay. This will help you match wire colors up with the Honda wires you will butt splice together. Also the wires coming out from the decoder box are routed thru a sheet metal hole in the right side (not shown in pictures). A small rubber grommet helps here (also sold at Radio Shack).

[This message has been edited by VideoNavi (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wooo hoo!!!

I got my AVC-RGB1
I got my AVC-RGB1
I got my AVC-RGB1

and you can't have none...cuz you're on the WELFAREEEEEEEEE.

Came today (or yesterday maybe?) sitting on the front porch. The odd thing is; the status never changed on their website and I never got a UPS tracking number. It looked like it was sitting there waiting to be filled like a backorder.

Anyway, I emailed them and they said it had shipped...and obviously they were telling the truth!

Now...gonna go ahead & order the traveltheater from autotoys & pick up a PS2 at Target (or maybe Amazon will run a $50 off $200 deal or something) so I put it all together...

This is going to be fun (nyvram rubs his hands together) I may just sit in the Ody & play GT3 for days!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Steve wrote:

You can then mount any type of SPST switch up front to energize the relay when changing to video.
</font>
Hey Steve,

Can we just order the foglight switch by itself fom HandA or somewhere and use that? Will that work? What does SPST mean?

I like the idea of the switch matching the interior perfectly and I dont intend on paying $300 for foglights.

I'll check w/ Trevor & see if this is a part we can order separately (or maybe they sell a generic switch made by Honda to put there)

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, one more comment then I'll shut up:

Steve, is the "Video On My NAVI Enhanced" (see in one of your pics in the gallery) an actual badge or did you make that w/ a label-maker or is that Photoshop? I would love to have that decal if it actually exists...you do, after all, deserve the credit for coming up w/ this mod.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Now...gonna go ahead & order the traveltheater from autotoys & pick up a PS2 at Target (or maybe Amazon will run a $50 off $200 deal or something) so I put it all together...

This is going to be fun (nyvram rubs his hands together) I may just sit in the Ody & play GT3 for days!
</font>
Marvyn,
You might want to check with Circuit City (if u have one in your area) or Good Guys. They had a PS2/GT3 package going 2 weeks ago for $330.
I've been playing GT3 for 2 weeks now.After logging in around 10 hours play time per weekend, I have it 46% completed. AWESOME game. You-must-get-it !

------------------
-Rob-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://www.fototime.com/inv/46E6936F1F9A447

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Honda fog light switch to turn on the relay should work just fine and can be ordered (separate from the fog lights) from Honda parts dealer. I think it has a white outline of a light, but that would be OK.

Oh. The label of "Video On My Navi Enhanced" was done with a label printer that prints white letters on clear tape. I can make you one if you successfully made a Video On My Navi kit and send me your mailing address to [email protected]

1 - 20 of 85 Posts