Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expanding the Video On My Navi system, I've now included a 3 input and 3 output A/V switcher made by Pioneer Electronics. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,512,00.html. The control panel for this switcher mounts on top of fold down extending center table (on the extending slide out) perfectly. The hideaway box with video connections mount under the drivers seat. The 3 monitors controlled are a Clarion baby seat display, Video On My Navi and Clarion OHM-641 flip down ceiling mount (all seen in photo Gallery, VideoNavi).

Next project:

Drawing on inspiration from my Poron Mini-3P back-up sensors installation and Infinity Q45 commercial, I'm mounting a camera inside the rear tailgate that will be auto displayed on the navi screen when the van is placed in reverse gear. The color camera is a NTSC composite with attached mounting plate. It's the type made for for PC video conferences. Most of these are USB now, but this old model is a perfect gray interior match and made by Noteworthy. The sweet part of this install is the mount fits perfectly on top the center rear tailgate interior plastic trim!

·
Registered
910 Posts
How do you wire it so that it would automatically switch to the camera whenever you shift to reverse ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
How much would you charge to build me one of this units that I could install it in my 2001 tw ex-n? Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The video signal from the camera will be sent through a SPDT 12volt reed relay. The Video on my navi also uses a 4PDT 12volt relay to switch between navi and video. When the reverse lights come on it will energize these relays switching navigation screen to video and input to camera signal. Simple!

I'm happy to share with Odyssey owners how to make a Video On My Navi kit, as I've done with Acura TL owners. The primary part is Pioneer's AVC-RGB1 decoder ($100-$140). The other parts needed include a Radio Shack 4PDT 12volt relay and socket, wire and appropriate dash mounted SPST (or SPDT) switch to change from navi to video display, 1 foot of 4 conductor shielded wire (white,red,black,green) and a wire pair to reach your dash mounted switch from under your passenger seat (navi computer location). Package of wire taps and slide on terminals, like red or blue ones sold at radio shack.

Recommendations: Mount dash switch in fog light cover if you don't have fog lights. Also the automotive or other switches at Radio Shack don't look so nice, so check with your car stereo shop for nice black switch. Accele makes a very nice switch with a LED.

I've also engineered how to use the Pioneer GEX-P7000TV instead of the AVC-RGB1, but it requires a Pioneer AVD monitor for on-screen text display. The AVD monitor can be placed in the rear and connected to GEX rear video output jack, like the AVD-W6010 mounted to back of center table top or AVD-W8000 mounted to head liner (pioneer to bring out flip down monitor housing soon).

On the subject of building kits -
I won't make kits up for other people, but will help you over the phone or in email.

VideoNavi

[This message has been edited by VideoNavi (edited 07-28-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Nice setup Steve! So each screen can have seperate video sources outputed? Also, can't wait to see how the reverse cam turns out. I've seen the Q45 backup cam in action and it's a very cool feature.

As for the "basic" VideoNavi setup - can I actually find all the other parts at Radio Shack? In your original instructions you said they don't have the 4PDT switch. The 4PDT switch and relay are the same, right?

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
585 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VideoNavi:
The video signal from the camera will be sent through a SPDT 12volt reed relay. The Video on my navi also uses a 4PDT 12volt relay to switch between navi and video.</font>
I'm a little confused (nothing new). So there are going to be *2* switches? The 4PDT and the dash-mounted LED swich you mention below? Do you have to flip *both* switches in order to toggle between NAVI & other video?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm happy to share with Odyssey owners how to make a Video On My Navi kit, as I've done with Acura TL owners. The primary part is Pioneer's AVC-RGB1 decoder ($100-$140). The other parts needed include a Radio Shack 4PDT 12volt relay and socket</font>
Is this it?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F008%5F005%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D214

The specs according to a RS catalog I have are:

Cat.#: 275-214 (4PDT plug-in, 12VDC, 120mA, 150(omega), 4PDT. 5A at 125VAC ($6.49 + $1.99 for socket). I'll bet I can find on cheaper in town at a local electronics outlet.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">wire and appropriate dash mounted SPST (or SPDT) switch to change from navi to video display, 1 foot of 4 conductor shielded wire (white,red,black,green) and a wire pair to reach your dash mounted switch from under your passenger seat (navi computer location). Package of wire taps and slide on terminals, like red or blue ones sold at radio shack.
</font>
Hopefully I can give my local geek-shop this list have them fill it w/ the correct wires, etc.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Recommendations: Mount dash switch in fog light cover if you don't have fog lights. Also the automotive or other switches at Radio Shack don't look so nice, so check with your car stereo shop for nice black switch. Accele makes a very nice switch with a LED.</font>
I'll keep looking until I find a nice one that compliments the dash trim.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I won't make kits up for other people, but will help you over the phone or in email.</font>
Got an Instant Messenger account?

<table><tr><td>
</td><td width="20" img="http://demo.healthstream.com/content/challenge/images/clear.gif"></td><td><font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size="1" color="#454545">Marvyn - 2001 SS EX-NAVI (2000 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'Xenon Blue' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights
</font></td></tr></table>

·
Registered
36 Posts
Question - do you only need the pioneer decoder to convert the composite video signal to the format expected by the LCD?

I just installed the IVES, and one thing I would love to do is be able to flip a switch and have the navi screen display the same thing as the flip-down screen (so we can quickly check to see if a tape is rewound, find a particular part of the tape, etc.).

I am wondering if I could just tap into the wires going to the flip down screen and run that through a switch, since the signal is already formatted for an LCD.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm back from our weekend video packed trip, let me answer your questions.

Nemogira - Yes, each screen can have seperate video and audio (headphone jacks and speakers). On this last trip there was a time when 'Home Alone' DVD was playing on the overhead with headphones, a Disney VHS for the baby and Camcorder playing back on navi screen! And with the Panasonic in-dash DVD you can have multiple audio sources in the front and rear too.

Yes, for the AVC-RGB1 Video On My Navi kit you can get the 4PDT relay and socket from Radio Shack. The URL provided was correct, but didn't show the socket. The socket will allow you to cut and solder the 2 sets 4 wires (white, red, yellow, green) on the back of the navi display easier.

nyvram - A relay is electrical switch, so the 4PDT relay is turned on by a single dash mounted switch (can be LED type). When the switch is off the relay is NOT energized and passes the normal navigation display signal. When it's energized it interrupts the video signal to the display and provides the video signal from the AVC-RGB1.

Mikester - You have the problem that caused me to engineer the Video On My Navi kit in the 1st place. It's so easy now to just flip a switch and see what is on the back display! As for just mounting a switch to place video on the navigation screen - it won't work. You need a video decoder to change composite video (signal from your IVES to LCD) into RGB signal required by RGB navigation display.

[This message has been edited by VideoNavi (edited 07-29-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's see, I'll need an active video splitter and two bumper mounted cameras to start this job... "Oh, honey I'm about to cut holes in your Odyssey bumper" Maybe one day...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I still use the LED's in the fog light switch cover. There are only 2 LED's in the cover, but 3 switches and 1 small red button (kind of looks like LED). The red LED tell's me when the rear monitors are ON and green LED displays when cellphone mute is bypassed (not on very often and time out after 12 minutes).

I really need to take more photos of Pioneer 3x3 switcher on center table and the mounted rear window camera.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts