Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Video On Your Navi Screen

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  moose 
#1 ·
My first post to this forum, but thought you would like to know what I've done to our family Odyssey and a special decoder I created that plays video on the factory navigation display (more on that in a minute).

First I installed a rear seat entertainment system, like the ones talked about here. It's a Clarion OHM 6.5" display just aft of front seats, mounted to headliner. A Sony VCR under the driver seat facing rear and Clarion TV tuner TTX7701. At 1st used a portable DVD player then decided to go for in-dash stereo replacement. I selected the Panasonic CQ-DVR909U. It has in-dash DVD player with Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD Audio (DVD-A) and built-in center channel speaker. Even allowing for seperate sources to play on the front or rear speakers.

Here is where things get interesting, I added a couple special features.

1. I integrated the factory navi voice into this unit.
2. Used PAC programmable infrared steering wheel controller for 3 factory buttons, plus added 4 more buttons in the holes behind the steering wheel (7 total steering wheel radio buttons).
3. Added Pioneer CD-CM1 for muting the audio when a cell phone is in-use. Built a 15 minute override timer for this should the kids be watching a movie in the back seat.
4. Added a 6.5" Bazooka subwoofer tube in the very back (next to jack campartment)for those Dolby Digital/DTS soundtracks. The 3rd seat can still fold up and down.
5. Replaced rear 4" factory speakers with Alpine 4".
6. Installed Panasonic 8 disc CD-Changer under passenger seat facing rear.

All the switches and indicator lights, including the navi/video switch are mounted in the blank cover for the foglight switch.

Ok as you can tell, I'm a little crazy! The crazyness doesn't stop here... One of the problems we faced was starting up DVD's for the kids. We couldn't see the opening DVD menu from the front and use the remote control to scroll around and start a movie. I knew there had to be a way to put the video on the factory navigation screen. This became a mission a real quest! After much research, I figured it out and even sold a few decoders to Acura Navigation System owners as a product called "Video On My Navi". Recently I wrote up instruction on www.acura-tl.com's electronics forum to let others build there own video decoders for navigation displays. I thought a few of you Honda Odyssey owners might be interested in this too and was directed to your site.

So if you have a interest in playing Video On Your Navi, check it out! Put in a in-dash DVD player ($799-$1300) and you can have instant "Video On your Navi".

If you have questions, please feel free to ask. Please understand that this has turned out to be a very popular idea from Acura TL and CL owners and I get many questions already.

Thanks,
VideoNavi (steve)

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Steve!! I was wondering if & how it would be possible to get video on the Navi screen. For everyone interested, here's the exact link to the instructions: http://www.acura-tl.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000513.html

David
'01 GG EX-NAVI (the end of this month).
---------------------------------------------
"I hope if dogs ever take over the world and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas." -- Jack Handy.

[This message has been edited by groupset (edited 05-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by groupset (edited 05-03-2001).]

#4 ·
How I did navi voice on aftermarket stereo..

The factory radio plug has left and right navi audio channels, plus a mute lead that goes +12v when the navi speaks. I used a small reed relay to reverse this signal to GND when the navi speaks.

The Panasonic CQ-DVR909U has a small outboard 4 channel amp. This is where tapped into the inputs for the front L&R audio channels. The navi voice signal is pretty strong, so I used 10K resistors in line too.

The only difference between my design and the factory is the radio volume controls navi volume on the honda radio. This is not a problem, because the navi setup screen has volume adjustment.

#6 ·
nemogira,

Did you get the navi that was on eBay? I was going to bid on it but wasn't confident enough that I could make it work. Let me know how it works out and what pitfalls to avoid, as I still want to get one.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

#7 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by my_2001ody:

nemogira,

Did you get the navi that was on eBay? I was going to bid on it but wasn't confident enough that I could make it work. Let me know how it works out and what pitfalls to avoid, as I still want to get one.

</font>
Ohhhhhhh...yeah. I really regret not getting the NAVI when I first got the Ody. But now that's gonna change. Will it work? It better work! If it doesn't - I'll make it work! I've thought about doing this for months now and I think I know what I have to do. Just some re-wiring here and there and I should be able to get it to work. Keep your fingers crossed people. I'll keep you posted.

-nemogira

#8 ·
Hey Steve,

Glad to see you here. I was wondering if you were already a member, but I kept forgetting to ask/invite you.

I had posted an old message here contemplating using the AVC-RGB1 "instead" of your setup. ( http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000019.html ). That was before I contacted you directly. I didn't know that was the very product that you were modifying.

I recant my statement that the price was way too expensive. At the time I didn't realize what was involved in decoding the signal.

For those interested in performing the mod, I have had a very difficult time obtaining the AVC-RGB1. I contacted a number of online vendors and waited for weeks before two different vendors cancelled my order because they couldn't get the component.

In the end I ordered it directly from Pioneer (for full MSRP of $140) because I got tired of hunting. If I'm lucky it will be here today.

-Brad a.k.a.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior/Wings West Kit

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 05-05-2001).]

#9 ·
Steve,

One more question - do you know where I can get a 4PDT rocker switch instead of a toggle? Preferably black.

------------------
Lorax
'01 SS EX-Navi
Leather Interior/Wings West Kit

#10 ·
RE: Switch

Four pole - double throw (4PDT) switches aren't easy to find. If you want a different type of switch, I'd go for a relay design. This allows you to select from any single pole switch, even the lighted ones! Radio Shack as a lighted 12V automotive switch that isn't bad, except it runs hot so you need to put a 500 or 1K resistor on ground side. Radio Shack also has the 4PDT 12 volt relay and socket that could be used instead of the switch. You could intercept the 4 wires (white,red,yellow,green) with the relay socket at the navi computer. I'd also recommend putting a 1N4001 diode across the relay coil to prevent reverse current. The silver band on the diode goes to +12v side of the coil.

Happy to help and wish you luck building your unit!

#11 ·
Pictures of my Odyssey have been posted to the Gallery, including video on the Navi screen shots. For those interested in my silver switches and lights in the fog light switch cover they are (top to bottom, left to right).

1. Navi (up) and Video (down) switch
2. Small red push button for 15 min. bypass on cell phone mute (the kids in back watching a movie request this one when mom is talking on the cell phone!).
3. Green ON indicator light for cell phone mute bypass.
4. Red ON indicator for rear monitor(s)
5. Small switch for selecting navi video source. (Up DVD player, down whatever is playing in the rear).
6. Power ON for rear monitor(s) and TV tuner.

P.S. Thanks to Jim for posting the pictures!

#14 ·
AVC-RGB1 ???????

I ordered the AVC-RGB1 yesterday, but I have doubts that I will ever see it. If I don't get it does anyone know where it can be had or if there is an alternative? I will post the results if I get the part I ordered but the site I ordered if seems to be down now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.