Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations for adding video... a little info about how it would be used... typically, to keep children (8-12 years old) entertained on trips. Would like not to spend too much and am reluctant to make modifications to the van myself - not really a DIY. I sort of like the "bag" type systems but wonder if they hold the monitor/screen high enough to avoid car sickness over time... not sure if the backseat theatre, that requires attachment to headliner plus has a transmitter for the VCP signal, has real good picture quality. But $1,000 and up is too high to spend right now for something that will only be used every so often... ideally, would like a "bag type" with a decent sized screen if it holds the screen high enough. Thoughts? Where is that best place to buy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fry's is selling a Samsung 15 in LCD TV / Monitor for $700. (SyncMaster 150MP http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/prod/it_products/[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=calldikgejkbedicfcffcgfk.0&prod_id=150mp&category= %2fIT+Products%2fMonitor%2fTFT+LCD) This is a light weighted (10 lb) high quality computer monitor and a TV with A/V, S-Video input and remote controller. If you need a flat panel monitor at home and can find a way to hold it in place in your Ody, then this may be a good choice. Imagine, it is more than 4 times lager the 7 in screen, which in my opinion is still too small.
I'm thinking get one of these thing for my desktop computer and for my ody, but the price is still too high for me.
Many places are still selling this unit for more than $1000. However, you may get it at lower price from E-Bay. But be aware, LCD price is dropping rapidly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We struggled with the same issues and decided on the following solution. We purchased a Playstation 2 for the gaming and DVD playback capability, when in the van it fits nicely under the driver's seat and is accessable to the rear passengers. We then purchased a 9' Philips ac/DC Tv, not a combo TV/VCR, because it fits perfectly under the flip down tray. We bought the wedges for the TV from Target for $15 that we use to secure the TV and angle it when in use. We also purchased a AC/DC converter from Target for $40 with two outlets that plugs into the front power outlet, runs under the front carpet to under the Flip tray for easy access. We then purchased an FM modulator from Radio Shack for $40 that plugs into the headphone output on the TV, is AAA battery powered and routes the sound to our Radio, acceptable but not wonderful. When not in use we remove the PS2 and bring it into the house for the kids, the TV stays hidden under the flip tray or can be brought in too. Since we only use this setup for long trips of over an hour or more we can also drag along a nintendo64 and swap it with the PS2 if we want, very versatile. Total cost was very reasonable and we have the max Flexibility, best of all we made NO modifications on the Vehicle. How well does it work? Great!! Three kids playing games then watching DVD movies at a 3 hour stretch and not one complaint of car sickness or "When will we get there" syndrome. Next we are going to try some cheap FM radio headphones so they can "tune into" the FM modulator and we can listen to the factory radio at the same time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott -- thank you for your post... do you have any pics? Would like to see how well the wedges hold the TV in place...

I ended up ordering a refurbished unit from video traveler... it has a 5.6" lcd monitor, stereo vcp, 2 headphones and was about $350. My kids already have a lot of videotapes and we don't have any DVDs, so for us I think this will be a good solution. But if not, I might try a different route. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
35 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scottsaba:
...We bought the wedges for the TV from Target for $15 that we use to secure the TV and angle it when in use.</font>
Can you remember the brand or what the name of this item is? I'd be interested to see how it works. Seems like it would have to be mounted to the floor of the van to be safe in an accident.

Thanks,
descentr

·
Registered
10 Posts
The brand name is "Axius Elite", it has an adjustable strap to hold the TV to the Wedge and the bottom piece sticks to the carpet with velcro. The wedges push the TV about 2/3 way under the Flip Tray at an angle. We are not concerned about the TV flying out in an accident, it is wedged in pretty tight. I am more concerned about getting beaned by that BRICKBAT of a purse Mom has laying on the floor! One more item.... the FM Modulator we were using has been replaced by two pair of headphones which are wired to the output on the TV by a splitter. Mom decided that she really was not interested in listening to AAron Carter or listening to, but not watching, movies, all the way to the Frio tomorrow. I will try to get a photo posted of the setup when we get back next week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you chose to go this route, please make sure all of your components are firmly attached to the car.You may consider building a slide rail system (using hardware from furniture) or something similar to secure all of your accessories firmly in your vehicle.

You will not believe the force of an impact in the event of an accident. I have heard stories of people getting seriously getting hurt from radar detectors flying off front windshields.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
35 Posts
Scottsaba,
Thanks for the info. I will be checking this out.

toyman,
I agree that this is a concern. Though I ran across some information some time ago that talked about the sheer strength of velcro. Seems like it was over a hundred pounds per inch. I can't remember exactly tho.

Also, the only time I would have this in the vehicle, would be on a long trip. On those trips, there are usually many things that could cause a problem:

Purses a.k.a BrickBats
Small coolers (the 6-pack variety)
Various toys (stored in the rear)
Computer bags
Personal CD player
Books (hardcover)
Drinks (cans, bottles, sippy cups)

Any one of these things can cause problems. I believe that will carefully packing and planning, you can minimize the risk, but you'll never completely remove it.

descentr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts