Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the Bay Area owners, I just read today's issue of the San Jose Merc. and they have a DVD player/5" screen combo for sale at $299.No brand given. The screen is the headrest mount,not flip down. Check out Fry's.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
They also have the 5.4" flip down with DVD for $399. My brother just got the 6.4" system with DVD at $599. The DVD player is a Blaupunkt and the video screen is a Clarion. My brother loves his. David

------------------
2001 Tafetta White EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sigh. Too bad we don't have a Fry's here in TN. I'd love to peruse the shelves...

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Sigh. Too bad we don't have a Fry's here in TN. I'd love to peruse the shelves...</font>
Don't be too depressed. I remember reading in the tech news that Fry's bought some online retailer w/ infrastructure etc... I'd expect Fry's to have some online presence for sales in the not-so-distant future. So hold tight!

FYI, they do have a "tele-sales" office out of the Sunnyvale store, but if that's anything like customer service at any of the store locations, don't even bother.

Fry's is pretty cool if you know exactly what you want to buy, or are a techie freak and want a place to browse and kill time. The sales "staff" and customer service are notoriously poor. Ask anyone who shops at Fry's! I defintely have this love/hate relationship with this store.

here's a couple of quotes from Fry's advertising, to give you an idea of how cheesy it is....

"From microchips to potato chips, Fry's has it all!"

"Your best buys, (shooting laser sounds) are always at Fry's!"

Now what was the purpose of me posting this reply again?

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shinjohn:
Don't be too depressed. I remember reading in the tech news that Fry's bought some online retailer w/ infrastructure etc... I'd expect Fry's to have some online presence for sales in the not-so-distant future. So hold tight!

FYI, they do have a "tele-sales" office out of the Sunnyvale store, but if that's anything like customer service at any of the store locations, don't even bother.

Fry's is pretty cool if you know exactly what you want to buy, or are a techie freak and want a place to browse and kill time. The sales "staff" and customer service are notoriously poor. Ask anyone who shops at Fry's! I defintely have this love/hate relationship with this store.

here's a couple of quotes from Fry's advertising, to give you an idea of how cheesy it is....

"From microchips to potato chips, Fry's has it all!"

"Your best buys, (shooting laser sounds) are always at Fry's!"

Now what was the purpose of me posting this reply again?

-SJ
</font>
I agree 100%-Fry's can have some incredible bargains (I got a scanner for $100 less than the cheapest online source a few months ago), but you can't rely on the sales staff to give you any useful information. The Fry's near me in Manhattan Beach appears to have been built in a former polynesian resturant, with tiki style signs, bamboo entry turnstyle, and other similar decor that went out of style with all the Don the Beachcomber resturants. "Barkeep-I'll take a double Mai Tai and some 512 MB SDRAMs on the side!" :)

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you buy anything with a rebate at Fry's, be sure to check their math. I bought an LCD monitor there yesterday, and the display card read:

$349 Store price
- 50 Mail-in rebate
--------------------
$289 Final price

I looked around and about 1/3 of the rebated items had similar fuzzy math, all on the low side.

Mike

·
Registered
568 Posts
Be careful when you buy at Fry's. Don't buy their "open box or refurbish items". If you want to return something back. "God Bless You". I did find some bargins there once a while.

The one at Burbank is larger and better. Manhattan Beach Fry's is a joke, but it so close to work. If you try to ask for help from "Sales staffs",
they don't know more than you do. LOL.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Lojack

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like gambling? If so, be sure to ask tech questions to the Fry's Electronics sales staff members. That's exactly what it feels like...

A long time ago, I worked at Fry's (while in college) and I quit after 7 days. It was the most disgusting experience. The sales folks would literally make up answers. The training was a joke. Customer service? They've never heard of it. Yeah, they do have good prices, but I'd rather pay a bit more for a knowledgeable sales person and quality treatment. I go to Fry's when I know exactly what I want, but lately I've deliberately not been buying from them. The small savings is just not worth the headache and hassle if something goes wrong.

My $0.02.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey All,
This $299.99 system, I have one.
A friend of mine wanted one, I was at Fry's in Cambell, it was the last one, and I picked it up. He said he'd pay for it, but backed out. Fry's has a 30 day return policy, so no big deal though...

Just thinking about my Odyclub friends not in CA and wanted to offer this system to anyone interested. It is brand new, I just opened the boxes to make sure everything was in them, and didn't hook anything up.

The system consists of a Blaupunkt DVD-ME1 Player:

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/video/video_01_dvdme1.html

and an MA Audio M50 5" LCD display

It looks like the 6.8" display shown on this page.. Scroll down to where it says "Feautures 6.8 In. Active Matrix TFT...."

http://www.maaudio.com/productcatalog.cfm?class=167

I paid $299.99 plus 8.25% sales tax for a total of $324.74. I have the receipt, so manufacturer's warranty applies. If someone wants it, I'll double box it, and ship it to you for cost of unit + actual shipping charges + $15 "handling or finders" fee for my time.

Let me know if interested, I'll take it back to Fry's next week if I do not hear from anyone.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts